• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Frankenstien Network.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

archangelgabe

Me and 2 other Cisco A++ certification students are putting together a huge project. We have compiled a vast number of 3-8 year old computer parts. So far we counted 43 Intel Mobos, 100+ sticks of ram, 58 old PSUs, 6 boxes of old pentium IIs (no antistatic bags so a lot won't work i assume) and a 2'x4x5x box full of heatsinks, fans, ide cables and ethernet cables. We have more keyboards, crt monitors and mice than we have shelves for and a box of halfway decent videocards and soundcards. [edit]unfortunately we have like 10 cases that will fit our stuff, so most will be just mounted on a flat wood block.(can you say ghetto public school?)

Since we are with Cisco, we have permisison to install Windows 2000 on all computers we repair free of charge.

The project is that we will time ourselves in how long it takes us to set up at lease 35 working computers with Win2000, network them, and designate the best one as a sever. This is preparation for a A+ test and some sort of State wide contest. I'll post updates and picture here after we're done.

Last edited:
So did you have any questions or was this just a "look what we trying to do" thing? nothing wrong with it just want to know if you need any help :)

On a slightly un-related note we just got a lot of PCs ourselves. My company is deeply involvled with a charity organization that takes old medi al equipment and computers and refurbs them into usable things for organizations that lack the funing to do so. And among that shipment we just received 130 PCs, 200 keyboards/mice and 150 monitors that we must now test each one and record the base informatrion of. Gotta say it is an absurd amount of PCs lol maybe ill toss up a pictgure or two tommorrow :)

PS- Ive had so much to drink tonight its absurd. Ill proly correct the ypos tomorrow so if you cannot understand what im saying its not your fault lol! anyways, GL on your undertaking there.

hahaha. Yeah this is a basic. This is the project thread. I don't foresee any problems. Today we organized the parts and emptied a classroom that we're going to use. We have 36 Video cards so that's going to be our max number of computers we COULD make. Granted all the video cards work.

We forgot about power so we're getting like 5 surge protectors and what-not before we start putting things together.

archangelgabe said:
Me and 2 other Cisco A++ certification students are putting together a huge project. We have compiled a vast number of 3-8 year old computer parts. So far we counted 43 Intel Mobos, 100+ sticks of ram, 58 old PSUs, 6 boxes of old pentium IIs (no antistatic bags so a lot won't work i assume) and a 2'x4x5x box full of heatsinks, fans, ide cables and ethernet cables. We have more keyboards, crt monitors and mice than we have shelves for and a box of halfway decent videocards and soundcards. [edit]unfortunately we have like 10 cases that will fit our stuff, so most will be just mounted on a flat wood block.(can you say ghetto public school?)

Since we are with Cisco, we have permisison to install Windows 2000 on all computers we repair free of charge.

The project is that we will time ourselves in how long it takes us to set up at lease 35 working computers with Win2000, network them, and designate the best one as a sever. This is preparation for a A+ test and some sort of State wide contest. I'll post updates and picture here after we're done.

If your taking the certification... you should make sure you know printers inside and out. It seemed like half the material from when i took the class (3 years ago in high school) was related to printers. The rest of the material was arround a 3rd or 4th grade level if i remember right.

Dont worry too much about power. Those older rigs dont draw TOO much power... Its the monitors that push the rooms over the edge, esp old ones. But make sure you know how big a circut(s) that room runs on.

If you can get working mobo, cpu, ram, and PSU... why not make a diskless farm with some?? (provided you can boot from network on them) It sounds like they gave you all the old worthless (to them) crap... so most wont be a classic work station per-say. So therefore i tihnk the number of working video cards shouldnt limmit you guys.

Good luck with the project though!! :D

Good luck man!

These would make great servers or word processors computers. If you want, you can build some cheap OpenOffice/Firefox/Win2k/Thunderbird rigs for almost free... Would be nice

Back