• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Merom in Acer 5672 (Pics Inside)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sucka

Got myself a Merom T7200 Core Duo 2 today. With the latest BIOS update it just dropped right in. Install went perfectly smoothly, nothing different than when i installed my T2600/T2500. (Thanks Gautam).

Initial impressions: WOW! This thing is quick. Coming from a 2.16GHz Yonah despite the 166MHz less on this CPU it is still noticably faster than the Yonah. Everything is buttery smooth so far. Still testing, but easily 10-20% faster than Yonah clock for clock. Really isn't even comparable in certain applications/benchmarks.

Heat: Seems to put off some more heat. I added some AS5 and checked contact to reconfirm, and still heat is slightly higher with Merom. At idle about 5-8C higher and about 10C higher at load. Lets just hope it's because this is an early sample, but last thing these laptops need is more heat. The actual laptop itself doesn't feel any hotter, but CPU temps are reported higher.

And now for a few pics :D

The chip itself.

merom002.jpg

Next to Yonah.

merom005.jpg

In the socket with AS5.

as5.jpg

CPU-Z for confirmation.

cpu-2000.jpg

nice :D what are the voltage options for the chip? does it undervolt nicely at stock speeds?

Vrykyl said:
nice :D what are the voltage options for the chip? does it undervolt nicely at stock speeds?

Stock voltage was 1.37 i think. I undervolted it a tad for testing, will try and go lower if i can. Didn't even test the auto undervolting with power schemes yet, but i will in the days to come.

Glad you're enjoying it. Time for an avatar change. :D

This is the mobile version of the Conroe, just to make it clear...the future is now in Sucka's lappy. :attn:

I didn't realize that the innards of the laptops were so intricate. What's up with that four-hole mounting system? Is the cooler built into the case or is it seperate?

The core is aggressively redesigned compared to Yonah, so I guess the heat is no surprise. :-/ Can't seem to find any published data on the Merom's power characteristics but I guess that's to be expected at this point in time :D. The heat output of both is tiny so power consumption shouldn't suffer much in the grand scheme of things, but I guess higher temps are to be expected. This is probably why Intel seems to plan on continuing the Yonah line for ultra-low power needs.

I'm playing with undervolting right now. 1.10v = error, 1.116 = good so far. That's a pretty significant drop at stock, and should add some nice battery and drop heat :)

Here's what the heatsink looks like. It disipates heat for the NB and the graphics as well as the CPU, so it's no wonder it gets hotter than a mofo....

heatpipe.jpg

withoutpipe.jpg

Cheator said:
How does the battery fair compared to Core Duo 1?

Still on AC right now. Flying to Europe tomorrow, so i should have a pretty good idea soon ;)

i'm close to pulling the trigger on an e1505 in hopes of swapping in a merom, and will go for the core solo in favor of the super screen and pop one of these in anyway

where are these for sale? or who can i buy them from or where can i trade a testicle for one ?

Lionsault_100 said:
i'm close to pulling the trigger on an e1505 in hopes of swapping in a merom, and will go for the core solo in favor of the super screen and pop one of these in anyway

where are these for sale? or who can i buy them from or where can i trade a testicle for one ?

They're around on ebay and online forums. They aren't cheap though. I actually worked out a trade for this one and it works out well for both parties involved. Might be worth the wait just to save some money.

Lionsault_100 said:
what was the cash value in what you traded ? there are none on ebay

Sent you a PM, don't want to clutter the thread. If you have more questions feel free to ask via PM.

Kris said:
I wonder if they will drop into a dell E1505?

i got confirmation in like 3 locations that they will be droppable, hopefully dell has a bios update available asap.

Sucka is on vacation. (With the laptop :p) Hopefully he won't mind me posting these for him-

merompi.jpg

That's 25.50sec on a laptop. :cool:

3d05.jpg

3d06.jpg

Back