• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #24

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
This is the 24th in the series of T32 Spotlights!! I'll try my best to keep this Spotlight as regular post as possible as long as the nominations keep coming in!!

For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD, or better yet, you can PM me directly. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

Also, for any of the suggestions/questions/answers/etc. that you would like to see from other member, please PM me too!! :)

Now please give a warm welcome to..........................

Silver

Again, Thanks for taking the time to allow me to interview you.

When did you join the Team? Approximate date is ok if you don't know the specific date.
corrected: December of 2004

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow
teammembers to know about, what would it be?
Finished the ten motherboard case. Only seven of the 10 layers are occupied as of this time.

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=117482

You do not have to give specifics (address), but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town? (town is not required, but if not a town, a general direction and distance from the nearest 'big town/city' would suffice)
Dallas, Gorgia would be where we call home. Love the country yet only about 30 minutes NW of Atlanta.

How did you initially hear about F@H?
I had heard about folding for years. Seems every good oc was accompanied by invitations to join the folding team. I did try it out a couple of times but got quickly discouraged. At that time I was benching vid cards
and was used to immediate gratification. Just t'aint so with folding both in points and in long term medical achievement.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
This is an excellent question. I would love to tell you that it was strictly based on moral high ground but at best that would be misleading.I will confess that I hope one day my children or their children will
benefit from the many hours and expense involved in "Dads" hobby. Having
benched vids and running some fast systems, I always found it disheartening when asked, "What do you do with all that power". I had never had a good response to that. I do now. In the beginning I let it run over night and found I had advanced a number of spots through the completion of one unit. I then set goals based on certain active members several spaces ahead of me. I then found another setup would be beneficial in accelerating advancement. I now run 8 setups. None of them are rockets as the money does not allow me to buy state of the art (though I still find I am way ahead on the power curve in regards to most people I know where I live and work). I do however run them as fast as I can (vmods included) based on budget vs point gain. Presently my rather meager attempts has added about 25Ghz of power completely run out of the home by yours truly. With one more dual core (165 and asrock or hang out for the conroe and check mobos, oc's, total cost?) the setup should push over the 1,000,000 annual mark and put me on the tail end of the top ten. Not bad on a budget with older technology. A hobby with personal as well as societal gratification, this is good.

What do you do for a living?
I'm not really sure. I am one of those people who does what needs doing. On one day I am a manager of a hotel, the next auditor for all properties, the next sent to repair a property that is out of hand (drugs,
prostitutes, etc) the following in South Carolina running a rehab crew and
the next week in Alabama taking care of employees with bad attitudes. I do what needs doing and am likely to be holding a different title at any
given time. I am part of management but not afraid to dig a ditch with the
employees. I want to see my employer get very wealthy and my integrity is
without question. I am part of the inner circle but not part of the
family. They owe me nothing and I owe them everything. I am David.

What you do for fun?
I like fishing for stripers (though work has not allowed much of that), I like making house upgrades, I like working on the computers, fairly
partial to my cigs and coffee. Most of all, I love taking care of my family. I love rolling around, thowing it in the air and just deeply breathing in the love of my wife and children. God has been good to me.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
Keeping an eye on Pik4chu and [Fold]. I knew I would get there and had to wait it out through the holidays. I do believe there is some dust on the horizon though ... and .... maybe .... it is them. Could it be?

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
My favorite? Hmmm, well it is not the plethora of Celly D's (4) that is for sure as they did not struggle with me from the beginning. The two
754's I like as I (to this day) hear how wrong they are but they continue to pump out roughly 420 points a day and nary miss a beat doing it. 2.5 to
2.6 ghz on a 754 is still not a shabby thing. The xeons (D1s - 1.6) that were a budget purchase on a pc-dl with vmods (done by me), well they were
the first of the duals for me. How can I not like them? We struggled
together and finally got folding 24/7 stable at 3.2ghz (what a job that was, did not want to do 3.2 stable on air) and produce 600 points a day, day after day after day. Then there is the lone P4. Bought new (2.8Ghz) then put on water, then put on tec then put on dual tecs on the long forgotten verticle block. Now it has folded the last year at 3.2 to the present 3.5ghz on air. (BTW, all systems are on air as air has come a long ways from the days of yore). The xeons, P4 and the two 754's all are special to me but the first folder the 754 3000+ (at 2.4 to 2.6Ghz for the last two years?) probably holds the most special spot.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they?
(CPU, RAM)
One work celly at 2.6 or so. No biggy but none the less.....

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your
life?
First goal is to get the cc paid off in preperation for the last three spots in the case to be filled with my first three dual cores. Have to be
cheap though and fast running. Nice thing about this folding is that I can
get good deals that produce well on proven equipment. Heck even the vmods
are well researched.
Take my children to Six Flags. They missed it last year (even though they
earned free one day passes from school) as finances would not allow it.
They do not think I owe it to them but I feel the weight of a father who
did not make the annual pilgrimage and let them down. Won't happen again
this year, god willing.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
Have fun, above all have fun. Keep you integrity, no one can take that from you, you have to give it away. Always dream, it gives you a future. Know what truly is worth cherishing and forsaking all else, hold onto that with your very soul.

EDITOR: I've dig up your old thread about your home built 10 layer folding case in case someone had missed your awesome work!!
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=436421&highlight=folding+layer+case

Last edited:
I'll have to first to say, nice to meet you Silver and your 10 LAYERS case is truly an awesome work!!!!
foldon.gif

Great to meet you and yes that 10 layer is definitly a ToWeR of PoWeR and nice looking to boot. And yes the kids will want to ride Goliath, people here are already making plans.

As always, another awewsome interview! Great to meet you silver! :drool: That's an awesome build and you're putting out some very impressive pointage.

TollhouseFrank said:
nice tower-of-power!

OH yeah... the cigs man... if you get off those... you'll save enough money in year for a nice setup... :D

No easy one that is. :) Wife smokes as well soooooooo $50 a week x 52 weeks = $2600. Seeing as how I run FAH in a competative fashion andddddd headless on air......That would equal what, five Conroe setups (ram, cpu and mobo)? Delete the Celly D's and the p4 for a substantial increase in points and an annual electric savings that would allow for one more Conroe.....Six Conroes in a year.

Back to "no easy one that is". :cry:

Great interview Silver (and Gary) :thup:

We have so many things in common :)

Your tower and our discussions around it have seeded many thoughts here ... especially the current geothermal cooling one. :thup:

I am glad to learn more about you, and very happy to be folding alongside you on T32 :) :)

Cheers

:beer: :beer:

There are some great guys here and a true overclocking site worthy of the name. It is my honor to be in the company of so many fine people.

Team 32 !!

WOW! Nice folding Tower! When time permits I am going to undertake a similar project... and I have many great works, such as yours, to draw on for inspiration. :thup:

Great to meet you Silver!
wtf0yk.gif

It's great to get to know you better, Silver. It's also nice to know that there are others like me that do the greatest majority of their folding with machines they've paid for and maintain and run themselves. I know that you, Oric, pscout, ihrsetrdr and I all are pretty much are at dead ends borging-wise, so we have to do it the hard way; pay for it. :eek: :D

Fold on, Bro! :attn:

Last edited:
It's really great to know more about you. :thup:

-Just an FYI to everyone else - Silver was is my "Mentor" & helped
me get Folding quick & easy !!

Silver ROCKS !!

:attn:

Back