• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next gen video cards to require 1KW PSU's????!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

knightwolf6543

well i just went and looked through my maximum pc magazine when something caught my eye about next gen video cards
maximum PC said:
if you witnessed the arrival of 1-kilowatt PSU's and rolled your eyes, we have some bad news for you you're gonna need one when next-gen video cards from nvidia and Ati arrive. PSU birdies have informed us that next-gen cards will suck down as much as 300 watts -per card! today's top of the line cards guzzle around 115 watts under load.

i plan to buy a 8800 when it comes out should i wait to buy a psu till then?

I'm still hoping that they include power adapters like they did with the voodoo 5, kind of like the power brick with the the xbox 360. Anyways there is no way I'm getting either of these card series when they come out initially anyhow.

wow....you just reminded me that I got the latest Max PC in the mail a few days ago and forgot to read it! :) DOH!

oh, yeah. that's crazy about the PSU requirements BTW :)

12volts x25amps is 300watts. The only 1kw psu i know is the pcp&p and it is multi rail with 36amps for the graphics. there for it wouldnt be able to handle a sli or cf config, if both are pulling 25amps.

The more interesting thing is this here
1KW psu
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=TC1KW4E&view=techspecs
now look at the new silencer-750
http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75EPS&view=techspecs

now if you were to make the 1kw psu a single rail the difference in total 12v amps is 6 amps between the two. No im not talking peak amps either, 1kw is listed as 66 amps total with 750@ 60amps.

There needs to be some kind of external powerbrick. Not only that but can you think of what kind of cooling will be needed? Look at coolers now, they only dissipate less then half what's expected to come. The madness needs to end.

If they dont have an external power brick 90% of computer gamers, with current gen cards, wont be able to power even one. How many people do they expect to actually buy a $300+ 1k psu to power their video cards?

Basically what I am trying to say is that if they dont have some sort of power brick then not many people will buy it, not many gamers will move to vista, and dx10 wont be used in the mainstream until the next gen of less power hungry cards hit.

I'm glad I got that 7900gs off of woot even more now

rant over.

Im really hoping that toms hardware is right. It may look very gay but there is no way I could power these monsters otherwise.

Image 1

Image 2

no matter what there is no way I'm buying either next gen series card until this power issue has been reviewed to death or at least enough to calm my pessimistic attitude.

edit: changed to link to images instead of show them

Last edited:
These rumours are an incentive to buy a DX9 card now and sit the first generation of DX10 cards out, I guess. First generation products are commonly wise to avoid anyway, and certainly if they are burdened with excessive power requirements. The main page also mentioned the advent of the 'new Presshot era' in the graphics arena.

FIZZ3 said:
These rumours are an incentive to buy a DX9 card now and sit the first generation of DX10 cards out, I guess. First generation products are commonly wise to avoid anyway, and certainly if they are burdened with excessive power requirements. The main page also mentioned the advent of the 'new Presshot era' in the graphics arena.
I have been saying this for sometime but more or less suggesting that first gen dx10 cards will have bugs. I guess you could consider having a external video with psu a bug. cause going to a lan or such is going to be a pita, i mean what if someone STOLE your card!! LOL

you can take this with a grain of salt, but according to microsoft, DX10 is supposed to be like 6-8 times faster than DX9 cards. Which would allow for MUCH higher visuals. But these thermal/power problems are pretty crazy....if it's true, I hope that us enthusiasts can help to change things. I'd think our voice would have to mean something. So if we don't buy these crazily hungry cards, maybe they'll listen? :)

the 9700 from ATI was a huge success actually and that was a first generation DX9 card. I wish there was more info available on DX10 cards...I would really like to know what kind of price points we are looking at.

I might just go buy one of those x1800gto2's...gah

Back