• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Paging File on a Flash drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.DLucey

Is it possible to plug in a USB flash drive (around 2 gig) and have windows put it's paging file their? I set the paging at 2 gig. I was thinking about plugging it in and always leaving it in. When gaming I'm paging around 1 gig. Would this be better then having it on my Raptor HD?:confused:

file transfer speeds of flash is very slow.
lancey is good but how fast it can move the drives is going to be dreadfully slow for a OS or game.

From what i understand, at least with CF and SD flash memory, the blocks only have a limited amount of writes before the memory is worn out. In a camera, it takes a very long time or extremely heavy use for this to happen. Set as the swap partition or page file though in a busy system, you could kill one in pretty short order.

I dont know what type of memory your USB flash drive has, but i'm betting it's probably the same as what CF and SD cards use.

Pyrotechnic said:
I dont know what type of memory your USB flash drive has, but i'm betting it's probably the same as what CF and SD cards use.

The one at the lowest bin in the flash chip binning process, thats why they're dirt cheap. Binning flash includes parameter such as the worst endurance at data retention, especially at high temp.

Back