• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #46

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
This is the 46th in the series of T32 Spotlights!! I'll try my best to keep this Spotlight as regular post as possible as long as the nominations keep coming in!! So, keep sending me the nomination guys/gals!!!

For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD, or better yet, you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

Also, for any of the suggestions/questions/answers/etc. that you would like to see from other member, please PM me too!!

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

@mdOCer

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is ok if you don't know the specific date.
A month or two after I first joined the forums under my old account in probably what was around May 2003.

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?
Not much I can think about. I did go on a slight borging spree, got quite a few rigs up. They are down for the summer though.

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
For_Those_We_Lost

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city' would suffice)
Denver Colorado USA. The weather is usually pretty moderate but you do get extremes that make it perfect for overclocking and FAH, and extremes that make it a real pain in the butt. Not too long ago we had some heat that raised the temps in my room to levels where I had to lower my main rig down to stock clocks in order to keep it folding. On a borrowed laptop to keep the CPU temp out of the triple digits °C I had to turn it over and put a huge bag of ice on it while it was charging and put it in the freezer while it was discharging. :p Then again, last winter we had a day or two that got down close to 0°F and I set my rig up outside and did some massive overclocking. :D

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=4636434

How did you initially hear about F@H?
Various comments about it in OCF members sigs and profiles. This is totally random, but I was just thinking, we seriously need pocket sized nuclear reactors or something. Maybe ones I can put in my desk to power my PC and folding rigs.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
That is like asking "after starting, why do you eat, sleep, and *****?" I just do.

On a more serious note though, I believe in using my CPU for something other than just sitting idle while I browse the internet. FAH seems like the best usage of it to me. I would really like to see something major come out of the project as well. I also feel like part of the team, and yes I partly do it for the stats! I want to see some day when OCF becomes number one!

What do you do for a living?
Highschool.

What do you do for fun?
Eat ice cream, sit in front of my computer and surf the web, play Counter Strike 1.6, fix cars, and I really enjoy driving. Some freinds and I set up our own autocross course in an abondoned parking lot. Maybe some day I might actually go to a real SCCA Solo2 autoX event. Depends on if I have to pay extra to rent a helmet because if it is too much it isn't worth it since I can do a mini-autoX set up myself for free. :D

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
Pretty much the stuff I answered in the previous question.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
Main folding rig, main rig, gaming rig, web server, all the same thing. :D Anyway it has an AMD 1700+ Tbred B CPU. I payed a little extra to get a JIUHB DLT3C 0310 XPMW. It overclocks pretty darn good. In day to day usage I can run on air cooling at about 2.35 to 2.4, and if I really want to get things going and take my rig out in the cold, I can up the Vcore and get it up to 2.6+. Oh and I also have 3 sticks of different speeds of 256MB DDR, an Abit KD7 motherboard that has a Via KT400 chipset. A Fortron 400W PSU with a 120mm fan (my old one was a 300watt no name that came with my 15 dollar case, it started to make massive amounts of smoke. :p ), an SLK900A heatsink without a fan mounted directly on it, instead I have two on the back of my black Cheiftec Dragon with full side window with a duct to blow air from both into the heatsink. I also have one 40GB single platter Maxtor Diamond Max 8 (awsome reliability so far) and a 200GB Seagate (not so awsome reliability so far according to smart values). I also have an AGP ATi X700 Pro 256mb that overclocks like crap.

Those are the stats, why is it my fav? Because it really is my only rig. I do have one that I am trying to get online for Folding which will just sit in the mobo box caseless using my old parts. Those are an AMD 2100+ .18 micron Palomino which doesn't overclock very well and runs like a furnace, a Jetway V333 motherboard with a Via KT333 chipset and no multiplier control! And also my old Saphire Atlantis Radeon 9000 Pro 128mb.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)
Does CompUSA count? :eek:

j/k

I have a network of about 20-25 Pentium 4 2.8GHz Prescotts folding dual instances with hyper threading with 512mb of ram. My rig, 2.3-4ishGHz AthlonXP and 768mb of ram. Soon to come 1.73GHz AthlonXP 2100+ with 256mb of ram, and a 1.6Ghz Pentium 4 Willamette with 256mb of PC100 crap ram.

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
Right now all I am concerned with is getting my standardized test scores up so I have a better chance of getting to the universities I want. In the future though, it would be cool to be an airline pilot.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
Well, there isn't much I can think of except that I feel I should be much more involved with the team than I currently am. I used to help run the Folding Mentor project which went well for a while, but due to what I think was lack of organization on my part, the folding mentors somewhat lost interest, didn't see much results, and we all lacked communication to communicate what worked and what didn't. I decided to regroup my efforts and start an off-site site dedicated to the Folding mentor project, but it was hosted on lycos free webhosting and that gave us some nasty issues, so I wiped it out again and decided to come up with a better plan. Since then I have gotten a DSL connection and that now opens up huge webhosting possibilities. I really knew a lot about phpbb forum software, how to properly use it, how to hack and mod it, but I had no idea about actual web hosting. Since then I taught myself how to get an apache web server going on my own machine, how to configure it to get it to work, port forwarding, getting mysql and php5 to work. php5 was a pain in the butt to get working with mysql for a newb like me, but I eventually got it. So anyway, now that webhosting is no longer an issue I am rethinking plans of a new Folding Mentor Project, but this time something to work on everything about recruitment for FAH and T32. I am hoping when the time comes to start asking for volunteers I have everything planned out well enough that it isn't a dud for the third time. Anyway, I hope to become much more involved in that way, and I REALLY hope it works out and we start recruiting more members. If we doubled the amount of active members folding for 32, it probably wouldn't increase production twofold, but we would be producing probably in the mid to high 300's.:D

As a side note, if you have any pics (in jpg format for the dial-suck users) of things like your hobbies, computer(s), yourself, etc.... that you want to add to the thread to give people more of an idea of who you are, then please let me know, you can either give me the link where it's hosting (for pics), or you could email them to me so I can host them for you. I will post them with the interview when it is your turn.

edit1.jpg

DSCF0534.jpg

DSCF0535.jpg

Last edited:
what? what happen?? :confused:
dunno.gif

I shouldn't post it at 1am I guess..... :D :p

@mdOCer, nice to meet you! well, autox isn't gonna cost you much (besides the car and prep) and is a good start! most of them have loaner helmet for free too plus the cost of autox is typically around $15-30.

Last edited:
Great to meet you @MD :)

Keep up the good work and I wish you well on your school efforts :thup:

Fold on!

:beer: :beer:

and great job LS :thup: ... easy for me to say since i didn't look at it early enuf to see what the oops was all about :D

Hey everyone. Glad to know you are all glad to meet me. :p Dang, I almost forgot about this team spotlight thing, I need to do some reading and get to know some other members better myself.

||Console|| said:
That Car is squating hard =) give it to her

LOL! One thrust and I think it would flip that thing. If my tires weren't so ****ty I bet I would have tossed that thing on its roof by now. :eek:

Anyway, my room isn't 100 degrees anymore. More like 50 degrees now. My overclock is a wee bit higher because I can get more stability out of the lower CPU temps (as long as I keep it under 60C at this clockspeed and volts). Trying to pump out as many WU's as humanly possible!

Back