• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got the new OCZ Titanium Alpha VX2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
One of my Corsair 1066 modules decided to just fail and cease functioning a few days ago. I called Newegg Customer service and they worked out a bargain price for me on these sticks in return for my 1066 corsairs: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227138

1000 Mhz 4-4-4-15 timings. I will be doing a write up on them in a few weeks. I am hoping for at least 4-4-4-5 @ 2.4 volts and 1060 to 1120 mhz. Maybe a little 1200+ mhz action @ 5-5-5-15 I will definitely keep you guys posted.

These modules are extremely expensive, as well as my Corsair 1066 Extremes that just deceased but lets just say I got the OCZ's at a great price! I am still kicking myself for initially spending over $300 on memory but I am forced to fork up high dollar to keep up with my Vapochill LS clocks and FSB. Especially when encroaching 1:1 500 FSB. If your ram cant run a solid 1000 mhz stable, youre not moving anywhere on your OC.

**Updates**

Maximum stablity so far:
3-3-3-8 @ 2.3 volts - 402mhz ( DDR2-804 )
4-4-4-15 @ 2.3 volts - 551 mhz ( DDR2-1102 )
5-5-5-15 @ 2.25 volts - 626 mhz ( DDR2-1252)

I have only modified primary timings. Can anyone make Intel platform subtimgs recommendations for me? This is the first time I have owned an Intel processor since the PentiumIII-800 days. So, I am used to AMD sub's and memory configs.

These are my current timings, please recommend changes to increase performance on an Intel platform. Thanks:

Attachments

• yo.JPG
    yo.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:
**Updates**

Maximum stablity so far:
3-3-3-8 @ 2.3 volts - 402mhz ( DDR2-804 )
4-4-4-15 @ 2.3 volts - 551 mhz ( DDR2-1102 )
5-5-5-15 @ 2.25 volts - 626 mhz ( DDR2-1252)

I have only modified primary timings. Can anyone make Intel platform subtimgs recommendations for me? This is the first time I have owned an Intel processor since the PentiumIII-800 days. So, I am used to AMD sub's and memory configs.

These are my current timings, please recommend changes to increase performance on an Intel platform. Thanks:

Attachments

• yo.JPG
    yo.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
RedDragonXXX said:
Looking good :beer:

Damn, I just saw a price on these :eek:

I can build a decent rig for that much $

Believe me, I did not pay full price for these. I was in a little bind with Neweggs customer service and RMA procedure. They took care of me on these sticks.

Back on topic: Take a look at my memset shot. Can you make any recommendations for me as far subtimings go?

Thanks man!

Last edited:
RedDragonXXX said:
My next stop would be 4-5-4-15 with 2.3Vdimm and 560MHz and work up.

I am talking about subtimings, not primarys bro. I'd like to stick with my primarys for now. Thanks Red.

From my analysis (on DDR) and extensive tweaking subtimings rarely made any impact from changing them back from default settings.

I'm no big expert on DDR2 so I'm not sure if it's the same case :shrug:

RedDragonXXX said:
From my analysis (on DDR) and extensive tweaking subtimings rarely made any impact from changing them back from default settings.

I'm no big expert on DDR2 so I'm not sure if it's the same case :shrug:

When I was making 4.3/4.4 Ghz SuperPi1m shots under phase change. Tweaking one value (TRFC) in subtimings actually had an impact on score by a few miliseconds. It all helps a tad.

Thanks anyway. Maybe someone will chime in with regards to DDR2.

Wish I could help you, but I have been out of the RAM game for over a year now so never had time to catch up with DDR2.

Hope these work out for your in a best way :beer:

RedDragonXXX said:
Wish I could help you, but I have been out of the RAM game for over a year now so never had time to catch up with DDR2.

Hope these work out for your in a best way :beer:

Hey, thanks alot man. I really appreciate it. Take a look in the Intel section in about a week. I should have my next big thread starting up: E6700 on Phase.

I just got my Vapochill modified by Jinu117 and the temperature drop was incredible. I dont think it will be readable on the stock Vapo LCD... too low... hehe

Anyway, may I ask why youre out of the ram game?

So what is so good about them. I see you have good timings but is there any other reason why they are so expensive that i am just not noticing?

Mv830 said:
So what is so good about them. I see you have good timings but is there any other reason why they are so expensive that i am just not noticing?

All it is premium binned ram with high frequency and low latency. Usually when buying ram you try and sacrifice either low latency or high frequency. Because of the incredibly high price of ram, its usually either one or the other. Premium stock will get you high Mhz and low latency like these modules. I had the original gskill HZ DDR2-800's and the biggest reason for myself needing the crazy UBER priced modules was the ability to run over 500 FSB with a 1:1 memory setup pushing tighter timings (4-4-4 not 5-5-5). I wanted low latency memory capable of very high frequency 550mhz to 600mhz at stock voltage (within warranty).

Thats basically where high priced premium binned stuff comes into play. If you are not extreme cooling I see no reason in hell to buy sticks like these. Hell, if I needed to buy these for full price theres no way I would.

Currently the Gskill HZ's and the Teamgroup 667's are great choices for air/water setups.

I just bought my friends teamgroup but I wont be able to use it for a while til I buy the rest of my computer pieces. The wait is tiresome:-/

dominick32 said:
Hey, thanks alot man. I really appreciate it. Take a look in the Intel section in about a week. I should have my next big thread starting up: E6700 on Phase.

I just got my Vapochill modified by Jinu117 and the temperature drop was incredible. I dont think it will be readable on the stock Vapo LCD... too low... hehe

Anyway, may I ask why youre out of the ram game?

Just don't have as much as time as I used to with school and everything else. I'll get back in it once things get stable again.

I saw your thread in cooling section about Vapochill unit, some crazy stuff :eek:

You should be able to hit 10s in PI like nothing.

dominick32 said:
All it is premium binned ram with high frequency and low latency. Usually when buying ram you try and sacrifice either low latency or high frequency. Because of the incredibly high price of ram, its usually either one or the other. Premium stock will get you high Mhz and low latency like these modules. I had the original gskill HZ DDR2-800's and the biggest reason for myself needing the crazy UBER priced modules was the ability to run over 500 FSB with a 1:1 memory setup pushing tighter timings (4-4-4 not 5-5-5). I wanted low latency memory capable of very high frequency 550mhz to 600mhz at stock voltage (within warranty).

Thats basically where high priced premium binned stuff comes into play. If you are not extreme cooling I see no reason in hell to buy sticks like these. Hell, if I needed to buy these for full price theres no way I would.

Currently the Gskill HZ's and the Teamgroup 667's are great choices for air/water setups.

You helped to answer a question I have.

If I can't get my FSB on a 1:1 memory set up over 430(with DDR2-800 would mean 860Mhz, correct?), it would be pointless to purchase memory capable of higher Mhz, is that right? Such as the Corsair 8500's or TEAM 1000's?

If you can't get your FSB with a 1:1 ratio up to or over the stock Mhz of the RAM, you aren't utilizing the full capacity of the memory. Is my logic correct here?

I've been reading everything I can on DDR2 memory and still find it a little confusing.

Volt said:
You helped to answer a question I have.

If I can't get my FSB on a 1:1 memory set up over 430(with DDR2-800 would mean 860Mhz, correct?), it would be pointless to purchase memory capable of higher Mhz, is that right? Such as the Corsair 8500's or TEAM 1000's?

If you can't get your FSB with a 1:1 ratio up to or over the stock Mhz of the RAM, you aren't utilizing the full capacity of the memory. Is my logic correct here?

I've been reading everything I can on DDR2 memory and still find it a little confusing.
Basically you shouldnt have any problem at all since you are on an X6800 with an upwards unlocked multiplier. The problem exists with people that have e6600's on phase, etc.

Lets say theoretically your E6600 processor had the capability to clock 4.54 Ghz. And your motherboard had the capability to clock 505 FSB. That would put your multiplier at 9 X and your FSB at 505.

505 = 4.54 Ghz.

So only having a maximum of a 9x multi on the E6600 limits ones ability to use cheap ram. You would need to run your memory on a 1:1 setup and you would need memory capable of 100% stable DDR2-1010 or 505mhz each stick. Under phase cooling you would also want memory that could clock 1010mhz and have lower latency 4-4-4. Most of the cheaper 667 and 800 D9's can clock 1010 mhz (thats not a problem) but a lot of them will need you to loosen up timings to 5-5-5 and bump up voltage on the sticks. With premium binned stock you can run 4-4-4 and clock upwards of DDR2-1150 mhz sometimes.

Now, would it be pointless for you to purchase uber priced memory? Thats up to you. Since you have an X6800 you can simply use a 12X multi and avoid memory issues completely. You could run 12 X 380 FSB 1:1 or even use a divider to increase ram frequency to over 400 mhz (DDR2-800)

Since you do have an X6800 to have the ultimate phase change setup (with money being out of the equation) you could definitely by a premium binned UBER priced set of sticks and run them at a lower multi on a 1:1 setup to achieve super high ram frequency and tight timings ultimately increaseing the overall performance of your system.

Example: 9 X 505 with the memory running at DDR2-1010 and 4-4-4 timings.
Rather than a cheaper set that would produce 9 X 505 DDR2-1010 at 5-5-5 timings. Its a big money issue: Do you pay for latency? or do you pay for frequency? or do you spend almost twice that amount of money and pay for both low latency and high frequency.

Sorry for the splurge of information. I had a nice big cup of coffee today.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info. I'd rather have too much than not enough. I'll just remember to buy you a double espresso next time I need help.:)

I'll mess around with the memory I have now and see what I can achieve. Building a new PC in the next couple of months, so I'll probably get some higher freq. RAM at that time.

Thanks again man!

Volt said:
Building a new PC in the next couple of months, so I'll probably get some higher freq. RAM at that time.

Dang... what you have in your sig. leaves most of us out in the cold!

Dom... as always... great info and UBER Ram!

I'd be curious to see the effects of increased fsb:ram ratio. I saw a few hints that it might increase overall performance a la P4s which just love raw bandwidth. If that's true upclocking ram with a divider with looser timings might be worth it and might make the high-end ram have a use even without phase. I'll try to find the info again..

Congrats on the RAM Dom, I am in a bind myself as to what to do. I am glad that you came up with something that works well for you!!

~jtjuska

Back