• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5W DH Dlx / E6700 Overclock Intended

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrWizard2U

Registered
Heya guys help me a bit with some comments on the following intention.

Just put it together:
P5W DH Deluxe
Intel E6700
Corsair PC6400, DDR2 800MHz, 2x 1GB

If I go into BIOS jumper free stting and do the following what will happen?

CPU Frequency:350
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-888MHz
Performance Mode: Standard
PCI Frequency: 100
PCI Clock Sync. Mode: 33.33MHz
Memory Voltage: 2.00V
CPU Core Voltage: 1.4000V
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40V
MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.55V
ICH Chipset Voltage: 1.2V

What about memory ratio? Got suggested to set it to 2.66x but have no idea where to do this.

If any of the above looks odd please suggest a better value.

MrWizard2U said:
Heya guys help me a bit with some comments on the following intention.

Just put it together:
P5W DH Deluxe
Intel E6700
Corsair PC6400, DDR2 800MHz, 2x 1GB

If I go into BIOS jumper free stting and do the following what will happen?

CPU Frequency:350
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-888MHz
Performance Mode: Standard
PCI Frequency: 100
PCI Clock Sync. Mode: 33.33MHz
Memory Voltage: 2.00V
CPU Core Voltage: 1.4000V
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.40V
MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.55V
ICH Chipset Voltage: 1.2V

What about memory ratio? Got suggested to set it to 2.66x but have no idea where to do this.

If any of the above looks odd please suggest a better value.

I would suggest starting off much slower than 350, you might be fine but there's no quarentee your ram will run DDR2-888 speeds. Also you might not even need to raise voltages for the FSB Term, MCH, ICH so why do it until you need to?

try 270, then 275, and so on. Small increases. Keep cpu voltage a 1.4 until you cant oc anymore. Then raise .1v or so.

I have a similar setup as you...just PC2-8000 ram, but honestly I don't think I needed to spend the extra cash on it...check my sig for details on the hardware.

I am currently running stable (wouldn't swear to it, as I have only run ORTHOS for 1.5 hours with no problems) at 350x10. Running vcore 1.4875, mem 2.2, fsb 1.4, mch 1.55, ich 1.2. I am in a hurry right now, but will check back later and give any info on what I have learned. I am a novice at this...but have spent many hours rebooting this damn thing to get to where I am now. Check down in the forum a bit too...see my thread titled "What am I doing wrong". Rattle posted a couple of good links in there relevant to an issue I was seeing.

Wow guys, thanks a lot this is really something I can start moving with. BTW can somebody post me a link for ORTHOS. Didnt have any luck finding that one.

ulrick65 said:
I have a similar setup as you...just PC2-8000 ram, but honestly I don't think I needed to spend the extra cash on it...check my sig for details on the hardware.

I am currently running stable (wouldn't swear to it, as I have only run ORTHOS for 1.5 hours with no problems) at 350x10. Running vcore 1.4875, mem 2.2, fsb 1.4, mch 1.55, ich 1.2. I am in a hurry right now, but will check back later and give any info on what I have learned. I am a novice at this...but have spent many hours rebooting this damn thing to get to where I am now. Check down in the forum a bit too...see my thread titled "What am I doing wrong". Rattle posted a couple of good links in there relevant to an issue I was seeing.

Ulrick,
I read that thread of yours and many other discussions here before I came up with the setup above. Read in many other places as well. I am just like you a real noob at this. This is my first OC project. You started a bit before me so I am taking your lead except trying to modify slightly relative to my memory.

WaTTz65 said:
try 270, then 275, and so on. Small increases. Keep cpu voltage a 1.4 until you cant oc anymore. Then raise .1v or so.

WaTTz,
Does that mean the I can take FSB down to 275 and leave all the voltages as per my original post or should I take them down as well and at what level should I set the voltages on my first 275 FSB run.

Dragonprince said:
I would suggest starting off much slower than 350, you might be fine but there's no quarentee your ram will run DDR2-888 speeds. Also you might not even need to raise voltages for the FSB Term, MCH, ICH so why do it until you need to?

Dragonprince,
I hope my RAM is capable of it. Bought it couse I was under the impression that it can do that and maybe even a bit more. Ok, as per above suggestions I will start slow. 275 seems to be a good starting point

What about my original question on memory ratio? You guys maybe got an answer to this one? I am still confused where and how in the BIOS I can set this value.

The memory ratio is not something that you set directly by a ratio value...took me a while to understand this too, I was looking for a ratio setting somewhere. Basically, when you change the CPU frequency, the DRAM frequency changes to match it 1:1 (Shows double because of ddr2 obviously)...however, if you go down to it you can change it to various other "allowed" settings (effectively setting the ratio).

Seems like all the feedback I got was that 1:1 is the best way to go...but I never really verified this with tests...maybe I will do that. Does seem logical to me...if the CPU can only take the data at the rate it takes it...having memory running faster doesn't really help. Kind of like racing between stop lights...fun, but you don't get to point B any faster!:-/

Also, my testing (as well as feedback from others) indicates that using 10x multiplier (the default) is better than dropping down to 9x and upping the FSB. Of course higher FSB means more memory bandwidth...but I was not able to get my FSB up high enough to drive the CPU high enough to make it worth while. What I mean is I was able to get my FSB to 375 with a 9x multiplier but 350x10 performs better in my testing than 375x9, because the CPU is clocking faster. Like you, I was figuring I could get over 400 easily given my memory...but it just doesnt' pan out that way. I don't really thoroughly understand the "strap" concept discussed in the threads that Rattle provided me...but I am guessing this is playing a big part of why I can't get above 375

One other thing...in order to get 350x10, I am running pretty hot under full load. At first, I was actually overheating....and couldnt run there more than 30 minutes or so. I did not do a good job with the thermal paste the first time around, so I took it off and redid it (following the directions that Rattle linked me to) and it did stabilize the temperature. However, I still run up to 72c after full load for a while (over an hour). Makes me a little nervous...but what the hell, it's only money! :cry: The other thing I did was removed the MCH heatsink, took the little cover off it, cleaned the epoxy crap off it and redid it with Arctic Silver 5 too. Haven't tried increasing the FSB again to see if it made a difference yet. Dragonprince has a great guide for this here (wish I found it before I broke my plastic pins off getting mine out!)

Here's another guide I found on Toms Hardware, might be os use to you as well.

Keep us posted...

Ulrick65

Got the answer about memory ratio, got Orthos.

Heat is an issue for me as well coz my ambient temps are 30+ degrees. I got a great CPU heat sink and fan but my mobo and VGA were runing pretty hot untill somebody suggested to leave the side panel open and blow into the box with a big desktop fan. CPU went down 1 dergee to 40, mobo down 7 degrees to 38 and the VGS down by 8 degrees to 50 in amatter of minutes. Now I am thinking of getting a bathroom extraction fan and mounting it on the side pannel.

I think I can take my first OC step tonight when I get home from work. If it all goes smooth I hope to be at 3GHz before I quit playing with it tonight.

Didnt happen I had some corporate function dinner, ended up in a bar and got drunk way beyond even turning the computer on let alone doing some OC. 24 hour delay tonight I try it.

Watch this space for my results.

Last edited:
Had a couple of initial reboot failures. The rig was getting stuck on USB loading but that went away. At the moment I am running Orthos for 25 minutes and posting this without any issues.
  • I didnt touch the memory yet which is on Auto. Its defaulting on the posting to 5300 instead of 6400.
  • I didnt touch any voltages yet.
  • FSB at 280.

Time to try raising it again!

• Running Orthos for 15 minutes now and doing other things as well. No visible issues.
  • Getting stuck at boot definitely went away. Maybe just needed to get the cobwebs out of the way.
  • Still didnt touch the memory. Now its defaulting on the posting to 3200 instead of 6400.
  • I didnt touch any voltages yet.
  • FSB now at 290.
  • Temperatures look good. CPU at 46, mobo at 36.

Time to try raising it again!

• FSB now at 300.
  • Running Orthos 15 minutes and doing other things as well. No visible issues.
  • Still didnt touch the memory. On posting it is still defaulting to 3200 instead of 6400.
  • Still all stock voltages.
  • Temperatures look good. CPU still at about 46-47, mobo at 36-37.

Think I will give Orthos a bit more time at this FSB before I up it again. A couple of hours should do. One and a half hours later the only difference is CPU teperature has varied from 48 to 52 degrees. After a couple of hours of the above without any issues I decided to step up again.

• FSB now at 310.
  • Running Orthos for a couple of minutes and doing other things as well. No visible issues.
  • Still didnt touch the memory. On posting it is still defaulting to 3200 instead of 6400.
  • Still all stock voltages.
  • Temperatures look good. CPU still at about 46-49, mobo at 36-37.

I think I'll leave it like this and see what I find in the morning. Time to go to bed or I wont wake up for work tomorow.

Last edited:
No reason not to raise the memory divider up to at least stock speed of DDR2-800. Running the Ram so far below spec may actually cause system stability issues....

• FSB at 310.
  • Orthos failed after 24 minutes.
  • Memory far under spec.
  • Stock voltages.

As per suggestion will retry tonight with the same FSB just set the memory closer to manufacturer specs.

Any idea why the memory is dropping down so much below specs?

When left on Auto, mine does the same thing. Not sure what the reason for it is...but when I set it manually to something (say 600, if you were at 300), then it changes accordingly whenever I change the CPU Freq...

yeah i think it's a known issue with this mobo and this ram. We have to manually set the timing for it to run at spec.

I'll be building my rig this wkend so all this info is good to know...

First the memory adjustment. When it stabilizes then I try to raise the FSB again before I go for voltage increases.

Deleted all the failures to make it more sequential and usable for any needing to reference.

Watch this space for further updates.

Couldn't get anywhere so I am going back to the last known settings that worked reasonably well and making only one change at a time so I can Identify the issue.
  • FSB: 300
  • RAM: 600
  • PCI Frequency: 100
  • PCI Clock Sync. Mode: 33.33MHz
  • RAM Voltage: Auto
  • RAM Timing SPD: Enabled (I had this previously at 5-5-5-15-5, checked Corsair site and it says this memory tested at 800MHz, 5-5-5-12-T1 and 1.9v. This is for 2 matched CM2X1024-6400 modules. What is T1?)
  • CPU Core Voltage: 1.3500V (Is it normal for this voltage to vary during stressing from as low as 1.31 to 1.34?)
  • FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
  • MCH Chipset Voltage: Auto
  • ICH Chipset Voltage: Auto
  • Mobo Temp: 43 (looked at Asus site and it says normal temps 40-60. Turned of the big fan off to get it up to normal temps)
Running Orthos so far for 45 minutes. Considering all is reasonably well an I am beyond the magic 30 minutes where it was failing before I will try playing with the memory as per above.

Looks like it was the wrong memory settings. Now setting it up exactly as per manufacturer recommendation.
  • FSB: 300
  • RAM: 800MHz
  • RAM Voltage: 1.9v
  • RAM Timing: 5-5-5-12-5 (Last 5 instead of "T1" is a guess as I don't know what "T1" means. Anyone?)
  • CPU Core Voltage: 1.3500V (Is it normal for this voltage to vary during stressing from as low as 1.31 to 1.34?)
  • FSB Termination Voltage: Auto
  • MCH Chipset Voltage: Auto
  • CPU Temp: 45-51 (Isn't this a huge deviation range?)
  • Mobo Temp: 43 consistent
Running Orthos so far for 45 minutes and considering that all is well I will next up the FSB again.

Prior to the below run I did another one with eaxctly the same setting as below except with FSB at 310 and RAM at 775. No issues so bumped up to below by just upping the FSB.
  • FSB: 320
  • RAM: 800MHz
  • RAM Timing: 5-5-5-12-5 (Last 5 instead of "T1" is a guess as I don't know what "T1" means. Anyone?)
  • CPU Core Voltage: 1.3750V (Is it normal for this voltage to vary significantly during stressing or during normal operation?)
  • FSB Termination Voltage: 1.2V
  • MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.55V
  • CPU Temp: 48-54 (Isn't this a huge deviation range?)
  • Mobo Temp: 43 consistent
Running Orthos so far for 45 minutes and all is well. Found out that Orthos likes to fail during the first 35 minutes. If it gets past that point I start feeling safe. Am I correct?

After a couple longer atempts to run Orthos at this speed I had to up the Vcore to 1.4v to keep it absolutely stable.

• Vcore: 1.4000v (What is the normal range for Vcore during stressing or during normal operation?)
  • Vcore actual as reported by sensor: 1.36-1.38v
  • FSB Termination Voltage: 1.3v
  • MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.55v
  • ICH Chipset Voltage: 1.2v
  • CPU Temp: 51-59 (wedged a fan right amongst some cable pointing right at the CPU. Seems to have helped by about2-3 degrees on average)
  • Mobo Temp: 45 consistent
Ran Orthos for over 10 hours so I am guessing its completely stable.

Cant achieve any significant stability at FSB over 325. Orthos fail times are normaly at about 3, 16, or 22 minutes. Tried many times so far but unable to find the stable setting for FSB 330.

Last edited:
Guys I am stuck!

Cantfigure out how to move up from 3.25GHz. I tried most combinations. Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas or jokes to make me feel beter about this?

Last edited:
Increase your mem volts, check some reviews of your mem, see what is safe. most perf mem can go to 2.5 and beyond, don't let the red text scare you in bios sets. mine will do NOTHING with less that 2.10v. increase your cpu volts, with (really) good air-sink/case, up to 1.5 should not be a prob.

stay low with mem divider then increase, try to stay within 800 (stock) range...

Think I tried to go up to 2.1 with memory and still a problem. Guess I can check it out and try to go up even more. What I dont understand is why would memory need more voltage at 800 if the FSB is at 330 then at similar memory speed (800) and FSB at 320. I thought memory voltage was related to memory speed not FSB speed.

When you say stay low with the memory devider what do you mean? Can you give me a reference? What is low and what is high?

After reboot on entering Windows if the system isnt fully stable I occasionaly get this error message "win32 enumerator failure" or someting like that. Anyone knows what is causing it?

I'd say your probably running into the CPU limit due to heat, without water or better your not likely to get much more than 3.2 with a 38c board/case temp. My case closed tight is only 32c and honestly I know I need to do much better than that....

Dragonprince,

You could be of course right but I think there might be more to it. I actualy stopped with the big desktop fan as it wasnt helping the CPU temps almost any. It was only reducing the mobo temps to about 36 degrees which is probably not important since Asus says that the operating temps for this mobo is 40-60 degrees.

Yes of course I will try to do something about the CPU temps but that wont happen quickly. I dont realy want to go with water cooling so there is only one thing left to do. I had planned to put in and aircon unit. When this happens I will duct part of it straight into the case. That should help by at least 10-15 degrees in ambient temps.

Irespective of all of the above I have discovered another issue which I already fixed but havent had the chance to retest a higher OC. Last night I loaded one of my favorite oldie games I havent played for quite a while. Freelancer. First time I jump the whole system reboots. I try it again and it reboots again. Now this is all happening at FSB 320 where Orthos was runing for over 12 hours without issues. After a bit of thinking I go into my nVidia settings and reset the whole thing to default. I also returned the video card to default OC. My rig doesnt reboot any more when I jump.

I hope I catch some time tonight and have another go at FSB 325 and up.

Watch this space for further updates.

• RAM Voltage: 2.0v
  • RAM Timing: 5-5-5-12-5
  • Vcore: 1.4375v
  • Vcore actual as reported by sensor: 1.41-1.42v
  • FSB Termination Voltage: 1.2v
  • MCH Chipset Voltage: 1.55v
  • CPU Temp: 58-61
  • Mobo Temp: 45 consistent

Been running Orthos for 45 minutes and no problems. Will leave it overnight to make sure. I guess the VGA setting were having an affect. Looks like I will be able to push it a bit further just have to sort out the cooling.

Last edited:
Back