• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project: Compulsive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sneaky

Skulltrail Junkie
I've always wanted a small, but still powerful computer to play around with, for use as a LAN server for CS Source and other games. But at the same time, still be a functional gaming computer for when its not being used as a server.

Now, as the leader of the WFB High School tech club, we need a solid server to run games off of at our LAN Parties, which finally gives me an excuse to have some fun with a slick little SFF Build in the only SFF case that I have ever taken a true interest in for a build.

I present you with Project: Compulsive

Case/Components:
  • Enclosure: Lian Li PC-V300B Black Aluminum MicroATX Desktop Case - HAVE

• Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 Allendale 1.8GHz 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 - NEED

• Motherboard: Abit Fatal1ty F-I90HD (ATI Radeon Xpress 1250 chipset, Micro ATX) - NEED

• Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ Platinum Revision 2 DDR2-800/PC2-6400 (4-4-4-15) - NEED

• Graphics: Sapphire ATI Radeon x800GTO² 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - HAVE

• Audio: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card - NEED

• Storage: 2x Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 250GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache SATA II (RAID 0) - HAVE

• 5.25 Devices: Black Samsung 52x32x52x16 CD-RW/DVD combo drive - HAVE

• Power: PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI - HAVE

Cooling:

• CPU Heatsink: Thermalright XP-120 - HAVE

• CPU Fan: Arctic Cooling AF12025 120X25mm (56cfm @ 24dba) - HAVE

Fans:
  • 80mm Case Fans: 2x Arctic Cooling AF8025 80x25mm (26cfm @ 24dba) - HAVE

• 60mm Case Fans: 1x Panaflo L1 Ultra Quiet 60mm FBA06T12L (12cfm @ 24dba) - HAVE

• 40mm Case Fans: 3x Sunon 40x20mm MagLev Fan (KDE1204PKV3) (6cfm @ 18dba) - HAVE

Last edited:
The cure is you not getting anymore money! But thats not going to happen. I'm sure it'll be a badass rig like always. Oh and what did you do with that big UFO?

its chillin down in my basement for now... might sell it, might keep it... I really don't know yet

Figured you would use your pressler for something.

Looks like and interesting project, any pictures of the case?

Also be careful SFFs are fairly addicting to work on becuase you have to be so much better at planning them out than you do with the big cases.

case will be here Thursday - I don't want to clutter the thread with pics that aren't mine, so you're gonna have to wait another 2 days ;)

and yeah - I'm already trying to plan exactly how tall of a HSF I can stick in there, and what good heatsinks are available for the room that I have to work with

Last edited:
Interesting idea...any mods planned, at least for portability?

Also, the rig looks pretty good, but I'm also interested in your networking. Are you going to run gigabit? If so I'd make sure you have a switch/NIC that supports it, as it'll probably be noticibly faster.

AIM me if you ened more ideas.

soon we're going to be wiring our house with all CAT6 cables, along with a new gigabit switch... but at the LAN's we have two 24-port 10/100 switches (they were free and work damn well), plus all the kids there usually have CAT5 or CAT5-E cables... so its no use to try and get the entire LAN party running on gigabit

got the case in today (I put extra silver LL thumbscrews on it for now until I get black ones - the screws that it shipped with were made of aluminum and started stripping out when I only took the side panels off of the case *shrug*

so far the case is nice as hell, and it definitely looks like a fun case to work with... can't wait until I get started on mods and building

comp_01.jpg

comp_02.jpg

comp_03.jpg

comp_04.jpg

you gonna change those silver thumbscrews to black ones? as i think it looks a little tacky for a case like that

but either way ima be watching this like always

yeah, the I'm ordering some black M3 threaded Lian Li thumbscrews along with vented PCI cover plates like I used on Omerta... for now I had 12 LL thumbscrews lying around, so I just threw thoes on the case for the time being...

anyways, I threw some rubber edge trim around the wiring holes in the drive bays to clean up the inside a little bit:

comp_05.jpg

Looking good. Lian-li has cleaned their game up since I bought my PC-70.

So no gigabit? Interesting. Are you going to roll a NIC on this thing? KillerNIC perhaps?

voigts said:
I want to know where you get the money for all of these projects?
working... saving up paychecks, selling old parts, fixing/building computers as a side job... it adds up :shrug:

you must have alot of time and sleeving on your hands, as thats all i see you doing in these projects. id bet youd re-sleeve a PSU if it wasnt covering all the wire (ie an inch of wire is showing) :p

I have about 100ft of each size of sleeving from 1/16" to 3/8" and maybe 50ft of 1/2" as well

then I have 25ft spools of 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" heatshrink

I'm not THAT anal about sleeving, but I do see it as a very important factor in keeping the case looking clean... but not to the point of re-sleeving a PSU because 1" of the wire was showing LOL

Back