• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yes Ati released Catalyst 6.4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well they blue screen my machine. I'm guessing they don't like ATI tool. Amazing how I've literally never had a problem with nvidia drivers but I've had problems with ATI drivers with every single ****ing ati card I've ever owned, all the way back to the radeon 64 MiB VIVO. At least the 6.3 WHQL's work. It's like hmm, do I uninstall ati tool and see if 6.4 works or do I just keep using 6.3. I already wasted 35 ****ing minutes rebooting and cleaning and rebooting and simultaneously scratching my ****ing head and *** after the screen turned green. It was a green screen of death, no ****. ati_dvag.dll

Never had a problem with ATi cards or drivers... am I weird?

Had a problem with nVidia drivers and black screen trying to load oblivion with their latest drivers, had to downgrade.

SuperFarStucker said:
Well they blue screen my machine. I'm guessing they don't like ATI tool. Amazing how I've literally never had a problem with nvidia drivers but I've had problems with ATI drivers with every single ****ing ati card I've ever owned, all the way back to the radeon 64 MiB VIVO. At least the 6.3 WHQL's work. It's like hmm, do I uninstall ati tool and see if 6.4 works or do I just keep using 6.3. I already wasted 35 ****ing minutes rebooting and cleaning and rebooting and simultaneously scratching my ****ing head and *** after the screen turned green. It was a green screen of death, no ****. ati_dvag.dll

I had problems with the clockswitching after installing 6.4, went back to 6.3 and works fine again.

you guys have scared me off from downloading 6.4 :p i'm gonna try out omega 6.3 and see if i notice any improvements compared to the ati 6.3's i'm using

Cobalt said:
No chuck patch included though...

Man that sucks :( If it was included I'd be intrested guess I'll hold off til they do another update.

What I want to know, is why in the world do the Catalyst drivers require a freaking Microsoft frame.

Really, have they ever heard of making something as simple and efficenct as possble?

It is true you can install the driver without CCC but it makes the whole thing fairly worthless as you cannot adjust anything on your videocard without futzing around with registry entries or using ati tray tool, which does not have all the settings CCC has (but it has some CCC doesn't as well).

I got the drivers to install without crashing my machine by wiping everything a 3rd time and installing just 6.4 (no ATT). battlefield 2 works, 3dmark06 HDR/SM3 work/aquamark3 works. oblivion: NOPE.

Here is a screenshot of what it looks like. These are the stock 3d clocks (I don't even have ati tool installed) and default driver settings oblivion ini file. I had the same problem with the chuck patch and reinstalling oblivion did not help.

I created a support ticket although I highly doubt they will have anything useful to say. Although I'm certain they will tell me to do all the things I explicitly stated I had already tried in the support ticket message. gah.

obld2yl.th.png

http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8899/obld2yl.png

you can't make stuff like that up. Indoors the game works fine. Outdoors it dies, even with HDR/bloom off and all the LOD mods uninstalled. never seen anything like it

Why isn't the ATI driver page working for me? It takes me to

"Knowledge Base

No Results Found - 640"

This happens in Firefox and IE?

Nevermind, I had to sign out for some reason?

OK Cat 6.4 is really messed up for some reason or another. My problems started when XP hung during the "shutting down" phase after the initial install. I could run 3d06 fine...even a nice bump in performance from 5800s to 5900s. But it would not run BF2. I get artifacting with a odd colored screen when in is suppose to be the XP bootup screen (which I never modified). After uninstalling 6.4 I have no more artifacting and that black/white screen during bootup.

I am getting a lot of "flashes" across text within popup screens on the desktop like windows task manager, etc. Cat 6.4 renders ATI TOOL useless for the x1900xtx. It will no longer close the CCC services when your start ATI TOOL and when you try to run a game all I got was artifacts. BF2 artifacted like crazy at the menu screen. Wired, 3d06 ran flawless and I got a boost from 5800x to 5900s wired, very berry wired. Try Cat 6.4 at your own risk...

Last edited:
ColtIce said:
installed the drivers and WDM only as I use ATI Tray tools.I've tried NFS:MW,CS:S,Oblivion,UT2004,and F.E.A.R. and they work fine for me :shrug:

I have a x1900xtx...and having major jaw droping, name calling, :bang head , :argue: , :burn: :burn: :mad: :( problems

I've never had any problems with Ati drivers. Just make sure you completely get rid of the old ones before you install the new ones. And ditch CCC as well.

dan

Back