• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSP Blue Storm 500w is good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Never used the OCZ models but I have a blue storm in my office PC and it has been solid for over a year on a mild OCd CPU and GPU, havent tried to push it higher, besides I think it is board limited, not PSU so all in all a great PSU from my experiences.

FSP is one of the best values in PSU's in my experience.
Heres something else to consider:
If you open the case on an OCZ Gamestream 700, printed right on the circuit board is "fsp700 80glc". Thats right, the highly regarded OCZ gamestream is actually a rebranded FSP 700 80 glc, (which sells for $40 less BTW).

I have used FSP for the past 3 years; 3 different units, one of which ran 24/7 folding for > 1 year, all with 100% stability.

I have been using a bluestorm for almost two years. It powered my main rig with a A64 3200+, then I upgraded to the X2 3800+ last August. Been working great, I even measured the rails with a DMM and they were solid. If you search you can probably find the exact DMM results I posted.

Should be fine. For another $10 or so you could get an Enermax Liberty 500 or Seasonic s-12 500. They seem better.

mortimer said:
Should be fine. For another $10 or so you could get an Enermax Liberty 500 or Seasonic s-12 500. They seem better.

but they seems not bringin enermax or seasonic here in indonesia :(

Yah every company has exceptons. As a genral rule of thumb... Fortron is good (not always true though...) and and comapny that is known for making something else... is usually not good and making whatever the new product is..

OCZ/ThermlTake are perfect examples. Both have changed those opinions recently and Corsair jumped into the PSU game feet first. Granted all of these companies dont build their own PSUs and you can get the same things cheaper with out hte brand name... but still... its good to know they try :)

Neur0mancer said:
Yah every company has exceptons. As a genral rule of thumb... Fortron is good (not always true though...) and and comapny that is known for making something else... is usually not good and making whatever the new product is..

OCZ/ThermlTake are perfect examples. Both have changed those opinions recently and Corsair jumped into the PSU game feet first. Granted all of these companies dont build their own PSUs and you can get the same things cheaper with out hte brand name... but still... its good to know they try :)

Thermaltake?

The new Toughpower some how adopted CWT. So i dont think their quality is improving.

However i agree their cooling products has gotten WAY better (Big Typhoon is no joke) . Remember the Golden ORG POS? lol

I've been using the original Ax500a Bluestorm for almost 2 years now in the wife's rig, Slighlty O.Ced Venice 3400 with a 68gt, Not one single hiccup, Paid about $75 with shipping at the time, Liked it enough that I got another one for this computer a little over a year ago, Again, Not a single issue.

The AX series are a step down in quality from the Sparkle monsters, more bling oriented. However as Scott has seen, you should have no problems in an average single card system. The voltage regulation is not too impressive as I found out with 2 x 6800GS SLI (even with an FSP-600GLN), but for a single-card system you should be o.k. A lot of people tend to ignore the power hogging chipset when making calculations. A stressed out 965 can be a bit tricky if you don't have the right PSU.

I love the Bluestorm power supplies, I'm running one in an Athlon XP-M and another with an overclocked E6600 micro. They're good power supplies, neither one has given me issue, except that the led on the power rocker switch is dead on one of them. Oh well.

My old FSP 200W is a beast it weighs a ton So yeah should be gurrrd, since OCZ oem is FSP your paying for the name wiht ocz,

Back