• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright HR-05 SLI Chipset Cooler Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

Hey,

like always when i find something new to play with i make a review anyway heres my new chipset cooler, its awesome. Running it with no fan total passive paid 19.99 at svc.com using it with my zalman super thermal grease.

also will compare the my freezer 64 pro vs amd stock heatpipe cpu cooler

Box
1sn6.jpg

inside
2lx7.jpg

Front
3oi5.jpg

Back
4uj1.jpg

nice didnt even lap it and its like a mirror sorry camera stinks
5hm3.jpg

zip tie shot
6su2.jpg

thats what the zip ties are for so card is not touching the metal
67yk7.jpg

you can see the bottom half of the chipset cooler is like a mirror
7va9.jpg

nice card looks like its touching it but its not
8vu3.jpg

Whole Setup
setupll5.jpg

Last edited:
will show temps soon, i will be running this fanless and im going to review it against my Evercool VC-RE Twinkling chipset cooler
untitledtb4.jpg

should i run a game and record temps or what program can i use to see whats the load on chipset?

My Temperature with Evercool was 39c idle load was 45-47c full fan speed

gonna play cs source and record temps will post later prolly play for an hour

load temps report 41-42c with everest !!

Last edited:
very nice, looking forward more details. :beer: i'd be interested to see temps under load while playing oblivion, if you have it.

quick question: in your "zip tie" shot, it looks like the cooler might block access to the motherboard molex plug. did you have any trouble with it, or is it just the way the shot was taken?

kovboi said:
very nice, looking forward more details. :beer: i'd be interested to see temps under load while playing oblivion, if you have it.

quick question: in your "zip tie" shot, it looks like the cooler might block access to the motherboard molex plug. did you have any trouble with it, or is it just the way the shot was taken?

o yea the way the shot was its fits good :) ill take another shot and i will do it with oblivion will install it now and let you know.

Looks like it fits like a glove... man, and after I just bought 3 Evercool replacements b/c of your previous review. :bang head Not really... I'm happy with the Evercool sinks. :beer: Even though I'm a huge Thermalright fanboy I don't think I'll be purchasing this one.

:thup: to redrumy3 for the review and Thermalright for yet another outstanding product.

harlam357 said:
Looks like it fits like a glove... man, and after I just bought 3 Evercool replacements b/c of your previous review. :bang head Not really... I'm happy with the Evercool sinks. :beer: Even though I'm a huge Thermalright fanboy I don't think I'll be purchasing this one.

:thup: to redrumy3 for the review and Thermalright for yet another outstanding product.
Thanksss :-D

Only reason i changed the evercool is cause im going to try total silent pc or trying to make it extremely low lol. Going to order new fans on monday that are silent but can puch alot of air.

Installed Oblivion and will test chipset test now, was out all day and forgot to post them :)

well i was playing it for about an 1 hour and my North Bridge Temps didnt break 40c everest is telling me.

My Motherboard temps was 40-43c as well

Cpu Temps didnt break past 37c - i had to put back on my artic freezer cause it performs better than the amd stock pipe cooler.

Everest Logging stinks =/

[hijack]

Some of the AMD pipe sinks are really good and some aren't so good. I have one that keeps my OC'd 144 @ 2.9GHz a cool 38~40C, under Folding@Home load. :thup: Yet the other identical AMD pipe cooler I have is somewhat less impressive. It wouldn't keep my OC'd 146 @ 2.8GHz below 50C under load. Appears that the pipes themselves or the contact between the pipes and the base is much better on some than others.

[/hijack]

I wouldn't expect anything else from Thermalright... looks like they've really got the pipes down now. My Ultra-120 is a beast! :D

I believe Ross uses the HR-05 chipset cooler on his P5B, and he's seeing insane high FSB clocks.... Looks pretty effective....

hey,

yea stock pipe amd cooler was not cooling right i think my cpu hit 48c cause i have it that it reboots when it hits that temp.

As for my artic freezer its great temps are back to normal :-D

i have a question my northbridge is my nf4 chipset right >? Cause some reason my motherboard temps are like 45c while gaming but northbridge stays at 40c

think im going to need another fan blowing out air on bottom of case.

i uploaded my log file can u tell me if you can see the temps. and since i got new cooler and all i redid all my paste on everything, cpu,gpu,chipset :-D with my zalman super grease

forgot i had my gpu fan on low switched it to hi in middle of gaming u can tell when ;)

Attachments

• temps.zip
    9.7 KB · Views: 252
redrumy3 said:
i have a question my northbridge is my nf4 chipset right >? Cause some reason my motherboard temps are like 45c while gaming but northbridge stays at 40c
yep, that's right. the motherboard temp is, i believe, for the pwmic, and might be a result of your stock amd cooler not being very efficient. i don't think i've seen the northbridge lower than the pwmic temps though - impressive.

do you think the hr-05 would mount facing the opposite direction on the ultra-d? there isn't enough room in my rig for it to be mounted with the fins between the video card and heatsink, but i like the idea of having the fins sitting over the intake fan of my nv silencer...if it will fit, that is. :p

kovboi said:
yep, that's right. the motherboard temp is, i believe, for the pwmic, and might be a result of your stock amd cooler not being very efficient. i don't think i've seen the northbridge lower than the pwmic temps though - impressive.

do you think the hr-05 would mount facing the opposite direction on the ultra-d? there isn't enough room in my rig for it to be mounted with the fins between the video card and heatsink, but i like the idea of having the fins sitting over the intake fan of my nv silencer...if it will fit, that is. :p

lol, i was going to mount it the other way but i couldnt cause of my gfx card cooler gets in way so i only had that way to mount it but it would fit fine if i didnt have the custom cooler on x1800xt.

can you show me a pic of ur inside?

kovboi said:
heh, well here are a couple pics of my rig:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7469/picture012qm7.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1028/picture013dg4.jpg

just eyeballing it looks like the center of the fan on my silencer extends about 4cm from the video card pcb.

hmm, i could also flip around my heatsink so that the heatpipes wouldn't be in the way, but i like having it blow over the memory slots.

hmm hard to tell if it would fit

heres a shot with thermalright installation picture with a stock cooler on the x1800 or w.e card that is. not sure but maybe yours can fit lol

14.JPG

Thanks for the review Redrummy, I was thinking about buying the HR-05-SLI but wanted to see a decent shakedown from a reputable source first. I'm heading to the egg to place my order. BTW, a friend is letting me test drive his Freezer 64 Pro while he test drives my old AMD 3200+, so I'm glad to see you have good things to say about the freezer too. My NF4 chipset has been getting ungodly hot since I installed my 4800 x2. Running dual Prime 95 made it so hot it shut down. I'll be installing both coolers this weekend if the egg gets the HR-05 here in time.

EDIT: Questions; 1> How abou running DUal Prime 95 Large in place FFT's to test cooling power? Kicked my Chipset temp to 72C
2> Does the HR-05 SLI seem to have a solid, steady mount?

Last edited:
Slake said:
Thanks for the review Redrummy, I was thinking about buying the HR-05-SLI but wanted to see a decent shakedown from a reputable source first. I'm heading to the egg to place my order. BTW, a friend is letting me test drive his Freezer 64 Pro while he test drives my old AMD 3200+, so I'm glad to see you have good things to say about the freezer too. My NF4 chipset has been getting ungodly hot since I installed my 4800 x2. Running dual Prime 95 made it so hot it shut down. I'll be installing both coolers this weekend if the egg gets the HR-05 here in time.

EDIT: Questions; 1> How abou running DUal Prime 95 Large in place FFT's to test cooling power? Kicked my Chipset temp to 72C
2> Does the HR-05 SLI seem to have a solid, steady mount?

Hey,

Glad to see my review is helping :)

i can run prime for you but i think only 1 since i dont have dual aore yet. the mount is steady just when u redo the paste it slides easy just have to wait i guess so it sticks good and then its fine. another thing is they give u that kind of rubber thing to put on the bottom of the cooler just be careful you dont rip it lol cause its very sticky and can rip easy :)

other than that id say its awesome chipset cooler. im running it passive as well im sure if i stuck a fan on it but i cant since i have no room it would be even better!

well i ran 1 prime with large in place fft's if u want ill try and run it over night when u click on it , i think u have to click on picture again so u can see the temps clearer

untitled.jpg untitled2.jpg untitled3.jpg untitled4.jpg untitled5.jpg untitled6.jpg untitled7.jpg untitled8.jpg untitled9.jpg

heres how it looks with my freezer in plus my new artic cooling fans 2x120mm n a 92mm sidefan

DSC02610.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for running Prime. I thought you had an X2- my bad- lol-. Very impressive temps, only 6 deg above Idle temp running Prime95. With a passive cooler no less!
Beautiful job on case wiring and cooling layout too. Looks like the HR-05 SLI is getting some good airflow from the Arctic 64 Pro and the front case fan(s) I bet you have blowing over your HDD.
My HR-05 SLI is on the way from the egg's NJ warehouse:bday: . Cant wait!

Off to update my sig. 4800 Toledo X2 instead of 3200 winnie

Slake said:
Thanks for running Prime. I thought you had an X2- my bad- lol-. Very impressive temps, only 6 deg above Idle temp running Prime95. With a passive cooler no less!
Beautiful job on case wiring and cooling layout too. Looks like the HR-05 SLI is getting some good airflow from the Arctic 64 Pro and the front case fan(s) I bet you have blowing over your HDD.
My HR-05 SLI is on the way from the egg's NJ warehouse:bday: . Cant wait!

Off to update my sig. 4800 Toledo X2 instead of 3200 winnie

:) thanks i still have some small jobs to do on the wires wanna hide them better :D and thats why i bought all new fans with more cfm :-D. that was the only way i could of put the hr-05 sli cause my cooler on my x1800xt gets in the way but i guess it would be better the way i have it now like u said getting nice airflow :)

love when my stuff comes from nj warehouse cause i get it the next day :) so its like nextday shipping but free :-D

Lol, the zip ties are for the 70/80mm fan that you can add to it, not to keep the heatsink from touching your GFX. Although it seems to work (and look odd).

I have my HR-05 SLI mounted at a 45 degree angle with a fan behind it which pushes air through the HR-05, then against the voltage regulator heatsink (the long thin red one) on my X1900XT.

Back