• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

World's *first* CAS 3 @ DDR2-1000!! (no 56K)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
DDR2-1000 CAS 3

As far as we can tell, this is the very first known case of CAS 3 hitting DDR2-1000 speed! :D This was achieved on Corsair XMS TWIN2X2048 6400C3s that I will be doing a full review on whenever I stop drooling on my keyboard :drool: That's right, not only CAS3 @ DDR2-1000, but on a 2GB kit to boot!

I just received these sticks a couple of days ago from Corsair as review samples and they looked really strong to start, but I never expected anything like this :D Voltage is, uh, "higher than stock" (2.45V). These are really strong on 2.2V to start, running DDR2-900 at default timings (3-4-3-9) benchable.

Initial screenies are at 250FSB (2:1 divider) where I initially hit it, but there's definitely more to come... :D

1000-3434-250fsb-1m.gif

1000-3434-250fsb-32m.gif

Ramdom screenie, haven't tried anything over the DDR2-1000 mark yet for benches...still working on getting this tired 955 NB to run these puppies at these clocks @ 333FSB+. Every time I say I am going to take it easy on the board until Conroe boards are released, something "forces" me to thrash it once more :D

1020-3434.gif

Last edited:
Nice ram there Ross. Great job on getting that pair. Looks like Corsair is the first to pull through with a CAS3 @ 1000. Will be good to see performance without the 1:2 divider and some bandwidth benchmarks in comparison the the 8000ul.

Looking forward to seeing the review and how well they push at higher voltages and frequencies...

That's really incredible. I wonder what's possible at tCAS 4.

Thanks guys!

proth, there's more room to play with CAS3 than 4 it seems. DDR-1100 4-4-3-4 is about as high a stable as they will go even trying 2.5-2.55V and CAS5. 2.6-2.7V might squeeze 1120-1140 stable out of the them, but considering they'll do DDR2-1080 4-4-(3|4) with 2.1-2.2V, it would hardly be worth the abuse for the extra 10-20MHz.

Likewise, DDR2-1000 CAS 3 seems to be about as high stable as it will bench so far and because of my well-beat-on mobo, the NB gets flakey with the mem at this speed >333FSB for 32Ms (1Ms are no problem). I'd hate to buy a 975 board before a Conroe version is out, but I am SO tempted because this stuff would be just sick with 400FSB behind it ;) DDR2-800 3-3-3 is no problem at all and it **might** be able to squeeze 3-3-2 there with some voltage. It did 3-3-2 a lower than stock speed, but I was just testing the waters before raising the Vddr. I will be posting benches with some FSB to back them up maybe later or tomorrow. I am just including 32M SPi's to show stability right now. The high FSB benches will probably be CAS4 with speed (which is no slouch) or CAS 3 as high as the poor NB will allow, LOL.

Alchemy1, maybe now that AMD is on AM2/DDR2, but it could take a while. CAS3 DDR2 is the top o the line and you'll have to pay for it, especially for 2GB. When I see "psuedo-generic" brands putting out 2GB kits for the same price, Corsair is a bargain and the obvious choice ;)

1100-4434-32m.gif

I have to get a set of these, Corsair has really taken the lead with this Ram. It may be D9 but it's not ordinary D9 they are using here, newer IC's and binned to the teeth it looks like. I'd say your board is doing just fine! What we need to see next is the same mhz or higher with some 5ghz+ CPU action :D

Good job Ross.

don't get me wrong, i do not wish to detract from what is obviously a very strong set of ram. i have to ask though, what is with the cas obsession recently? since when does cas1,5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, or even 5 matter? it's just something i've been noticing recently and i think it's a marketing push for expensive ddr2 ram.

Maxi, no doubt, these things are crazy good. Fatbodies run close to the same top speed at a tad tighter timings, but they need MAJOR voltage to do it...and in most cases, with half the capacity (2x512MB). To boot, I haven't seen a fatbody run CAS 3 much over DDR2-800 no matter how much voltage was tossed to it (2.8-2.9V). These do that stock with <2.2V :eek:

Higher voltage is needed for CAS3 @ DDR2-1000 of course, but any stock board with a standard 2.3V max option should be able to run these things ~DDR900 CAS3 and/or ~DDR1080 CAS4 with no problem (YMMV of course ;).

2.201V measured :):

1066_4444_355fsb_1m.gif

What I mean by my board getting "tired" is that it used to run >400FSB on the stock NB cooler+50mm fan. Now it struggles to reach 385-390FSB with everything else being the same. With the tight timings/high speed on these, the stress on the MCH is that much more and the board gets a bit bent out of shape at even lower FSB (~365). I am not really surprised the board is getting a little lax in its old age since I have REALLY put the hurt on it for over a year now :D

crime: Is there marketing involved? I am sure. These could SO EASILY be "DDR2-1066 CAS4" sticks and you know what? They'd be the same sticks and cost just as much labelled that way ;) With AM2 and Conroe chipsets "officially supporting" DDR2-800, I am nowhere near surprised they opted to layout the chips and target CAS3 800 instead. Believe it or not there are people who build systems that don't OC them. I find hard to believe sometimes too, but they are out there, LOL. CAS3 800 is the perfect match for a default AM2 and these things will be downright NASTY on Conroe. Stock Conroe 2:1 DDR2-1066 @ 4-4-3-x or 400-450FSB OC @ 1:1 3-(3|4)-3-x. OMG, I can hear "Sandra" screaming already :D

crimedog said:
what is with the cas obsession recently?

I don't think it's anything recent ;) To a degree you may be right on an Intel platform. Sierrabound ran some tests with this ram on Aopen/Yonah at both 3-3-3 and 4-4-4 and didn't see much of a difference in PI performance and I trust his benching 100%. But thats only one test ;) I think lower Cas will make a bigger impact on AM2 as Ross already alluded, and we have yet to really see any difinitive tests on Conroe. At least I havn't. These are up there price wise but as with anything you pay for the stuff that goes the fastest.

Maybe you need to freeze that NB again Ross ;)

That might be the very last straw, LOL. I don't want to get any more DI before Conroe (or The Challenge ;)). Like I mentioned in the 6.75GHz thread, it will clock like crazy, but anything over ~415FSB and the PLL just totally wigs out and everything benches like garbage.

I am giving some consideration to dropping the 631 in though. It will hit 395FSB on the SS no problem (would've been 410 when my board was a "newb" ;)). With 390-395FSB, 1:1 and 3-3-2, that should rip. 5:4 would give it ~DDR2-990, but there's no way the board would run CAS3 at that FSB if it's already in trouble at 365...I definitely would need to freeze the NB for that.

LOL, I wish. Could you imagine one at 6GHz though? OMG :D

I will be messing around with them some more later on...maybe on the 631 instead?

speed, I am with you on that for sure. I can't believe 2GB performs like this. I think I've been running 2.55-2.65V on 1GB of fatbodies for so long, what impresses me the most is what these do at 2.1-2.2V...and of course, the last thing across my mind is "...and it's 2GB" :)

DDR2-800 3-3-2 @ 2.2V, I mean come on! ...and it's 2GB, LOL.

Back