• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

motherboard for E6600?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I am thinking about getting an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz, and I need a good motherboard for it.

Question #1:
Which motherboards will work right out of the box?

When I read custom reviews on newegg, it seems ALL the motherboards that support Core 2 Duo having customers complaint about the motherboard won't even post until the BIOS gets updated.

My last upgrade was 3.5 years ago, so it was socket 478. I don't have any 775 processor around to do such job. Getting a motherboard that won't work and must be flashed with updated BIOS with another socket 775 processor that I don't even have is not an opinion for me. Thus I need a motherboard that will work right out of the box for sure, without having through the troubles of getting BIOS flashed first.

Question #2:
Do these new motherboards actually have IDE ports? Or any sort of way to use IDE devices on them?

Well though I will get a SATA hard disk as new primary disk, it will be great if I can still use my old WD SE drive which stores lots of the stuff I need. Ok, using this WD SE might not be a must. But what about the DVD drive etc.? So I need to know if these boards still support IDE devices. I don't see them mention that.

Also note, I am looking at high end good overclocking boards.
So please only list the boards that fit these conditions. thanks!

Last edited:
I beleive the P5W DH has one primary IDE channel. Just buy a version that has been flashed to (I think) 0701 bois.

but those people who didn't even get a beep have no reason to lie. Pretty much ALL motherboards have more than a few people complainted about it wouldn't post before BIOS gets updated, which worries me. Since flash BIOS is not an opinion for me because I don't have another socket 775 processor around.

you could always borrow from someone here just post a wanted ad. this late in the c2d game every mobo now has a bios that boots with c2d.

#18 said:
but those people who didn't even get a beep have no reason to lie. Pretty much ALL motherboards have more than a few people complainted about it wouldn't post before BIOS gets updated, which worries me. Since flash BIOS is not an opinion for me because I don't have another socket 775 processor around.

And with the DH, had they done there research they would have found that a call to Asus's bios dep. and the cost of shipping would have gotten them a bios chip pre-flashed with the newest release bios.
Another case of newegg reviewers lack of reaserch.

Back