• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XSOS v3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pf.Farnsworth

Just wanted to share something exciting with the community.

We at Xtremesystems.org have the pleasure of having NN_step and his team working on an alternative to Vista, its DRM baggage and m$'s approach to a healthy OS. NN_step is working with microsofts help and blessing. There is a contract and while the OS is free, its closed source until the time set by m$ expires. It looks very promising and we are all very excited.

XSOS v3.0 is somewhat of a linux and windows based OS. The plan is to provide a DRM free, clean, free, and performance oriented alternative to Microsoft Windows Vista; for gaming, overclocking, benching and general day to day use.

Some of the more important things to touch on

-XSOS v3.0 is completely DRM free
-XSOS v3.0 is free to the public (it is asked that you own at least one copy of any m$ os but not enforced)
-XSOS v3.0 supports DX10
-XSOS v3.0 supports pretty much everything windows supports

I am not a programmer neither am I directly involved in the project so please do not post questions or PM me with questions.

The information is available at Xtremesystems.org in the appropriate XSOS v3.0 home threads and I am sure NN_step would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

XSOS V3.0, The Smarter, DRM Free, Alternative To Vista OS (click here for more details @ xtremesystems.org)

Decide The Look OF XSOS V3.0 VOTE NOW (click here for more details @ xtremesystems.org)

GIVE INPUT FOR XSOS (click here for more details @ xtremesystems.org)

Feel free to use this thread to discuss XSOS v3.0 or join us for a discussion at Xtremesystems.org

I wish XSOS v3.0 good luck as we are all anxiously awaiting the fruits of labor of our good friend and his team.

(Extremesystems.org XSOS v3.0 HOME threads linked in Orange above)
(OC Forums XSOS v3.0 threads by me linked in blue in my sig Blue)

Last edited:
Intresting XSOS. Sounds cool. While you where saying its just a gaming platform can it replace say windows for your other professional applications like photoshop, solidworks, and 3D studio max?

deathman20 said:
Intresting XSOS. Sounds cool. While you where saying its just a gaming platform can it replace say windows for your other professional applications like photoshop, solidworks, and 3D studio max?

Dido...this kind of sounds like ReactOS..except its closed source..and much further along.

deathman20 said:
check out the thread.. the developer said if he finds an app. worthy he will see what he can do about compatablity. (that is if it isn't compatable already)

It looks like *nix or *bsd source with help from MS to gain DX10 compatability (and a closed souce agreement to go along with it).

So if its tough to get support for an app (like adobe apps) then its going to be tough with this OS as well.

greenmaji said:
check out the thread.. the developer said if he finds an app. worthy he will see what he can do about compatablity. (that is if it isn't compatable already)

Ya didn't get a chance to look at that thread fully yet.

This is a modded WindowsXP from the looks of it. Which means it's illegal: nnstep.com has no right to distribute Windows just as ocforums no right to advertise it.. It's also the wrong subforum since it's a Windows version.

Last but not least I'm very skeptical about the DX claims, since Vista and therefore DX10 need a different driver model.

€: probably not XP but 2k3, same applies.

Last edited:
am i missing screen shots or something? i haven't seen what is actually looks like anywhere

klingens said:
This is a modded WindowsXP from the looks of it. Which means it's illegal: nnstep.com has no right to distribute Windows just as ocforums no right to advertise it.. It's also the wrong subforum since it's a Windows version.

Last but not least I'm very skeptical about the DX claims, since Vista and therefore DX10 need a different driver model.

This says it isn't windows based.... http://nnstep.com/XSOS/V3.html

deathman20 said:

Yes it should support pretty much everything windows does.

If there is a serious program that for some reason will not be supported as unlikely as it may be, NN_step asked to be emailed and he will fix the problem and add support.

klingens said:

Thats not true.

Its not modded windows.
Its not illegal.
Microsoft is HELPING with XSOS development and DX10 integration
There is a CONTRACT with Microsoft
NN_step.com has ALL rights to do what it is doing

jmh547 said:
am i missing screen shots or something? i haven't seen what is actually looks like anywhere

There is a screen shot in the XS thread I linked, first post. However the graphic end is still being worked on and will be changed.

Last edited:
deathman20 said:
But as well it does have windows property in it because look at this.
Quote:
We automatically assume (per our Microsoft agreement) that you own atleast one valid Microsoft operating system.

in the forums he said this is because of M$'s participation in the DX10 integration.

deathman20 said:
But as well it does have windows property in it because look at this.

To install a distro of *nix that has had help in development by MS.

In that "XSOS" ISO there is not a single Linux file. Not a single one. There is no DX10 at all: dxver.inf says the following btw:
[version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

and:
HKLM,"%DX%","Version",,"4.09.00.0904"

The kernel it ships with (ntkrnlpa.ex_) is version 5.00.2195.7071 that means it's windows 2000 even. user32.dll is 5.00.2195.7032 also from windows 2000.

It is a modded Windows 2000 with all the "bloat" removed. All files are (c) MS, no one else. This is warez pure and simple. It would be a bit different if it were like BartPE or nlite, where there are only tools that allow the user to create his own XSOS ISO from an existing Windows CD, but instead they're distribute toe Windows CD directly, which is illegal.

Considering the DX10 integration: how is this tested? Are there any DX10 games out there yet? Even Flightsim takes another few months to come out in a DX10 version afaik.

This project seems quite... unlikely to exist. I mean no offense by my current feelings though.

I do have some questions that might make your claim a bit more believable...
  • Since it is a unix variant... what did you base this operating system on in this aspect (Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, etc...)? Also, will there be any unix like installation manager for unix applications?
  • Being that this is using a propritary directx 10 base, will this operating system rely on driver support for Unix or will it somehow adapt or use Windows drivers?
  • Is the interface going to be based off of the x window system, the windows interface of any specific version of Windows, or some hybred never before seen interface? (I am looking for the technological underpinnings, not so much what is seen)
  • Other than directx, will any other core components of any versions of Windows be included in this operating system?
  • Under what license will the propriatry components (Directx) be included under? (not determined, a Microsoft created license, etc...)
  • How long until a beta version comes out? Final?
  • Will this operating system use WINE or other types of emulation to achieve software compatibility?
Those questions should make things a bit more understandable... at least to me.

<edit> A few posts up claimed to investigate an ISO of this operating system. I did not read that before making this post... and I'm not sure exactly what to change after reading that post... </edit>

klingens said:
In that "XSOS" ISO there is not a single Linux file. Not a single one. There is no DX10 at all: dxver.inf says the following btw:
[version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"

and:
HKLM,"%DX%","Version",,"4.09.00.0904"

The kernel it ships with (ntkrnlpa.ex_) is version 5.00.2195.7071 that means it's windows 2000 even. user32.dll is 5.00.2195.7032 also from windows 2000.

It is a modded Windows 2000 with all the "bloat" removed. All files are (c) MS, no one else. This is warez pure and simple. It would be a bit different if it were like BartPE or nlite, where there are only tools that allow the user to create his own XSOS ISO from an existing Windows CD, but instead they're distribute toe Windows CD directly, which is illegal.

Considering the DX10 integration: how is this tested? Are there any DX10 games out there yet? Even Flightsim takes another few months to come out in a DX10 version afaik.

...ok

XSOS v3.0 doesnt exist yet so I dont know what "ISO" you are talking about.

I assume you downloaded XSOS v2.0 which is an entirely different thing.

Was poking around, this might answer some questions:
http://www.nnstep.com/XSOS/V3.html

XSOS V3.0 is a *nix Operating system designed with Gamers in mind. Thanks to the abundant assistance from Microsoft, XSOS V3.0 features DX10 support and is compatible with many games.

1) XSOS does not in any way shape or form contain or support Digital Rights Management Software, Trusted Platform Module, or any such technologies that limits the rights or ablities of the User.

2) We take absolutely No responsablity for any actions or damages that may or may not take place because of your use or abuse of said operating system.

3) XSOS is freeware and is to be freely shared and used. However it shall not and will not be sold for profit or for personal benefit.

4) XSOS is a non-profit organization.

5) XSOS is not a windows Hack nor is it any more windows based than any other *nix operating system.

6) Links to betas and release will be only issued on the release of said beta or RC version of the operating system.

XSOS was developed as an attempt to create an Operating system that supported the games that we play, making it light and without any infringement of User rights. Which seems to be so readily traded away by many compnaies these days. This operating system contains no Spyware, Virus programs, or malicious media. We keep absolutely no records of who downloads what, nor to we use any tracking media. However we do keep count on the number of downloads. We in no way intend to keep tabs on how or what our operating system is used for. We automatically assume (per our Microsoft agreement) that you own atleast one valid Microsoft operating system.

- nn_step™

Since it is a unix variant... what did you base this operating system on in this aspect (Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, etc...)? Also, will there be any unix like installation manager for unix applications?
There is not a single Linux file I could see on the ISO, so it can't be based on any Linux distro mentioned. There certainly wasn't a Linux kernel or glibc on there. Kinda hard to be Linux without either of those.

All files are from Windows 2000 plus updates. That should answer your question about drivers (win2k ones), what Window system is used (GDI32), License (Windows EULA).

No emulation needed since it's the "real deal"

gt24 said:
This project seems quite... unlikely to exist. I mean no offense by my current feelings though.

I do have some questions that might make your claim a bit more believable...
  • Since it is a unix variant... what did you base this operating system on in this aspect (Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, etc...)? Also, will there be any unix like installation manager for unix applications?
  • Being that this is using a propritary directx 10 base, will this operating system rely on driver support for Unix or will it somehow adapt or use Windows drivers?
  • Is the interface going to be based off of the x window system, the windows interface of any specific version of Windows, or some hybred never before seen interface? (I am looking for the technological underpinnings, not so much what is seen)
  • Other than directx, will any other core components of any versions of Windows be included in this operating system?
  • Under what license will the propriatry components (Directx) be included under? (not determined, a Microsoft created license, etc...)
  • Will this operating system use WINE or other types of emulation to achieve software compatibility?
Those questions should make things a bit more understandable... at least to me.

<edit> A few posts up claimed to investigate an ISO of this operating system. I did not read that before making this post... and I'm not sure exactly what to change after reading that post... </edit>

I'll say it again, I am not a programmer, I am a mechanical engineer major, I do not understand some of your questions neither could I answer them even if I did as i am in no way involved in the project aside from acquiring a lot of respect of NN_step over the years. I mentioned above that if you have any questions you are welcome to join the xtremesystems.org discussion and I am sure NN_step would not mind answering your questions.

Other then that it's pretty ludicrous to questing its existence. If you for some stange reason dont believe it then don't post, no one is forcing anyone do anything. I just wanted to share some news that is exciting to me and many others in the community.

Yes it exists. If you don't believe I frankly don't really care and I am not going to go out of my way try to prove something to some online forum non believer. All I am really concerned with is the OS in development because I am interested in using it and I wanted to share the information with others that might be interested too.

My personal opinion is I might end up dual booting vista and XSOS v3.0 depending on how it will turn out. But frankly I have a feeling I don't be using windows much if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back