• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DO NOT GET Corsair 6400C4D RAM! *Warning*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OrionRU

DO NOT GET Corsair 6400C4D RAM! *Updated with Corsair Response*

*Update: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=488673 *

Kudo's to Corsair for top knotch customer support.

--------------------

Basically here's what corsair did:

It made Version 1.1 of Ram with Micron D9's which overclocked great, which reviewers and early custoemrs got reporting back that these are infact D9's.

Then quickly they changed their ram to version 2.2 which have PROMOS IC's, which dont over clock for crap.

I got caught into their fish net... Read that these are D9's got em because G.Skills HZ's were out of stock everywhere i looked and payed the price.
Basically I just recieved a nearly 300$ low quality ram with Promos chips...

This so called enthusiast ram but these promos chips dont overclock worth crap! They crash in orthos at their rated speeds and only become stable at DDR800 with 5-5-5-18 timings. Doesnt matter what voltage you give it.

Its rated to do DDR2 800 at 4-4-4-12 at 2.1 volts. Well guess what it fails orthos after about an 10 minutes on those settings. Great isnt it?

Im pretty ****ed off about this, talking with newegg now to exchange these for some ram where I know ill be getting D9 chips.

Warning to people who thought about buying this ram, DONT buy this ram its terrible!

Basically cosrair is charging 300$ for ram which you can buy for 200ish!

Last edited:
If they dont work at their rated speeds, send them back! Get a refund!

Crucial is guaranteed to have some Mircron D9GMH :)

5300/6400/8000 kits all have Micron.

Thanks nade, ill watch that forum.

I know that this pair is going back to newegg even if i do loose 15% for restocking fee.

I would suggest you hold on to them till you hear from Corsair. It could have very well been an honest mistake. :)

If you can, please gather reports of complaints on other forums and post those links in here.

Super Nade said:
I would suggest you hold on to them till you hear from Corsair. It could have very well been an honest mistake. :)

If you can, please gather reports of complaints on other forums and post those links in here.

Will do, i saw a number of reports on xtremesystems.org ill post links in a sec.

Also, corsair has a list on their forum with IC's for different rams, when I ordered mine they only had 1.1 which was D9's then I look again now they list 2.2 as Promos... So i doubt its a honest mistake on their part.

My 6400C4 Dominator kit I ordered a few weeks ago uses Promos chips not the D9s according to Corsair's IC info thread.
Exactly what are Promos chips? Are they crap compared to Micron D9's?
Makes me happy to know I spent $300 on crap. hehe I haven't tested then yet btw.

OK. After some testing. I can now say Promos really is crap. Why are they called Dominators?? Because they dominate at sucking. The 6400C4D's anyways.

Also a Corsair rep in that thread is also defending how they are charging 300$ for this crap. I suggest you guys read this thread:
http://xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=123765&highlight=6400C4D

Cosair Rep said:
ust so you guys know, we never sent out the 6400C4Ds to review sites. The 6400C4D was created as a response to the "Dominator is sooo expensive!" complaint. We wanted to produce a lower-cost version of the Dominator that would work well for the mainstream consumer.

We don't send 6400C4Ds out because, honestly, it's kind of a boring part. A bunch of different companies have a Cas 4 800 MHz part out there, why would we send that out to compete when we could send a Cas 3 800 MHz part or a Cas 4 1111 MHz part?

The Promos ICs we use on the Dominator are screened at the IC level by us, and the 6400C4Ds that use them DO respond well to voltage. They have good headroom at Cas 5 and voltage, you can frequently get over 1000 MHz at 5-5-5 and 2.1 VDIMM on them. Which, in my opinion, is decent headroom for a part sold at 800 MHz.

I apologize for any confusion this may have caused, but as you all seem to know, Microns are very hard to get, and we've got a lot of orders to fill on our other parts.

We screen our Micron ICs for 8888C4, 9136C5, 8500C5, and 6400C3. If, for some reason, they can't hit any of those, the downbin path is to put them into 6400C4s.

Again, I don't feel like we mislead anybody. We never sent out the 6400C4Ds for an overclocking review, as far as I can tell, and occasionally a part might STILL be made with Microns if there's some fallout from the high-end screens I mentioned above.

My sticks and others sticks certainly dont respond well to voltages and dont seem to be screened at all! Stop charging premium price for low quality ram!

God corsair is ****ing me off, they have lost this customer for life.

Mate, I'd suggest you register at the HoH forums and voice your concern there as well. Hopefully, you can arrive at an amicable solution.

Edit*

I just read the XS thread and I'm a bit confused here, they do have a thread at the HoH forums which states what revision uses what IC. Maybe the price is ridiculous for Promos chips, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as bait and switch. I am still digesting what I have read thus far.

*I am not an employee or official Corsair rep*

I can personally garauntee that EVERY SINGLE XMS AND DOMINATOR PART that comes out of Corsair has been tested in a real system by a technician to run at it's rated settings.

This comes after the IC's are tested in a very complicated machine that runs a multitude of tests on them to see what part they qualify for.

So, if your modules won't run at their rated speed, then return them for a replacement under the lifetime warranty.

What you're asking for, however, is akin to me going to Intel and demanding a WGXYA stepping E6600 because it overclocks better than the WOBSV stepping (fwiw, not real steppings). It's not going to happen because Intel doesn't garauntee anything except stock performance and neither does Corsair, neither does Mushkin, neither does Patriot, neither does... ... ... anybody.

Also, what's so 'crappy' about Promos IC's? They're memory chips, they run at their rated timings and speeds, they last a good, long time and many of them do overclock fairly well. Perhaps not as well as others, but that by no means makes them crappy. As above, is my WOBSV CPU crappy because it doesn't overclock past it's specifications as well as the WGXYA?

One last hypothetical: If I go out and by an 805D and it won't overclock worth a damn, even when I do the same thing that Tom's Hardware did (they got one to ~4 GHz) am I entitled to anything? Should I feel gipped? Have I been wronged or have I just gotten a part that does exactly what it says it will and nothing more. In this case, I have not been wronged, the fellows at Tom's got lucky.

If you're here for a flame war, you won't see me back, so have a conversation with me or don't.

PLUR
CK

What im asking here is not to decieve customers and dont charge premium price for low performing ram!

This thread is here to warn others so they dont fall into the same trap I did.

Before anybody has a chance to respond, let me make this very very clear.

NO-PERSONAL ATTACKS OR FLAMES WILL BE TOLERATED.
Let us keep this civil.

Anybody violating Forum policy will be sent on a one day vacation.

It is O.K to voice your displeasure, angst and disgust even, but no flames!

Super Nade said:
Mate, I'd suggest you register at the HoH forums and voice your concern there as well. Hopefully, you can arrive at an amicable solution.

Edit*

I just read the XS thread and I'm a bit confused here, they do have a thread at the HoH forums which states what revision uses what IC. Maybe the price is ridiculous for Promos chips, but I'm not sure if it qualifies as bait and switch. I am still digesting what I have read thus far.

Problem is, the chips listed with promos were added to that thread basically a day or two ago.

Prior to that, all reports said these are D9 chips. People went out to buy the D9 reported ram and got a Promos instead.

I know that Corsair doesnt gurantee anything, but this is a really low way to get people to buy their chips.

What deception? Corsair has a list of IC's on it's website and you can call tech support or post a thread to find out what's in current production. Corsair is not the only manufacturer to switch IC's based on supply.

I don't recall seeing any ads for these that said they were the best thing since sliced bread, but I have been pretty busy lately so if I missed it, please let me know.

[EDIT]All reports were correct at the time, but Corsair ran out of Micron chips that were binned for the 6400C4's, so they found another suitable part that fit the specifications of the module.[/EDIT]

PLUR
CK

CandyKid said:
What deception? Corsair has a list of IC's on it's website and you can call tech support or post a thread to find out what's in current production. Corsair is not the only manufacturer to switch IC's based on supply.

I don't recall seeing any ads for these that said they were the best thing since sliced bread, but I have been pretty busy lately so if I missed it, please let me know.

PLUR
CK

In anycase, These chips use Promos IC's now and as well all know they are complete and utter crap compared to Micron's IC's. Im describing my experience in this thread, where this so called perfomance 300$ ram cant even do its rated speeds. Oh and its not a problem with my system, i've been doing this for a while...

CK,

Both you and I know how the enthusiast community looks at things. We are always looking for the best of the best parts. No self-respecting enthusiast would pay $300 to run things at stock.

Clearly, Corsair and every other manufacturer are vying for our $'s thereby marketing their wares (not warez :p) as the most overclocker friendly. So, let us dispense with the "Only guarenteed at stock settings" defense. While technically you are correct, but by doing so, one loses a lot of the enthusiast real-estate.

I have learned that a huge proportion of all RMA's shouldn't have been RMA'd in the first place. Since I've never met you, I assume nothing and try to work from the bottom up.

If your modules are faulty, they fall under warranty and WILL BE REPLACED. I can garauntee that every Dominator module that left Corsair was tested in a real system (CPU, mobo, etc) at it's rated settings. If something happened to the module on it's way to you, that's not your fault and you deserve a replacement. Please register at HoH and request an RMA.

PLUR
CK

CandyKid said:
I have learned that a huge proportion of all RMA's shouldn't have been RMA'd in the first place. Since I've never met you, I assume nothing and try to work from the bottom up.

If your modules are faulty, they fall under warranty and WILL BE REPLACED. I can garauntee that every Dominator module that left Corsair was tested in a real system (CPU, mobo, etc) at it's rated settings. If something happened to the module on it's way to you, that's not your fault and you deserve a replacement. Please register at HoH and request an RMA.

PLUR
CK

Ill request RMA from newegg instead and order different ram.

Im sorry, but as Nade sell I did not buy this 315$ ram to run it at stock speeds. Im sure you understand where we are coming from.

This will be the last thing i ever bought from corsair.

Super Nade said:
CK,

Both you and I know how the enthusiast community looks at things. We are always looking for the best of the best parts. No self-respecting enthusiast would pay $300 to run things at stock.

Clearly, Corsair and every other manufacturer are vying for our $'s thereby marketing their wares (not warez :p) as the most overclocker friendly. So, let us dispense with the "Only guarenteed at stock settings" defense. While technically you are correct, but by doing so, one loses a lot of the enthusiast real-estate.

There's also more than one way to look at things. The first is, as said above, to pay a premium in order to get even more from it.

The second is to assume that overclocker friendly parts mean that Corsair produces high-end parts (I.E. PC9136's) that allow you to overclock the hell out of the rest of your system without worrying that your memory is becomming an anchor.

I suppose both are correct, but in this case, the 6400C4's aren't exactly a top-end part either. Yes, they're Dominators, but they're still on the low end of the totem pole. It wouldn't really make sense to sell a PC6400 part that'll OC past your higher-priced PC8000 part, etc.

Honestly, it's a tough fight to make. I understand why he's mad and I think the beginning of the solution is to get his modules replaced for one's that won't fail after 10 minutes. Personally, I think one (or both) is faulty and needs an RMA.

PLUR
CK

OrionRU said:
Ill request RMA from newegg instead and order different ram.

Im sorry, but as Nade sell I did not buy this 315$ ram to run it at stock speeds. Im sure you understand where we are coming from.

This will be the last thing i ever bought from corsair.

I'm sorry to hear that, I would've been interested to see somebody put a bit of voltage across these modules (with Promos in them) when they weren't faulty as your's seem to be.

I hope you fare well with your new selection!

PLUR
CK

p.s. Sorry for double-posts, but with two of you it's hard to keep up!

p.p.s. Thanks for the title, but just to cover my rear, I'm unofficial.

Back