• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External Rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Supershanks

Well being running my 1st loop for a week. Had originally planned to have a free standing external radiator using1/2" Quick Release How & what - Help .

In the end i'm rather smug with my solution for the radiator location

waterCooling%20045.jpg

The radiator support is an empty 120mm fan placed over a blowhole i'd made earlier.

Although i have a large case mounting a 3x internal radiator internally would obscure the mobo if put in the top or cause severe modding & reduction of internal bays.

This solution by comparison is very simple & easy to implement. It crossed my mind that it could be also be useful for anyone with either a smaller case or who don't want to mod that much.

Added a hole for tubes edged with blowhole trim
waterCooling%20061.jpg

need to tidy cables etc.,
waterCooling%20029.jpg

Kit Installed:-

• Alphacool Black Ice GT Stealth III
    D-TEK FuZion CPU Block
    Swiftech MCP655 12v DC Pump
    Swiftech MCW30 Chipset cooler
    13-20mm Jubilee hose clip (1/2" hose) (13-20mm = 1/2-3/4" ) x20
    XSPC Bay Reservoir (Black) 1
    Akasa 3 pin female to 2 x 3 pin male (Fan ) splitter cable x2 (for rad fans)
    XSPC 1/2 Flexible Tubing Ft 26.24 (plenty for future mods:D)
    Super Coolant 25ml (WAZEXR25ml) = Zerex
    De-ionised Water 1 Litre
    3/8" BSP barbs for 1/2" x4
    PTFE tape for sealing all screw in connections x2
    YateLoon D12SH-12 150 m³/h @ 12V ca: 40 @12 x6(replaced all case fans)
    MCubed T-Balancer bigNG 4-channel Fan Controller

Results:-
Therrmalright Ultra 9x389=3500 vcore 1.5125v
2007-04-03-21h36-CPU1.png

Watercooled
2007-04-09-13h54-CPU1.png

Am currently running 24/7
9x400 vcore=1.55v
2007-04-09-16h31-CPU1.png

And it's so damned quite:beer:
The T-Balancer makes fan control fully automatic & is a great asset.

Nice setup, nice case. I'm so happy with my PCV2000. My cables used to look like yours, and then I made an effort to route them behind the mobo tray and behind the upper drive bay. There's a pic in this thread:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=508095

It took awhile to run all the cables, and my setup is still not the cleanest. I cut a few notches to run some of the power cables behind the upper drive bay, but I could still cut a hole behind the MB to run other cables through there for a cleaner look. I also tucked all the cables in the lower section behind the rad and power supply. Took an afternoon to do all this, but the airflow is much better and the looks are vastly improved.

My one recommendation is to remove the lower hard drive supports. If you're not keeping any drives down there, just unscrew them and store them somewhere.

Nice job, Supershanks.

The front part of the rad is a bit close to your case. Easily solved by adding a second fan corpse to get a little more clearance, though.

Thanks guys:)

@aaronjb they are great cases, an almost perfect design although i would, i think on balance be even more enthused if they did a conventional ATX mount for the mobo then I'd be using a windowed sidepanel:) . Atm i'm right handed so case sits on my right & so that side is nearly always obscured.:D

I did take the time to add a couple more cable cut outs onto the other side of the case near the existing 1, at the side of the 5.25" bays. These carry my sata cables & the tbalancer sensors (x8) + fan cables (x6) + fan sensor cables (x4) But yep your right 7 i am gradually tidying cables.
waterCooling%20068.jpg

I may well do a phase 2. This would see the power supply raised to it's upper position which would give space to fit the pump on the floor of the psu compartment. This would give access to all drive bays again. I'd need to cut a new psu panel but that should be easy , using the existing as a template
waterCooling%20074.jpg

And drill out the psu shelf rivets, can use screws & use it as an option when needed.
waterCooling%20076.jpg

The pump would go to the left front corner.

@Otter
The front part of the rad is a bit close to your case.
Think it's probably personal preference rather than any performance hit, the centre fan of course blows through rad into case via the blowhole.
waterCooling%20051.jpg

So only the 1st fan on the left exhausts through the bottom of the rad onto the top of the case. It might be worth expanding the existing blowhole & having a 2nd empty fan frame, but atm i'm not that energised, i think raising the psu will give more benefit.

I'll take a couple of pics of my cables and pump placement later today and post them in a new thread (along with the crazy pictures of the messy old setup).

A funny story about the V2000 MB mounting: I just moved to a C2D setup, and my new mobo has an LED BIOS post code readout. The bootup is stopping at post code 05 - which indicates and error with the video, even though I'm getting video to the monitor. I spent 30 minutes researching the problem until I remembered the the mobo is upside-down, and the post code is really 50 - USB problem. I unplug my iPod shuffle, and it boots up perfectly. That was a "duh" moment for sure.

I'll take a couple of pics of my cables and pump placement later today and post them in a new thread (along with the crazy pictures of the messy old setup).
That would be good:)

I spent 30 minutes researching the problem until I remembered the the mobo is upside-down, and the post code is really 50 - USB problem. I unplug my iPod shuffle, and it boots up perfectly. That was a "duh" moment for sure.
:D

Great pics aaron :) Not sure if my cabling will be that tidy but i'm improving:)

A bit off topic but how do u find that ocz memory cooler, i have 1 but found it more like mobo jewellry - shiny & bright but not very effective.
The temp sensor i taped to my memory only showed about 2C cooler. I got it originally in preference to the corsair thinking the fan size 2x60mm rather than 3x40mm would be quiter but more effective. I've since got the corsair which I find much better. Not sure if i got a dodgy 1 or what.

luck:D

I'm not sure what I think of the OCZ cooler. I hate the silly blue lights and the chrome coloring, but it was cheaper than the Corsair cooler. I should pick up a temp probe to see if it has any practical effect.

I hate the silly blue lights and the chrome coloring
yep that's what i meant by
1 but found it more like mobo jewellry - shiny & bright but not very effective

Well the sheet aliuminium i ordered came today so i made a new back plate for my psu so that it can go on top.

waterCooling%20081.jpg

Needs painting & i have some mesh to cover the 80mm fan holes. Have put a shelf in to support mobo like the originl. Was quite plesed the psu fits better than the original.:)

The psu compartment seems much bigger
waterCooling%20086.jpg

waterCooling%20091.jpg

got all my drive bays back:beer:
waterCooling%20088.jpg

waterCooling%20089.jpg

Think that'll do me for a while i'm going to spend a bit of time with samurize to put together monitoring data from mbm & T-Balance this is a wip:-
samurize.JPG

Back