• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

This is what I predict the next HDD tech to consit of (indepth)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FyreDaug

I know I have a thread already about hard drive technology. But Ive thought of a couple possible solutions.

What we will probably eventually move to would be something like current modern day spindle for storage but it would have ram built into it. HDD's are getting cheap and so is ram, its just a matter of time until someone makes something like this. This isnt something right around the corner, but lets say a common drive is a 250gb at this time. I see some sort of cheap ram to be manufactured that will offer transfer rates of atleast a gigabyte per second. Current modern pc3200 is 3.2gbs, so we're not asking much. They will start with 74gb drives, 74gb on the spinder and 74gb of this ram (74, just to pick on the raptor). I think drives would be about $200 to start and be able to walk all over the raptor.

How it will work: The ram will function as normal ram... well normal parity ram (because it will be used so often data is critical to not be messed up), it will get its power from the molex connector that goes into the HDD normally. The same molex connector will power the HDD assembly. And when you turn the system off, the ram is cleared.

On initial startup (during the post process even) the drive will start copying data from the spindle onto the HDD, probably a typical 7200rpm drive, or maybe 10000 by then is common and it will copy the entire hard drive (unless you specify in vista specifically that you dont want these files "cached" on startup. When files arent cached, they will be run from the spindle.
A table of contents of everything on the HDD will be stored in the ram, and it will know what files are cached and which arent, so if it were to access a non cached file, it would spin up the HDD again.

Oh yeah, thats another thing, the HDD will power itself down once its done copying everything to reduce noise/power consumption/wear and tear. It would be recommended to cache all files, and it will be selected by default.

Reading: Anytime a file is to be read it will get it directly from the ram, at a typical 1GB/s transfer rate.

Writing, anytime anything is written it is only written to the ram for speed. When you shut down, restart or on a designated time, the HDD will spin up and copy anything new over. It will know what is new and what isnt so it only copied files that were actually modified and not everything over again.

Also, it will continue copying files over while you are running the system. You can designate a priority for files to be copied over, thus the operating system and all drivers will be set to maximum by default, so during the post process almost your whole OS can be cached and it will actually load off the ram. Priority is a bigt function on it, I suppose it could also be where you select it to not cache. Priority from 0-100, 100 beign cached first regardless, and 0 being do not cache.

You will be required to have a battery backup on your system.

When you restart you can select the option to save cache files or not. Not saving, will restart the OS and not even spin up the drive again, so your restart time will be like <5seconds. And if you chose to save, it will spin the disc up and beging copying files BACK to the spindle during the post process and continue doing it until its done. This wont really have much effect on actual performance of the system so its recommended to always save whenever you can. Reason it wont degrade performance is because the HDD can only copy at <100MB/s and the ram is 10x faster than that. And at most times you wont be asking for 900MB/s or more from your hdd ram anyways.

I dunno, im a little buzzed today but Ive seriously been thinking of what the next hdd tech will be. I dont see why this would be so bad. Using less ram technology will decrease the cost of the chips, and we are only asking for so much bandwidth here anyways from the ram. But imagine system ram accessing your HDD and getting 1GB/s from it loading up a game. Games would load INSTANTLY.

Id pay for technology like this even if it was $450 for 74 gigs. Screw paying for higher clock speeds and faster memory, the HDD is clearly the bottleneck. 2gigs of pc3200 and a p4 3.2ghz will last a fairly long time still if this technology caught on. Any objections?

EDIT: Lets see, your pc3200 memory can have a bandwidth of 3.2GB/s, which is good for talking to the processor and stuff and it can run at its maximum bandwidth and DO 3.2GB/s, but when it needs to access the hdd it is limitd to say 50MB/s so lets say your processor is asking for 3.2GB of data, it will take ~1 minute for it to get that data from the HDD then 1 second to copy it over. So your looking at atleast a minute to access it (for whatever reason), now lets say the HDD only takes 3 seconds to get it there and only 1 second to transfer, thats a 56 second average increase in performance. Thats a 93% difference, equating to a %1600 increase in performance.

EDIT2: And use giant page files to save money on meory because you arent losing much for performance this way

Last edited:
Just a thought on a closely related topic, with perpendicular HDDs, since the magnets are more densely packed, can't you make physically smaller platters that rotate at the same speeds (or slower) and yet have the same seek times because the heads would have to cover a smaller area of platter.

I think that future hard drives won't be hard drives at all- just large RAM drives, no moving parts. Like a thumbdrive on steroids.

I look forward to that.

Awesome. I wonder if RAM disks will catchup with game and OS size. The ram disks are growing but also OS installation size, game disk size, and avg. disk usage for a file hog like me. Thanks, I think you just made me lose $145 this week. I'm gonna have to get one for my windows installation.

I think that future hard drives won't be hard drives at all- just large RAM drives, no moving parts. Like a thumbdrive on steroids.

Same here. Mechanical drives are so 90's, lol. I think the distant future, we will be using quantum storage devices. Just think, storage systems using atom placement to record data. I believe that's how I read it will be implemented. Also can't wait for fiber-optic cpu technology. No heat issues, unimaginable speeds. :drool:

HDDs are going solid state. NAND is just the first step. PAND is where we will see the first true fast solid state drives. PAND are several thousand times faster than current NAND and would put the speed just short of current ddr2 in access rates.

However its a good year or three off.

Another possibility is that the southbridge has it's own single channel memory controller and uses a bunch of regular RAM as cache for PATA/SATA/SCSI transfers, even the cheapest value DDR2 400 would be more than adequate.
Even if it was workable the HDD companies probably wouldn't like it because it would mean that there would be little point in buying large cache drives.
This would probably work with near future solid state disks too, because the slowest RAM is likely to remain quite a bit faster (bandwidth and latency) than the fastest solid state disk.

I cant believe anyone is cheering me for this idea, everyone ive talked to in person has thought its a great idea and is totally possible

It is a great idea but other similar suggestions have been doing the rounds for a while (Ed keeps going on about using some kind of fast flash memory as a buffer in future drives).
Only thing is why cache the entire HDD? that would require a huge amount of RAM, and if you have that much, why have the platters at all? why not just have a battery to keep the RAM powered up?

FyreDaug said:
I cant believe anyone is cheering me for this idea, everyone ive talked to in person has thought its a great idea and is totally possible

sorry to burst your bubble but people have been talking something similar to yours for years and that gigabyte thign is just one step closer

Well the problem you missed is that yes RAM might be cheap, but its still 150-200 for 2gb. Now if you want 74GB drives.... they get expensive.

Future HDD tech will move to solid state, that is for sure, however the storage capacity and price per GB will have to drop significantly. An upcoming technology is Holographic Storage, which stores data in 3D so they can get MUCH MUCH more data in even less space.

Some people would pay $450 for 74gb, the only problem is your price point is soo much less than what the cost would be.

Yes current ram is expensive, but something not quite as good as our current ram would be more than sufficient because it sure beats 50mb/s that you get off the spindle. Even SDRAM manu'd for cheap would work. Hell I dunno, anything is better than a rotating spindle

Also remember, we arent using the right terminology here, if the harddrive were infact made up of "ram" it wouldnt be ram, they would all be integrated memory chips. Not random access memory.

Had to bump this thread for some more thought

Won't this be just like when HDD's with 16MB cache came out? Basically, you're just increasing the cache. Whoop. More cache is better for sure but it's just a natural progression.

I predict OS's will be lisenced to ISP's of which your computer will do a network boot at 1000 or 10000 Mb/s. No more piracy and the same speed or faster than current HDD technology. Then of course you will save to the network drive at the ISP of which the amount of space will come with the plan like webhosting.

Integrated memory chips are RAM, if it were ROM it would not be written to, ie one way street.

Check out the MRAM thread, that technology allows for the long term stability of data without a battery backup or power at all for that matter.

Integrated memory chips are RAM, if it were ROM it would not be written to, ie one way street.

I have no idea what this is coming from, and what its supposed to mean for this thread.

Won't this be just like when HDD's with 16MB cache came out? Basically, you're just increasing the cache. Whoop. More cache is better for sure but it's just a natural progression.

I predict OS's will be lisenced to ISP's of which your computer will do a network boot at 1000 or 10000 Mb/s. No more piracy and the same speed or faster than current HDD technology. Then of course you will save to the network drive at the ISP of which the amount of space will come with the plan like webhosting.

Cachin the whole drive and shutting down drive vs caching 16mb and keeping the drive spinning.... yeah thats the same thing :ugh:

As for that idea, yeah that would be cool, but theres no way I would do that. Thats retarded though, using it like webhosting.

And how are you still going to get 10000 MB/s? SOMETHING needs to produce that kind of data access, where is it coming from??

seadave77 said:
...I predict OS's will be lisenced to ISP's of which your computer will do a network boot at 1000 or 10000 Mb/s. No more piracy and the same speed or faster than current HDD technology. Then of course you will save to the network drive at the ISP of which the amount of space will come with the plan like webhosting.

***Shudder***

God forbid! I can't imagine trusting my critical business and infrastructure data to the apethetic morons who pass as employees for the average ISP. They'll take my hard drive when they pull it from my cold, dead fingers...:cool:

Cachin the whole drive and shutting down drive vs caching 16mb and keeping the drive spinning.... yeah thats the same thing :ugh:

I didn't say it would be the same thing. I said it would be like the same thing. And it would be. Even today if the drive is not being accessed it stops spinning, if you have everything in cache you wouldn't access the disk so it would stop spinning. Go :ugh: yourself.

And how are you still going to get 10000 MB/s? SOMETHING needs to produce that kind of data access, where is it coming from??

I said 10000 Mb/s and it is already in the pipeline. And just to clarify, you're not going to get that speed out to the net, that speed is going to be only in the ISP's network.

***Shudder***

God forbid! I can't imagine trusting my critical business and infrastructure data to the apethetic morons who pass as employees for the average ISP. They'll take my hard drive when they pull it from my cold, dead fingers...

Don't worry hafa, it won't be in the hands of those morons. Your data will be in the hands of the morons who put in the lowest bid. I'm not for the idea myself but I stand by my prediction. Really, if it was done right it wouldn't be so bad. Because the ISP would have backups of everything and take care of the details. How many average PC users do you know who backup? I know none.

Back