• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7 won't post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

msuguy71

Hello, I have an issue that I can't solve. I had an IC7-G that went bad. Had a long beep that repeated itself, no video or other obvious computer activity, and a red light on the MB. Tried to boot it with just the CPU, video, memory, and HD without success. Also tried without the HD. In all cases had the long beep that repeated itself, no video or other obvious computer activity, and a red light on the MB. I tried the memory in another machine and it works fine. I swapped out the video card for a new one and that did not fix the problem either. The power supply was also replaced with a new 450W one.

RMA'd the motherboard. Was sent an IC7 (instead of an IC7-G for some reason and ABit will not respond to multiple contact attempts). Tried to boot the machine with just the CPU, memory, and video card and got the long beep that repeated itself, no video or other obvious computer activity, and a red light on the MB again. Tried installing a different CPU (a willamette core) and the beeping stopped but the computer would not post (I found out the Willamette core does not work with the IC7 series). I even tried booting the computer outside of the case with the CPUs in case I was shorting out in the case somewhere, no difference. Anyways, I thought maybe the CPU was bad.

I ordered a new P4 Prescott 3.2 ghz 800mhz 1MB cache CPU and tried it in the IC7. Same problem of the long beep that repeated itself, no video or other obvious computer activity, and a red light on the MB.

At this point I do not know what else to do. I realize that the new motherboard or CPU could be bad as well and I am thinking of re-RMAing the MB again (maybe they will send me back another IC7-G like they should have). Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks for reading.

I checked the ram and the video card. Both work in my other computer.

I did reset the CMOS. Did not bother checking the battery. Even if the battery was dead shouldn't the board POST at its default settings at least? Also, I had two boards with identical problems which makes me wary of a battery problem, but I will check it as it is something I have not tried.

msuguy71 said:
I checked the ram and the video card. Both work in my other computer.
Try 1 stick of memory and then bump the voltage up if it works. Then turn it off and put the 2nd in. What brand and part# is the memory? Which bios version? Flash the bios if it's not the last one.

The red light is normal and it just means it on.
It's doesn't matter if something worked on another pc because it boils down to computability issues.

I don't know the BIOS version as the machine does nothing but beep. Not sure what brand the memory is. I am going to try stick of a name brand RAM tonight. If the thing would POST so I could get into the BIOS that would be progress at least.

Found out the problem. The RMA'd board I received from ABit has two bad RAM slots. #1 and #2 are bad. Moved the RAM to slots #3 & #4 and the system works great. Going to have to re-RMA the board. Maybe they will send me the correct model board this time.

Thanks for everybodys help.

Back