• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU: Corsair HX620W

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
A full review is coming for the front page, but in the meantime, here is a brief of the new Corsair HX620W modular PSU that I received from Corsair. Yes, it's modular and it has split 12V rails. The difference between this PSU and most that fall into that category is: it *works* with really heavy loads.

hx620-2.jpg

hx620-3.jpg

hx620-8.jpg

Specs can be found here.

As you'll see in the full review, I loaded it up very well and it didn't miss a beat. The 3 12V rails can handle a 18A each and 50A max on 12V. I tested that out but running both static (up to 44A) and static (27.6A) plus dynamic loads (930 @ 4.8GHz + x1900XT @ 700/800).

Some of the more noteworthy features:
- Guaranteed to deliver rated output at 50°C
- 105°C rated caps instead of 85°C
- Rails automatically share power when one 12V is overloaded (no manual configuration necessary)
- Over 80% efficiency from 140W-620W
- 5-year warranty ;)

Probably the most important thing is how the rails are divided up. The three heaviest draws (PCIe's and the CPU) are each primarily on one of the 3 different 12V rails and that's likely a prime reason it handles loads much better than just about any split 12V rail PSU we've seen so far. Having 18A available on each certainly doesn't hurt either ;) Benching while running the OCed x1900XT on PCIe #1, a static 18A ballast load on PCIe #2 and the 930 Presler @ 4.8GHz with super high Vc (1.65V actual) AND 9.6A ballast load to increase the draw on 12V3, nothing was pulled under 12.00V (CPU ATX) and all other measure points were between 12.12-12.17V while on load. While I wasn't able to measure exact DC output from the PSU, input was 776W on average during the bench loops, which is pretty tough.

hx620-9.jpg

Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not necessarily a big fan of modular PSUs and we all know that multiple 12V rails haven't been the best for CF/SLI and/or dual core Prescotts/Preslers. This unit has restored my faith that split 12V rail power supplies don't "have to" suck :D I'd have no problem recommending this PSU to anyone with CF/SLI. Considering the fact that I used 336W of ballast load and was statically pulling the full rated 18A on a single rail the whole time while running the system with that OC :eek: , this PSU is the polar opposite of everything I've seen with split 12V supplies. Corsair definitely gets 2 thumbs up from me on this thing :thup: :thup:

Last edited:
What are the caps on the primary and secondary (sec looks like chemicon)? Rather sparse HSF. Mate, I'd like to see the ripple on it and maybe a few cross-load tests. Static ballast tests and a DMM don't reval too much. Hook it to a scope for more insight. I'm looking forward to the review. :thup:

What are the caps on the primary and secondary (sec looks like chemicon)? Rather sparse HSF. Mate, I'd like to see the ripple on it and maybe a few cross-load tests. Static ballast tests and a DMM don't reval too much. Hook it to a scope for more insight. I'm looking forward to the review
I actually couldn't seen any branding on them, but I'll try looking again the next time I open it. The HSF might look sparse, but I don't think it needs to be oversized with the fan right on top of it. It's not unlike sinks found in other "good" PSUs, so there is a bit of track record with them. Even at the highest load I got on it, air coming out the back wasn't much warmer than what was going in. The fan control is Johnny on the Spot and a decent amount of the heat seems to be dissipated to the PSU case itself.

That's why I didn't run static ballast loads only (OCed/loaded system + ballast), but there's no way in hell I would've been able to get anywhere >375-400W draw on the system without it unless I bought a CF master card AND plugged in a TEC ;) O-scope...one of these days.

Ross said:
This unit has restored my faith that split 12V rail power supplies don't "have to" suck

Hmm wow, I'm surprised it can actually output that. Looks like someone has gotten the rail fusion concept right. Seems like now though, if you keep doing these reviews, you have a "practical" reason to upgrade to CrossFire. Nudge nudge. ;)

And uh, ahem, where did this unit come from now. ;)

Yeah, they did a good job for sure. Send me your master card and I'll pop it in and give it a totally dynamic load for a workout :D

LOL. Oops, the review says it at the start and finish, but I edited the OP here to reflect that it came from Corsair so there's no confusion ;)

Super Nade said:
Mate, I'd like to see the ripple on it and maybe a few cross-load tests.

jonnyGURU reviewed it too - the answers you seek lie therein.

Caps are Hitachi on the primary, Chemicon on the secondary. These beauties are going straight to my recommendation list - I'm very impressed with them. OEM looks to be Seasonic.

Yup yup, Wolf. I saw that just a moment ago. :)

JonnyGURU said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For the most part the O-scope readings are looking pretty good. 12V1 and 12V2 results might warrant a little concern because we're seeing a total swing of .1V under this load. But it has to be taken into consideration that this is a 39A load on the 12V rail! That's a pretty heavy load!

Note that the ATX standard for ripple is 120 mV, so this is well within spec.

PS#
Wolf, the Ablecom JonnyGURU worked on has an incredible 60mV ripple at 40A. I'm sure you are aware of some of the odd thing's I've been seeing with the Ablecom unit. I am very close to concluding that it is the quirk of the ASUS board and its buggy BIOS.
[/FONT]

Super Nade said:
I am very close to concluding that it is the quirk of the ASUS board and its buggy BIOS.

Hope so - I'd like to leave the Ablecom on my recommendation list, being only about $160 Canadian and all ;)

Tested it again on an X2 3800 AM2 system (after the S939 Opteron), worked flawlessly even with just 1 HDD, and an OC'ed x1800xt/AM2 (that took care of the 12V draw). There was nothing else drawing from the 5V and 3.3 V, no opticals, no floppy and no extra HDD's. :shrug:

OklahomaWolf's recommended list: don't need to read anything more than that to know it's good stuff ;)

I didn't get readings as low as JonnyGURU (particularly 5V, which was 5.03V min for me), but he has MUCH more sophisticated loading and measuring equipment than I do. I won't even pretend to be in the same league as him for PSU testing. As far as I am concerned, if I am even within ±5% of his results, I did a great job :D In any event, the real confirmation for me was the OCed system+ballast on looped benches...the HX620W didn't even seem to break a sweat on it and the other split rail 600W PSU I have laying around would've hit protection as soon as I hit the start button, if not before, LOL.

Yes, it's very similar to the Seasonic inside and that's the PSU I was referring to when talking about the sinks. The layout seems to be the same or extremely similar, but there are definitely some differences.

BTW, S_N, I thought you were on a little vacation...glad to see you back!

Super Nade said:
Just a notch below the Zippy gaming units I presume ;)

A couple notches... still have PC P&C, Delta, and Etasis between the two. Not sure I like what I've heard about bad solder joints over at Badcaps.

Ross said:
Yes, it's very similar to the Seasonic inside and that's the PSU I was referring to when talking about the sinks. The layout seems to be the same or extremely similar, but there are definitely some differences.

I'm about fully convinced already - the triple 12v rails are one clue, central main filter cap is another, and the choice of capacitors are yet another. Then there's the model number with identical specs in the Seasonic UL file page ;)

Somebody is getting banned (I think I know who you may be. 20 + posts and posting BS, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE) :rolleyes:

Your have been reported and I'll see to it that you don't get back in here ever again.

Last edited:
Super Nade said:
Somebody is getting banned (I think I know who you may be. 20 + posts and posting BS, I KNOW WHO YOU ARE) :rolleyes:

Your have been reported and I'll see to it that you don't get back in here ever again.

Emailing every mod as well till he is gone. :mad:

Right now is when I need a "God" key.

Nice, but I'm still sticking with single 12V.

BTW...When it comes to modula PSU's Sintek 500W was one of my favorite and I still own one. 34A on 12V, easily adjustable rail pot, fan controller, very flexible cables...

Back