• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
This is the 65th in the series of T32 Spotlights!! I'll try my best to keep this Spotlight as regular post as possible as long as the nominations keep coming in!! So, keep sending me the nomination guys/gals!!!

NOTE: For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD, or better yet, you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

Sleepy_Steve

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is ok if you don't know the specific date.
November of '06 -- Yes, I'm a bit new to folding :D

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?
I have just built a rig with an E6600, and an X1950XT... I will take it back to shcool with me and see what numbers i can get out of it.

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
EOC stats for Sleepy_Steve

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city' would suffice)
Most of the year I live down in Blacksburg VA attending Virginia Tech. For my few breaks, I spend some time in PG county MD at my dad's place... Like 15min east of Land Shark.

How did you initially hear about F@H?
All these links in peoples sigs, as well as learning about it from my time making my procs crunch for our seti team.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
The catalyst for me joining the team was when we (my family) confirmed that my grand father had lung cancer. My first result was returned on the 6th of november, by the 17th he was no longer with us. That is why i started to, and now continue to fold. I am however a stats junkie and they keep me bussy trying optimising things untill i go back to school to spend time away from my mini-farm.

What do you do for a living?
Full time student.

What do you do for fun?
Overclock, Im generaly a hardware nut... I watch my share of movies and anime... as well as PC gaming, mainly MMO's and the occasional shooter to unwind. I am also into cars, more on this latter.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
I have a 240sx, and its a fun little car. I try to take it out to as many Auto Cross events as i can each season. It needs a good bit of work before its compeditive, and a bit more work still before its ready for some track days up at sumit point or VIR. Anyway, I love driving... and love driving fast even more. Needless to say, I am known to hit some back roads at high speed when there is not an Auto Cross to go to that day.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
Its brand freakin new, and will basicaly be my "do everything rig" for the forseeable future.
E6600 @ 3.2 for now, waiting on a better cooler.
X1950XT 256mb For teh fold and gaming.
2x 1gb Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800, bassed on the C4 chips i think.
250W AT PSU for fans, lights, opticals, and FDD.
610W PC P&C PSU for all the expensive stuff.
Drives... 2x80 gb SATA, 1x 160GB sata, 2x 320gb IDE, floppy / multicard reader combo, and 2x DVD writers.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)
Yes, Kindof... Small, and not at full production atm, although i hope to get it there by the time i leave for school.
My Pint M laptop, 1.9ghz w/ 1gb dual chanel DDR2 533
My old AMD XP laptop @ 1.0 ghz w/ 256mb ram
Two old Celeron 950's @ 1.33 ghz w/ 256 and 512mb ram respectivley
XP 2400+ @ 2.0 ghz w/ 2gb ram
P4 3.2 @ 3.6ghz w/ 1gb ram

And lastly... E6600 @ 3.6ghz w/ 2gb DDR2 800 ram

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
Set up an instance of NotFred's diskless folding before i go back to school. As well as run the full 2007 AutoX season in the BRR SCCA region. Beyond that, Im not too picky, get out of school... find a fulfilling job, or a well paying deskjob... start a family eventualy. Continue to enjoy my hobies. Thats about it.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
Let there be cheesey poofs!!! :beer:

And Sleepy_Steve had sent us some photos too!!

Old Main PC
DSCF2307.jpg

New Tower, no WC on it yet.
DSCF2300.jpg

My 240
LeftFront.jpg

Old But accurate Pic of myself.
n6225613_23438.jpg

Hey Steve, nice to meet another local o/c member!! I work in Bowie, MD too, may be that's closer to you?! might meet you up one day!! especially if you are going to Summit Point, shoot me a PM, I'm instructing w/ the New Jeresy Chapter of BMWCCA, and go with all other clubs (PCA, CarGuys, FoW, other chapter of BMWCCA, etc.) @ Summit Point too!! (Summit is my home track :D )

however, I'm most likely taking a break in 07' tho (will only be instructing, not driving :( ) 'cos I've sold my sport car since Oct last year, and the new one (deposited) won't be here till at least fall!! so, it's most likely too late for the track season this year.... :-/ but I can still come see you @ any local autox event tho!

I'm glad to meet you some more Steve :)

And it's great to have great new blood like you on the team :thup:

Good luck with your schooling ... I have many fond memories of those days.

:beer: :beer:

its always good to meet another steve on these forums , you cant have enuff steve's I always say , the more the marrier

silent bob said:
its always good to meet another steve on these forums , you cant have enuff steve's I always say , the more the marrier
Aye, seem to be quite a showing of us Steve's around these boards :D

Now i just need to get grub back and use Linux again... That way Hookj5 wont pass me so quickly. The farm has changed a bit since the interview... I droped my 3 slow rigs. It just wasn't worth the trouble for less than 20ppd. So goodbye Cellerons and AMD notebook. I borged a 3500+, and got the conroe up to my goal of 3.6 :beer:
So far, having 5 PC's folding seems to be doing alright :cool:

LandShark said:
Hey Steve, nice to meet another local o/c member!! I work in Bowie, MD too, may be that's closer to you?! might meet you up one day!! especially if you are going to Summit Point, shoot me a PM, I'm instructing w/ the New Jeresy Chapter of BMWCCA, and go with all other clubs (PCA, CarGuys, FoW, other chapter of BMWCCA, etc.) @ Summit Point too!! (Summit is my home track :D )

however, I'm most likely taking a break in 07' tho (will only be instructing, not driving :( ) 'cos I've sold my sport car since Oct last year, and the new one (deposited) won't be here till at least fall!! so, it's most likely too late for the track season this year.... :-/ but I can still come see you @ any local autox event tho!
I've never been to summit, maybe i should start working events there if i get time. After all, corner workers get the best seats. :attn:

The 240 needs better rotors before it gets to go to the track. Seems to have some warping issues. Then there are some aero issues up front, it seems without a lip and some splash guards, too much air gets under the front of the car. So it tends to float / loose all down force over about 100ish. But once that's fixed, yeah... I'm all about a trip to summit. The rest of the car can be considered ready (unless i need a roll cage, then I'm boned).

As for the car wish list in addition to the above issues... I'll need some new piston rings at some point, i figure i want to get new pistons at the same time for 10.5:1 or 11:1 compression. It will need a new timing belt soon as well, and i thought i should have that Altima intake cam i 'found' dropped in as well when i do that (i forget the exact cam durations, but its an 8 degree sooner opening). Oh yeah, and i want new (read better) suspension, rims, and tires.

Of course it dosent help that here in VT we've had two or three straight days above freezing and so i have been thinking about my car again now that its warm. :D

Oh one more thing... @ Land Shark.

What kind of BMW did / will you have?
And who do you recommend for coil over kits?

I don't get up for events at home that often (in fact, i don't get home much at all these days)... Its $25 for an AutoX down here, and the events allow for walk up registration if i forget. Back home its at least $40 a shot for the same thing. But I'll be sure and send a PM if i get up to summit.

Nice to meet ya Sleepy.... hold on, I think I can help you out with that last request. :D

ssp13.gif

Sleepy_Steve said:
Oh one more thing... @ Land Shark.

What kind of BMW did / will you have?
check your PM :cool:
And who do you recommend for coil over kits?

I don't get up for events at home that often (in fact, i don't get home much at all these days)... Its $25 for an AutoX down here, and the events allow for walk up registration if i forget. Back home its at least $40 a shot for the same thing. But I'll be sure and send a PM if i get up to summit.
Ground Control is one of the very best suspension company (not just for BMWs), especially for the track junkie community and the pro race team! many pro race team use their products too! my old car was using their coil over kits too!

I haven't been to autox for awhile now (I too started from autox too and agree it's one of the best training ground!), but iirc, the local SCCA and BMWCCA's autox is still about $25 or so.

Nice to meet my #2 threat :)

I almost went to VT, freaking BEAUTIFUL campus, cool weather, good engineering program. Just was a little too far from home.

Oh and I have 06 rsx type-s so I'm into driving too
vtec228.gif

Back