• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #27

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
This is the 27th in the series of T32 Spotlights!! I'll try my best to keep this Spotlight as regular post as possible as long as the nominations keep coming in!! So, keep sending me the nomination guys/gals!!!

For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD, or better yet, you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

Also, for any of the suggestions/questions/answers/etc. that you would like to see from other member, please PM me too!! :)

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

AlabamaCajun
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is ok if you don't know the specific date.
April 2005

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?
At this point nothing new but I have starter working on a game> I'm not as active in the forums at this time but my rigs are still folding for 32

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
EOC

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city' would suffice)
Southeast, Alabama

How did you initially hear about F@H?
Harlam357 gave me the link to ocforums when we were discussing OCing my P4. I then was invited to Team 32 by THF. I was not new to DC and I had heard about F@H. I decided to let some new Athlons I bought for Linux do the folding. Then the bug hit...borg..build...etc.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
Science is in my blood and cancer is in the family. My mother is currenly undergoing treatment for cancer which spread but tested as non-melignant. It's also a sub hobby and a geek sport for when it's not seasonable for golf.

What do you do for a living?
Develop software applications for crafters and I'm also a full-timer for a large manufacturing company developing a sales program that prices and renders the users input in a 3D environment.

What do you do for fun?
Computer gaming, strategy games like Civilization, SimCity. Golf when the weather is right. I also design and program with micro- controllers. Micro Controllers are what runs your DVR/VCR, microwave, auto, they are the little cousins of the beast box that is sitting next to you.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
Photography with my wife of 17 years. We will both take our camaeras to gardens, welcome centers, the zoo and little forgotten towns just to fill up flash cards with images of anything that reflects photons.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
My dual core Opteron 170 putting out 100 to 1000 ppd both cores when those double gromys were hitting. This thing is cool, quiet and just cruches WUs like crazy. Later it will become my game devopment rig for Linux using Fedora Core 5.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they? (CPU, RAM)
They are in my sig. I've borged 2 at work but have temporarly borged boxes to test whether they are soild to use for work. I plan to build more of my own farm as time and budget permits.

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
Future goal is to release a smash hit Game or application to build a nice retirement porfolio.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
I'm origionally from Louisiana, hence the name AC. My family did survive the slought of Katrina with minor damage, their towns have now doubled in population. This has taxed all the government and highway systems thoughout the southern part of the state. It's a great place to visit and dine so I look forward to it coming back to life.
Mu future quest is to get 4 cores in one box possibly a dual 275 or 280 but I have to see what AMD will do with the AM2 socket. I build my first PC in 1978 from a board and parts kit. It was an ELF 1802 with graphics card in a whopping 128x96 B&W resolution. Later I upgraded to the Explorer 8085 and S100 system with text only display. My first real game rig was an Amiga 1000 with all the graphics and sound that put PCs to shame until 1989 when the 386's started hitting the market. I still have these machines sitting in my collection and most still work. I've since had a 486, P133, P3-800, P4-2.6. Harlam has since sold me on AMD now all my new rigs are Athlon or Opterons.

It's always good to know your competition :). Nice to know a bit more. My ears perked up when you mentioned micro-controllers. That's something that I'd love to get into (when I get a better grasp on electrical schematics and such). Perhaps I could pick your brain in the future, hmm? :). Take care.

- Jim

Glad to get to know you more AC :)

It is a pleasure folding with you and your great sense of humour on T32 :thup:

Fold On !

:beer: :beer:

... and another :beer: to Gary :thup:

Thanks for the comments team and thanks for the roasting LS.

The interview was done a few weeks back for my desire to drop bucks on 940pin DP hardware has waned having recently seen that Socket F is in the works with Quad cores and updated HT3. Also teh AM2 hardware on the way soon. I'll still wait and see what prices do during the summer.

yeah AC, if next time when you are here in MD, may be we could meet up?! :cool: (but NOT in my house tho as all of my home aquarium folders aren't password locked and I don't want "someone" sneak down the basement and change the user name while I went out to grab some beer!! :eek: :D )

tks for the interview bro!! :beer:

Sounds like a deal for me, eat crabs and crawfish and Borg a few fellow folders rigs :D. I just came from Eastport of Annapolis but we were booked with family every day we were up there. Maybe next year we can squeeze in some time.
Thanks Cuda, maybe oneday I might cross the border for some Ontarian cuizine!

Back