• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard rubber standoffs - Test Bench

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Battle_Rattle

Registered
I made a ghetto test bench (see below) from some wood scrap... Anyone know of a place where i can get tall (about half inch) rubber standoffs. The standoffs would touch where the case standoffs would secure the motherboard... I have tried hardware stores but nothing suits the need...

Would rubber touching any part of the bottom of the motherboard be fine?

P1010121.jpg

Captain Slug said:
Standoffs made from rubber are not available because rubber cannot hold a thread. Plastic would work.
http://www.mcmaster.com

Why exactly do you need the standoffs to be non-conductive?

Ok I confused you.... apologies...

When building a computer I'll have the motherboard on the lower level (just to make sure all is good and overclock before putting into the case)... What I was envisioning was securing rubber pads to that lower level on the exact spots where the ATX form factor screw holes are... and then placing the mother board on top of those rubber "standoffs"... Am i thinking about this too much, should i just put down non-static foam?

Here's an updated pic... one where i have some kind of non slip wood working foam on it... dimensions are 17x11x9 and the fan is a low speed yate loon... should be very handy while building

P2120008.jpg

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, but when you have open ventilation and no way to pressurize the area where the board is... why have the fan? I mean... air travels in the path of least resistance also, which in this case means it will just come right from the sides against the wall and shoot right out the fan, never even touching the board.. Unless this fan is just to make sure the 3 pin molex's on the board are operational?

JLangevin said:
Out of curiosity, but when you have open ventilation and no way to pressurize the area where the board is... why have the fan? I mean... air travels in the path of least resistance also, which in this case means it will just come right from the sides against the wall and shoot right out the fan, never even touching the board.. Unless this fan is just to make sure the 3 pin molex's on the board are operational?

Hiya JL....

Well the motherboard will be on the bottom (the dimensions are fairly large.) The fan is offset and will simulate in some way the front intake fan of a computer case. While negative pressure will probably be present, the temporary motive will be to create pressure at all. Understand also that a HSF (si-120) and possibly a NB fan will be in the mix as well (thats what will satisfy any bootup requirement)

It will work, the true thing I have to be careful of is trusting any sort of overclock I get in this setup.

Thanks for your question man...

The real project in this was building that computer stand, the test bench was an after thought... curses to Ikea and any other furniture store for not making suitable full size tower stands :)

I use rubber well nuts for my standoffs. In the US 6-32 machine screws and nuts fit right thru motherboard mounts fine. If you use nuts and spacers, you can make your standoffs any length.

Scaffolding2.jpg

They're available at ACE hardwares, haven't seen them at Lowe's or Home Depot. Available for cheap from mcmaster's search "rubber insulated rivet nuts 6-32".

navig

ps love my test benches!

Navig said:
I use rubber well nuts for my standoffs.

There we go! Thanks heaps Navig...

Now all i need is a motherboard... e6400 and GSkill pc8000 in hand... Motherboards nowadays are too boring or too expensive :D

Susquehannock said:
I always use the stuff it came with - anti-static bag and box. Not pretty but it works.
Your set up looks much better.

You do realize that anti-static bags work because they're conductive, right?

pdehn said:

weirdness, I run mobos on their anti-static bags all the time with no problems. didn't even occur to me :D maybe it depends on the bag?

the antistatic conductive side is usually the inside of the bag only. The plastic is usually coated in graphite poweder and 'glued' Cheaper than making fully antistatic plastic.
Basically it's plastic sheet with one side coated to conduct

pdehn said:
I've never found any that actually have a conductive surface. I've never had a problem using them as a base for outside the case builds and my MM reports the resistance as infinite.

Someday, when I have some free time... I'd like to do some all out tests on anti-static bags to see what they are capable of protecting hardware from.

Back