• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Core Temp" - CPU Temperature monitoring tool for the K8 series

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Silverfoot said:
Awsome proggy. Seems that something is whacked somewhere though..

I'll post the exact diff. tonight, but out of memory there is a BIG gap between this and MBM

2x F@H __ MBM= 31 //CT=48

(roughly~yikes)

MBM and all other temperatire monitoring programs use a sensor on the Motherboard where this uses a sensor directly on the CPU.

CanadianTSi said:
MBM and all other temperatire monitoring programs use a sensor on the Motherboard where this uses a sensor directly on the CPU.
Not true -- they use the sensor reported by the BIOS. If your temperature responds quickly to starting a number cruncher like prime95 or superpi, then it's on the die, not the MB. My question is how my MB uses both of these sensors to come up with one value to report that's different from both?

Hmmmm finaly able to test Primeing with it just to see the temps and WOW do I have a difference between core temps.

I know I should be in the high 30's and low 40's for my regular program I read tempatures from and I'm not more so in the mid 40's. Time for a cleaning and reseating I guess since I didn't even do that when I put it into the new case.

But the Core Temp is reading 60-64C on Core #1 and 48-50C on Core #2. mind you this is only after running Prime for less then 5min with a room temp of 76.5F (sorry don't have my C converter infront of me). If this is really the case then I could see why Core #1 is failing all the time when I try for higher clocks.

Oh BTW Idling it actually gets semi close to the temp I see on the temp program also CPU is sitting around 34-36C with Core Temp reading 39C for Core #1 and 32C for Core #2.

This is a great little utility - thank you very much.

My motherboard's sensor is reading 42 C at idle right now, which I thought was a bit high - but CoreTemp is says both cores are at ~38C. Not a huge change, but I still wonder what my real core temp is. What's more useful, however, is knowing that both cores are within 2 C of each other, so the Storm block is seated well.

---

Found a huge problem last week with my mounting while checking temps during load on my X2 - this is an excellent utility!

Last edited:
It wont work with my Intel D950. I get a message: "This is not an Intel Core Processor'"

Any one have some ideas how to make it work??

UglyChild said:
It wont work with my Intel D950. I get a message: "This is not an Intel Core Processor'"

Any one have some ideas how to make it work??
P-Ds are not supported. You need a at least a Yonah ("Core" duo/solo) or a K8

I get a huge difference between MBM5 and core temp. Like a 20 degree difference!! I am also having a problem, everytime I load a program to stress the cpu, core temp say it has encountered an error and needs to close. I would think that maybe my system isn't stable but it can run the "Blend" test for as long as I let it without erroring out so I don't know what to think.

Any ideas?

Try this. It has logging disabled, might prevent it from crashing.

Next version will allow to toggle logging on/off.

Thank you very much. That worked great. 8^)
Now if I could just figure out which of these temps are right. There's such a large difference between "Speedfan/MBM5" and "CoreTemp".

works great. at first my temps between everst and this were about +10c on this tool not there exactl the same or 1c+ on this tool. temp changes alot faster when i use cpu burn in on this tool and cools down quick. unlike everst that takes just as long for my cpu to cool down on air as it did on my wc loop. nice to know my money isent wasted. great little tool.

in updated version would there be a cpu icon like on cpuz? i kinda like looking at the FX. i do love eye candy in bling in programs.

I retried this program on a 3000+ winchester and it reported temperatures to within 1C of Speedfan. Also the temperature when reported by Speedfan and MBM5 tends to drop randomly to 20C for a couple of seconds, (possibly a motherboard problem), but CoreTemp doesn't do this...very usefull!

I have my 3800x2 H20 cooled, with an 18000XT in the loop, and idle I'm running 33C and 41C. GPU is running 43C idle. At load, running Prime95 on one core and RTHDRIBLE on the other, my CPU temps go to 53C and 61C, and my GPU goes to about 52C. I'm really wondering if I should re-do my IHS, or leave it bare and make some sort of shim. I'm really surprised the aftermarket hasn't come out with a shim product for naked cores like they did for the Socket A CPUs. Oh yeah, my Vcore is about 1.48V and I'm running 2.7 Ghz.

Back