• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #19

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
This is the 19th in the series of T32 Spotlights! I'll continue to interview members when given a chance. The interviews will appear in a spotlight every now and then as long as the nominations keep coming in! For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

**ps... this is another 'old' interview, so some info could be off/wrong**

He's a strange one, wot? Lives on the other side of the pond and in all of our haziest dreams about british biscuits...... A good man to know, if a bit busy with his education, and an awesome mod.....

David

When did you join the Team?
Ohh.... I have no idea. Sometime in '01 I think.... it was still FaH v1 then, when every work unit was only worth 1 (yes 1!) point.

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?
Don't leave work till the last minute. I have to work my *** off now to keep up :-\

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=148259

You do not have to give specifics but what State do you live in, and if you don't mind telling, what town?
I stay in southern Scotland, thats the odd shaped blob above the bigger blob called 'England'. It's part of the UK.

How did you initially hear about F@H?
The FaH team were, and still are, a fantastic bunch of folks and everyone seemed to be getting into it at that time. So I jumped on the bandwagon, being a bit of a forum newb at the time too.

After starting, why do you continue to Fold?
It doesn't cost me anything to fold and it goes to a good cause. The FaH team are also very helpful, friendly, and the team is currently 3rd in the world.

What do you do for a living?
When I'm not eating, sleeping or on the internet, I go and blow stuff up at the Chemistry department at Edinburgh University or sell electrical goods for a large company in the UK.

What do you do for fun?
Music, forums, IRC, pottering about with Linux, a bit of gaming, etc

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?
Sleep is good, I love my bed ;)

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?
My main rig is a dual XP rig with a gig of ram, a Ti4200 AGP card and a few large hard disks. It's the most powerful rig I own (the others being a dual P3/850 SFF server and an XP-M Lappy) and the only one I can game on. It does everything I need it to and the dual XPs and plenty of RAM means its nice and smooth for multitasking.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they?
Just the three rigs mentioned above, although planning to borg the machines at work (which it is my job to maintain anyways :p).

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?
I want to get my degree in Chemistry, maybe do further research and get a PhD and then either continue in an academic role or work in industry. I'd like to visit Europe and the US sometime though. A nobel prize would be the ultimate aim, I guess, or enough money for a folding farm to put team 32 back on top!

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?
I guess I can be summed up as a typical nerdy person who is fascinated with science and how things work, who loves a bit of friendly competition and enjoys the company of like-minded individuals :p.

Nice to meet you some more! :)

Scotland is a beatiful place ... my sister lives in Edinburgh with her Scottish hub and kids ... i was there 25 years ago ... time to go back. In fact my middle name is spawned from Gretna Green, and my family tree on my mothers side goes back through Killdrummy. Who knows, maybe we are related! :eek:

Since I confused all my attempts at picking a scottish beer last time, you need to tell us your favourite :beer: :beer:

It also seems to me that you are due to wear a community selected avatar ... did we not achieve at least one of your contest goals back in January?

Fold on and mod on!

:beer: :beer:

ihrsetrdr said:
Nice to meet you David....Slàinte mhòr agad!

:)

not sure what that means but i sure would like to hear a .wav of you or David speaking it :D

pscout said:
not sure what that means but i sure would like to hear a .wav of you or David speaking it :D

Slàinte mhòr agad
means "great health to you"! I don't have any ancestral ties nor any expertise in the culture / traditions or languages of the region, but do find all quite fascinating.

Yes, I'd like to hear Davids rendition in an attached .wav file too!

;)

David is one of our nicest green meanies :D

It's time he upgraded to dual Xeons :p

BTW my family line 'Hanna' is originally from SW Scotland near Sorbie IIRC. We're lowland Scots who had a tower located in the middle of swampland for protection. (Our's not their's, from the POed towns people whom we regularly annoyed)

Last edited:
The closest I can trace my family to is a group from County Cork in Ireland.... apparently the Count and Countess or something..... got ran out for a murder i think....

Back