• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

READ ME FIRST Before Overclocking Your X1k Card(s)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
Before you can overclock your X1000 card you MUST do the following otherwise whenever you use ATI tool your PC will lock-up.

Here is what you need to do...

Step 1, load msconfig:

step1.jpg

Disable services relating to "Overdrive"'s 2D/3D switch. With Overdrive disabled it will prevent you from overclocking in a thottled mode:

step2.jpg

Step 3, Disable additional applications relating to overdrive:

step3.jpg

Step 4, save and reboot:

step4.jpg

Now you will be able to overclock your x1k card flawlessly without any lockups!

Last edited:
Good stuff... can you edit it just so it shows dialogue box? I feel like I'm skydiving...

POWER STRIP

The quick solution for this system was Power Strip, without a problem it overclocked the X1600 pro from 500/800 to 600/900 which gave an 1100 point increase in 3dmark 03. The IQ with the new Ati cards is the best possible !!!

I STAND HUMBLED

PowerStrip works, yet when using your method correctly and the Ati tool
the overall results are far Superior, especially during benchmark testing.
The X1600pro develops heat issues and if you use oppainters methods for futuremark benchmarks the numbers jump up considerably. Researching all of the P4/X1600 scores shows some very humble results.
So thank you Sentential, I stand corrected.....

Stock X1000 series support

When you aquire a stock X1000 video card notice the cooling plate and its proper fit first. In most instances the ram chips are left half covered, and the cooling plate rocks in a such a way as to leave you in doubt about its proper seating. These stock cooling solutions must be replaced if you intend to play any video games at length. In an effort to get these cards on the shelf Ati has cut a few corners, so be warned its not your system giving you problems after installing a new X1000 card, the game only dumps when cards spike in most cases and never more true than during extended game play or benchmarking. For some of us with water cooling this was never an issue. On air you will need serious cooling. A heat pipe/fan combo , or the Zalman VF700, these cards respond instantly to any of thses solutions and if you need extra install a dual fan pci set-up. You could end up feeling a little ashamed, after all its a 500mhz core gpu, and as I look upon the Stock Ati cooler on the shelf ,,,"I know what I was thinkin, But What was I doin" !!! Dont let your excitement cloud your judgement. If you want the Maxium from your X1000 you need to have given some fore thought to VGA cooling.....

With my X1800 GTO (PowerColor) I have followed the instructions above but I still can't overclock with ATI Tool. In 'msnconfig', 'Start-up' blade, I only have one item related to ATI called 'cli' which you have left enabled. In the 'Services' blade I do have 'ATI Hotkey Poller' and 'ATI Smart' but even with those disabled ATI Tool locks up. And I do have the latest version of CCC.

Any ideas?

Anubis_386 said:
With my X1800 GTO (PowerColor) I have followed the instructions above but I still can't overclock with ATI Tool. In 'msnconfig', 'Start-up' blade, I only have one item related to ATI called 'cli' which you have left enabled. In the 'Services' blade I do have 'ATI Hotkey Poller' and 'ATI Smart' but even with those disabled ATI Tool locks up. And I do have the latest version of CCC.

Any ideas?

With my X1800XT I have the same issue as I have yet to overclock the card. I followed steps as well but I only have some of the info which is showing in his 2 screenshots, exactly as you do???

tcom5 said:
When you aquire a stock X1000 video card notice the cooling plate and its proper fit first. In most instances the ram chips are left half covered, and the cooling plate rocks in a such a way as to leave you in doubt about its proper seating. These stock cooling solutions must be replaced if you intend to play any video games at length. In an effort to get these cards on the shelf Ati has cut a few corners, so be warned its not your system giving you problems after installing a new X1000 card, the game only dumps when cards spike in most cases and never more true than during extended game play or benchmarking. For some of us with water cooling this was never an issue. On air you will need serious cooling. A heat pipe/fan combo , or the Zalman VF700, these cards respond instantly to any of thses solutions and if you need extra install a dual fan pci set-up. You could end up feeling a little ashamed, after all its a 500mhz core gpu, and as I look upon the Stock Ati cooler on the shelf ,,,"I know what I was thinkin, But What was I doin" !!! Dont let your excitement cloud your judgement. If you want the Maxium from your X1000 you need to have given some fore thought to VGA cooling.....

maybe i got lucky but i just picked up a sapphire x1800xt and it will do 690/800 with no issues whatsoever, even gaming for more than an hour. i have also looped rthdribl v1.2 - http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/ for hours with no issues...

Ive done all the steps also, But can only get my X1800Xl 512 up to 213 mem and ANY core raise will lock up ATI tool and cause a hard boot. Am i missing something? I mean this card should do a heck of alot more than 500/513!!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Harry

I as well have done the steps above, and my x1800gto system hangs with atitool and overdrive.

Anyone have any solutions to this prob? This sticky seems to be forgotten...

Since my last post, I did the things up top, and ive flashed my card to an XT according to the Flashing sticky for the Zipzoomfly X1800 flashing thread. card runs 100% stable at 700/700 WOOT! Been OC 27/7 with only 50% fan and fan set to rise with temp.

One thing i did find out is that those Prosesses need to be turned back on after a flash because DVD's wont play right at all. But after the flash your clocks wont change back anymore. also to the last guy to post, Use ATItool to adjust your voltages a bit im running 1.33v core 2.07 i think on memory voltages.

Harry

Images not showing up?

Sentential said:
Before you can overclock your X1000 card you MUST do the following otherwise whenever you use ATI tool your PC will lock-up.

Here is what you need to do...

Step 1, load msconfig:

step1.jpg

Disable services relating to "Overdrive"'s 2D/3D switch. With Overdrive disabled it will prevent you from overclocking in a thottled mode:

step2.jpg

Step 3, Disable additional applications relating to overdrive:

step3.jpg

Step 4, save and reboot:

step4.jpg

Now you will be able to overclock your x1k card flawlessly without any lockups!
The images above are not showing up???
Does this apply to my new Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB GDDR3 AGP ?

Back