• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

V-Mod on nVidia GeForce FX5500 128mb 128bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
it would be amazing if someone knew how to, but i dont think you can. i have the same one, but mine is 256. i have looked everywhere for one. i dont think anyone has done it yet. i think its just to old of a card.

pretty sure they only did volt mods ont he FX5700 series, as it was the only card worth it.

with the 2 hours you'd waste looking after still reading this post, the 2 additional hours thinking about it, and the one more hour considering buying the board specs and figuring it out urself.

get a job and make $50 towards a card that's worth a shyte.

jigga

hmmmm, buy property insurance ;) If you have more money then you know what to do with, why do you have an fx5900 HAHAHAHA!!!!

nicspits said:
jigga

hmmmm, buy property insurance ;) If you have more money then you know what to do with, why do you have an fx5900 HAHAHAHA!!!!

Because PCs are a hobby and I don't throw all my money into them. And it's extremely rude of you to tell someone not to volt mod and get a job. You know nothing of their circumstances, so don't reply to posts when you have nothing constructive to say.

jiggamanjb - so sorry to offend you (sarcasm)

If you really read my time breakdown, you'd see i was trying to point out to him that it's waste of time. How many people do you see posting about overclocking their thunderbirds.... no one cuz theyre old and if they mowed a lawn they could get an XP Barton.

If someone told me not to waste my time, that i usually consider valuable, I'd consider it and not think it unconstructive, perhaps more constructive then telling me how to do what I was considering.

A good example would be a $50 heatsink vs a watercooling setup on an Athlon 64 Winchester processor. Would you like to spend another $150, hours of setting it up for quiet and maybe 100 more mhz..... Get an opteron they'd say. ya follow.

nicspits- i completely understand what your trying to say bro, but what you have to understand is that im so broke that i make bums on the strret look like Bill Gates. lol. also, the way i see it is some time in the far future ill get a system thats worth v-moding. so it would be nice to practice doing it now, insted of screwing someing up that cost me an arm and a leg.

jiggamanjb- i have tryed that program, the only thing it lets you do is change the mem. and the core.

If you really read my time breakdown, you'd see i was trying to point out to him that it's waste of time. How many people do you see posting about overclocking their thunderbirds.... no one cuz theyre old and if they mowed a lawn they could get an XP Barton.

Your definition of a waste of time may be very different that someone else's. If I want to OC my old 450Mhz AMD just for fun then I expect someone to help or share there experience, not tell me to go buy a AMD64. I you don't have anything to post on a topic useful then don't.

If someone told me not to waste my time, that i usually consider valuable, I'd consider it and not think it unconstructive, perhaps more constructive then telling me how to do what I was considering.

I've considered everything you've said, and I still find it very invaluable.

A good example would be a $50 heatsink vs a watercooling setup on an Athlon 64 Winchester processor. Would you like to spend another $150, hours of setting it up for quiet and maybe 100 more mhz..... Get an opteron they'd say. ya follow.

This is a forum for OCing and modding, and you are telling everyone to stop that. That makes absoulty no sense. I think you are in the wrong place. Go to the Dell forums.

kidkouklo-try VR-Zone Hardware Forum or xtremeforums, they may have some posts on it or may be able to take a look at your card and tell you what to do. They helped me OC my MX440 not too long ago. I'm sure it was a waste of time ( sarcasm ) but it was fun and my server is a little more spunky now.

thanks for the help jiggamanjb. ill try VR-Zone. some time back i remember reading a post on xtremeforums about some guy that wanted to v-mod his fx 5500 and someone gave almost the same response as nicspits. i hope vr-zone can help, but im not holding my breath. lol.

Server is more spunky after OCing your MX440, thats like saying I got 10 more horsepower out of my engine because I changed the brand of tires. ARE YOU ALL MAD, can you not see that all you're doing is pandering to the impish psychological benefits of accomplishing absolutely nothing! This isn't a "I'm climbing this mountain because it's there!" thing, this is a, I have nothing better to do but rather than spend my time improving, working, or learning, I'm going to sit on my ace with my thumb up it.

If I thought my computer got faster everytime I refilled my reservoir, I'd go buy 10 gallons of water... you don't watercool do you? Waste your time reading, going for walks, spending time with people, things that aren't real wastes for cryin out loud, don't poor yourself into a fruitless project: THERE IS MORE TO LIFE!!!! At least when I vmodded my x800, I turned it into a X850 XT PE++ and was able to enjoy gaming more with higher AA and AF. What is this going to do for you?

all of us here are aware that the FX core is one of the hottest least stable cores out there are aren't we? You know you'll need to be at least watercooling that thing to show any improvement with more voltage? Have you thought about the cost of a pump, tubing, radiator, fans, etc. Or are you just looking to kill your card so your mom will let you buy a more expensive one.

"hey guys, lets go volt mod my Audigy 2 Platinum! Lets ride a unicycle down a hill, Anyone know if I can get over 2v to my agp? Look what I can do, I've incinerated my hardware, weeeee!"

for some reason i'm thinking of the post about a guy who couldnt figure out why his computer wouldnt post..... that's right, he never put a heatsink on the prescott. "But it was only for 15 seconds, MAX! I swear!"

I guess they're right about experience\wisdom being wasted on the old, after all, it is all the noobs who are too lazy to learn what they have or dont have or can and can't do that end up going, "So my CPU may be fried, but why won't my DVD drive open?!"

Have fun with your suicide mission, see you at best buy in a few days.

Last edited:
nicspits said:
have nothing better to do but rather than spend my time improving, working, or learning,

Waste your time reading, going for walks, spending time with people, things that aren't real wastes for cryin out loud, don't poor yourself into a fruitless project: THERE IS MORE TO LIFE!!!!

all true, that is why OCing and modding is a hobby. I don't think any mods have taken more than 15min of my day. It only takes a few min to solder a piece of wire and a VR.

I can't believe that you are still blind to the fact that you are on a OCing and modding forum and I feel sorry for you.

First Post
EdwardTobia Hey guys is there such a voltmod for the nVidia GeForce FX5500 128mb 128bit?

Thanks

final post
kidkouklo ok i just asked on the vr-zone forums. so if anyone helps ill then post it on here.
Today 02:33 PM
kidkouklo thanks for the help jiggamanjb. ill try VR-Zone. some time back i remember reading a post on xtremeforums about some guy that wanted to v-mod his fx 5500 and someone gave almost the same response as nicspits. i hope vr-zone can help, but im not holding my breath. lol.

Maybe you missed this through-out your ramblings, but this is the meaing of this site. Question asked, Answer to the question given. Not "you should do this" and "what you are doing is stupid" .

read my sig, i think i'm familiar with the meaning of the site.

While your argument is so nice and ideological, it's highly impractical. You're saying that just because we can tell the guy how to make something slightly better that we should even though it's definately not the right course of action.

You can relate this to the Ferrari Salesman selling an old weak man the Evo when he should be buying a Sedan. He's going to kill himself or others with a ferrari, it's not the right car for him, if he really wants a good and healthy driving experience, get a camry, he can handle it.

an FX5500 cannot handle a volt mod without more money towards cooling then a vastly better card costs: does a driver come with that Ferrari you psycho? shouts the old man.

Sorry but I don't take the liberty of telling a guy that he should be able to get 2.4ghz out of a nice athlon XP barton processor with stock cooling just by upping the voltage. I tell him, get an athlon 64 with a $50 heatsink (all together 160) and get your equivalent of 3.2ghz or > you'll need to go high end water cooilng, get a big pump, a waterchiller, a radiator, $300 and you'll hit 2.5ghz.

You see what I'm saying? just in case, i'll make it simpler. I'm in RI, I want to get to WA, I ask a friend how, he's from Texas: he says well first you'll need to fly to Houston because they have flights to WA and that'll get you there.

Then I have a friend who's from WA, he tells me that I can fly direct from Logan airport or stop in Chicago if I leave from RI. Which friend should I follow.

In this guys case, being so broke, he obviously can't afford replacement parts should he fry his stuff. So we're going to take some pictures of chips and tell him what to solder..... Unless he wants to spend again as much as the card is worth on SMD grabbers, variable resistors, a multimeter, a soldering iron, solder, etc. WTF are we thinking?

Dude, post your first 100 posts, go to the classifieds, use your credit card, by a 9800 for 75 bucks, go to ebay, sell your 5500 for 40 bucks and i'm sure somewhere you can find the 35 bucks.

Remember, the guy that originally started this thread had a kick *** system with a pos gcard: if he's at all a gamer, that's rediculous

nicspits said:
read my sig, i think i'm familiar with the meaning of the site.

While your argument is so nice and ideological, it's highly impractical. You're saying that just because we can tell the guy how to make something slightly better that we should even though it's definately not the right course of action.

You can relate this to the Ferrari Salesman selling an old weak man the Evo when he should be buying a Sedan. He's going to kill himself or others with a ferrari, it's not the right car for him, if he really wants a good and healthy driving experience, get a camry, he can handle it.

an FX5500 cannot handle a volt mod without more money towards cooling then a vastly better card costs: does a driver come with that Ferrari you psycho? shouts the old man.

Sorry but I don't take the liberty of telling a guy that he should be able to get 2.4ghz out of a nice athlon XP barton processor with stock cooling just by upping the voltage. I tell him, get an athlon 64 with a $50 heatsink (all together 160) and get your equivalent of 3.2ghz or > you'll need to go high end water cooilng, get a big pump, a waterchiller, a radiator, $300 and you'll hit 2.5ghz.

You see what I'm saying? just in case, i'll make it simpler. I'm in RI, I want to get to WA, I ask a friend how, he's from Texas: he says well first you'll need to fly to Houston because they have flights to WA and that'll get you there.

Then I have a friend who's from WA, he tells me that I can fly direct from Logan airport or stop in Chicago if I leave from RI. Which friend should I follow.

In this guys case, being so broke, he obviously can't afford replacement parts should he fry his stuff. So we're going to take some pictures of chips and tell him what to solder..... Unless he wants to spend again as much as the card is worth on SMD grabbers, variable resistors, a multimeter, a soldering iron, solder, etc. WTF are we thinking?

Dude, post your first 100 posts, go to the classifieds, use your credit card, by a 9800 for 75 bucks, go to ebay, sell your 5500 for 40 bucks and i'm sure somewhere you can find the 35 bucks.

Remember, the guy that originally started this thread had a kick *** system with a pos gcard: if he's at all a gamer, that's rediculous

Everything you have stated there is 100% true and good advice. I can't argue with a thing on any of it.

nicspits- i think what jiggamanjb and i are trying to say is, if MY dumb $@# wants to try and volt mod the card, and somthing happens to it, then its my own fault. wow who knew that asking for some help volting would get a guys head bit off.

i wanted to vmod my 5500 while it was still around. should i have bought a better card instead? whats it cost to dril la coupe holes in an old heatsink and screw it on for cooling? then spending $10 on a VR and soldering iron, and doingthe vmod and hey, $10 for a performance gain and a learning experience. no, you have to go spend $50+ on a new card instead. use a credit card to do so, and create yourself some debt. you'll come up with a way to pay it off when the time comes. I say voltmod the card, and i'd love to help you do it.

not answering someones question and telling them that they should change the problem instead of solving the problem just seems stupid to me.

nicspits, why do you bother water cooling and volt modding when you could buy faster stuff? or is there an utter lack of consistant logic? i feel dirty for sinking this low, but i figured id pop in and let my opinion free.

kidkouklo, you could start by looking up datasheets for every random chip on the card till you find somethin about a voltage regulator (can skip obvious ramchips and such) basically all i know to suggest without having nice pics.

you should be able to, I volt modded my 5200. You need to find the PWM controller that controlls the switching frequency on the regulator, after that download a data sheet and look for the pins that test the voltages for accuracy. Solder the whiper of a 20k 25 turn pot (or similar) to it and one end to ground. Post a picture of both sides of your card Ill see if I can spot the PWM controller.

DCP02157.jpg
You see the chip in the top corner of my card, thats the PWM controller on my 5200. My PWM chip was an ISL6529.

Back