• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair HX520 or HX620???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Froggy

So the best I can tell, the only meaningful difference between these two PSU's is about 120W or 10A on the 12V line. Now compared to my Fortron Blue Storm that everyone raved about, the 520 has 115 more watts on the 12V line and the 620 has 235 MORE watts. So my current set-up is a 3Ghz Single core Opty with currently a volt modded 7900GT and a few HDDs, a D5 & 5-6 fans. Now within 6-12 months I will go Conroe and shoot for 4Ghz and run a 1950xt or whatever DX10 card that is all the rage! I highly doubt I will ever go Crossfire or SLI just because I currently have zero desire to spend that kind of money or add that complexity to my WC loop. And see selective performance gains. So would the 520 work and allow me to save 50 dollars? Or should I quit rambling and buy the damn 620?

p.s. Are there any new PSU connectors coming out that will/would make a current PSU obsolete? For example my Blue Storm does not have an EPS12V connector!

I saw a review for those units not to long ago and heard they were fairly top of the line. All being because they are brand new and include a lot of good features, or something. Im sure the 520w would be fine but if you've got the cash, why not go for the 600w just incase you end up needing the power.

I should have a HX520W review up next weekend.

Sneak peak: Same performance, less wattage on the 12V rails. It's still more than adequate for most SLI builds. Only hesitation would be quad SLI or perhaps dual CPU/GPU with a bunch of drives.

MadMan007 said:
You should be happy people are linking your work not rolly-eyes at it :bday:

LOL! The roll eyes was the most appropriate I could find. I was looking more for something along the lines of a wandering eye. ;)

I just thought it was funny that I'm right up there talking about it and then my review gets linked like I'm not even there. It's so typical "read only the first post and hit reply" that all I could do is roll eyes. :D

jonnyGURU said:
I should have a HX520W review up next weekend.

Sneak peak: Same performance, less wattage on the 12V rails. It's still more than adequate for most SLI builds. Only hesitation would be quad SLI or perhaps dual CPU/GPU with a bunch of drives.

Same low ripple on the 12V lines as well?

Travis Dawes said:
Same low ripple on the 12V lines as well?

I'll know next week. I've got two or three PSU's ahead of it and these things take time. To give you an idea, I have to program the ATE, run each PSU no less than 15 minutes for no less than 5 tests, and capture the scope output on each load. I could knock the whole process out in a day and actually have a PSU review a day if this were my full time job, but I don't have any (paying) advertisers so I only do this on my free time.

Unfortunately, my daughter is sick today so I'm taking care of her. So everything is bumped one day. :(

I have an 18 month old and an 8 week old(both girls), take care your daughter! And let me personally say thank you for your time to review this stuff so I can make an informed decision!

i have the hx 520 with e6300 @ 2.73 7900 gs @ 663/902 p5w dh deluxe and 6 fans and it's all good and i could add second graphics card if needed so buy the 520 imo

Back