• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GTS/GTX overclock thread?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Speciale

Disabled
Sorry if there is already one but i couldn't find it. I'd like to see a bit of a database for this card, mostly because i feel like i have a stud of a card but i can't be sure without knowing what other people are getting.

I've had my new system for a little over a week.

e6300
P5B
2gigs of corsair DDR800
VGA 8800GTS
Thermalright XP-90C...but i don't have the bracket to install it on my new motherboard (should have that today).

Since i can't really overclock my CPU because i'm stuck with the stock HSF, i decided to take a stab at the video card.

Stock speeds came in at 513/792. With a minor OC on the CPU (3ghz) these stock speeds yielded an 8750 in 3dMark06.

I've been able to push this thing up to:

660/1030 with no artifacts of any kind, at 3ghz i'm getting a 10400 in 3dmark06. I think after tonight, when my CPU will be at 3.5-3.6ghz (i hope) i anticipate that score to sky rocket.

Maybe we could build a list though:

CPU running at X.Xghz
xgigs of ram running @ xxxmhz
Brand 8800 XXX running @ xxxmhz/xxxmhz
3dMark06 score, throw in 05 scores if ya want

Speciale said:
2000mhz on the mem huh? i kind of wimped out at 1020, perhaps i shall push it more?

His 2000mhz is your 1000mhz. He is counting the doubled frequency of the RAM.

LOL, yeah it's set at 1000MHz, but because it is DDR I count it as 2000MHz. Hey Speciale, is that 660MHz core fully stable, because I too hit 660 on the core which was ATI Tool and 3DMark stable, but as soon as I fired up Oblivion I would get freezes within 15 minutes.

I've had 2. One did 630, the other 660. Both hit 2000 on the RAM. I'll be keeping the 630clocker cause it's 100 bucks less. :D

I see I'm gonna have to send my sis over to slap you around a little jod for not posting anything to the team ;)

I use Rivatuner 16.2, it works flawlessly and it can also adjust fan speed. Not to mention, that all your setting are saved and boot up with every re-boot.

tranceaddict said:
I use Rivatuner 16.2, it works flawlessly and it can also adjust fan speed. Not to mention, that all your setting are saved and boot up with every re-boot.

thanks .. one thing i noticed when i go into rivatuner and look at the fan control
its all set to 100% .. or do i have to enable something so i can adjust them ?? cuz i dont think stock they run 100% all the time

madhatR said:
thanks .. one thing i noticed when i go into rivatuner and look at the fan control
its all set to 100% .. or do i have to enable something so i can adjust them ?? cuz i dont think stock they run 100% all the time

I had the same problem at first, just make sure that you set it under "low level system tweaks". It's is the first tab in "customize" under "Target adaptor" and not the "customize" tab under "Driver settings".

tranceaddict said:
I had the same problem at first, just make sure that you set it under "low level system tweaks". It's is the first tab in "customize" under "Target adaptor" and not the "customize" tab under "Driver settings".

thanks alot .. that did it ..

it was normally running at 60% .. put it up to 100 .. wow its loud lol .. imight drop it down to 80

my question is .. if i set it to 80% .. no matter what that is where its staying ? even under full load ?

El<(')>Maxi said:
I see I'm gonna have to send my sis over to slap you around a little jod for not posting anything to the team ;)
I got ****y cause the one I kept only hits 630, not 660. Tho I did manage to get the 6400 orthos 24hr stable @ 3.6. :D I'll run it tonight.

tranceaddict said:
LOL, yeah it's set at 1000MHz, but because it is DDR I count it as 2000MHz. Hey Speciale, is that 660MHz core fully stable, because I too hit 660 on the core which was ATI Tool and 3DMark stable, but as soon as I fired up Oblivion I would get freezes within 15 minutes.

It seems to be, I've been benching it at 660/1000 and that seems to yeild my highest scores. As soon as i raise the core up any the scores drop. I also played Doom 3 for a few hours and it ran great.

I haven't run any other stability software yet because i'm waiting for the bracket for my XP-90C to come so i can overclock my CPU.

madhatR said:
thanks alot .. that did it ..

it was normally running at 60% .. put it up to 100 .. wow its loud lol .. imight drop it down to 80

my question is .. if i set it to 80% .. no matter what that is where its staying ? even under full load ?

The way I understand it, at stock it was set to 60% AUTO. The fan speed increased and decreased according to load, but it never went past 60%. I'm sure of this cause I had my GPU @ 85C under load and the fan was still silent. With fixed, it just stays at the selected speed whether you idle or run 3D. So yeah, it would stay at 80%. You can use the Rivatuner "Hardware monitoring" feature to check your fan speed. At 80% it runs at roughly 2150RPM all the time.

yeah i set it at 80% and it dropped my idle temp 5C

im tempted to set it at 100 lol but its kinda loud ..

anyways .. i dont have my fans blowing down on it either .. which i will add 2 when i put my new setup in

havent even tried yet .. but i will and i will report back once i have my case airflow setup and stuff

just got my 8800gts yesterday so i havnt really had time to find a max oc but here we go

Core 2 duo e6600 @ 3.0ghz (1.215v :beer: )
2 x 1gb Gskill "HZ" PC 6400 @ 1000mhz @ 4-4-4-12 @ 2.25v
Evga 8800gts @ 600/1900 (when i ocd i set fan to 100%)

3dmark06 @ stock clocks on gfx = 8930 and at 600/1900 the score = 9960 load temps with fan at full and ocd = 62*c

i cant say enough about this card its amazing!!!

well just messing around with my 1 gtx .. im at 600/2000 right now .. fan i keep at 80% but i dont have my fans blowing down on them yet ..
ill try for some more later on

Back