• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Build/Mod Project: "MegaRig" (Pics included)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

The Goals of this Project Log: In words and pictures, to profile the creation of my first DIY computer of any note, which I am very proud of, affectionately known as "MegaRig".

- Commentary of the build progress/issues I ran into
- Commentary of the first part of the case mod
- Pictures of the system build start to finish
- Pictures of the first part of the case mod plan, some minor aspects of which I've altered
for the time being.

*With the help of a Christmas bonus from my employer and some Christmas gifts that were in the form of cold cash (and believe it or not) some money that came in the form of refunds for parts I rma'd for one reason or another...I have finally gotten my long-talked-about "MegaRig" project going.*

First, the new parts:
Pic01_NewBoard.jpg
Pic2_SSPSU.jpg
Pic03_AMDCPU.jpg
Pic04_GSKILLRAM.jpg
Pic05_NewGPU.jpg
Pic06_DFILP.jpg
Pic9_3700.jpg

System Build -

Feb 26, 2006 was the date it actually came into being. I was working on it on the 25th, and would have probably had the system going then, but I had a problem moving my hdd from the Intel system to the new AMD setup, and getting it to boot up. The DFI/A64 system just wouldn't boot windows.
Pic17_testfailure.jpg
But a quick (?) wipe of the hdd and a nice fresh reinstall of XP fixed that little problem.

At first, (on the 25th) I tried just taking the hdd out of my case - Intel P4 system still residing there at the time - and hooking it up to the DFI board. But it wouldn't boot, giving me a “Media Test Failure” message. I tried it again, and got the same message.
That's when I came in here and asked what I could do about it. As I thought, I was advised to do a wipe/reinstall. So, that night I ran the wipe with Killdisk and then took a break until the next day. It was late...

Not too long after waking up, I had ALL the drives out of my case and the new PSU hooked up to the new board so I could, hopefully, run the XP install.
Pic22_Whatamess.jpg

When I booted the system, with just one of my new RAM sticks installed in slot #1 for test purposes, I got a screen that suggested using 2 sticks in slots #2/#4 for dual channel operation, instead of the single channel mode I was apparently in.
Pic12_NewStuff.jpg

So I obliged the system, and plugged both sticks into the orange slots. After that, no problemo. Before I ran the install though, I went into GenieBIOS and ran Memtest86. I ran it for a full pass through, (which took about an hour) and the memory passed 100% with no errors @ the stock 200Mhz 2-3-2-5-1T settings, which was good.
Pic26_Memtest.jpg

The day before, I ran the windows version of memtest on my Intel system to test the sticks, and that went fine too. But I wanted to do it on again on the new board. When that was done, I started the XP setup. I put the Windows disc into the CD drive and got the setup screen. It was off to a good start, at least. To my relief, everything else about the setup went as it should, and then I was off and running.

Pic27_Setup.jpg
Pic28_XPinstall.jpg
Pic29_XPboot.jpg
Pic30_MegaRig.jpg

After the setup was completed, and I rebooted the system and was sure XP was doing what it should do, and had all chipset/video/etc drivers installed, I proceeded to take everything of the old hardware that was left in the case out, so the new hardware could move in. In this case, new hardware being the LanParty board, CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM and the good ole Big Typhoon, which, with a dab of AS5, replaced the stock AMD HSF that I had been using only to make sure everything would work.

Pic31_ReadyforBT.jpg
Pic32_DFIin.jpg
Pic10_AMDHSF.jpg

Of course, I made sure to clean off whatever cheap TIM there was on the CPU before installing BT. Along with the new hardware, the "old" 120G Maxtor, opticals and floppy get to stay, though the floppy eventually gets replaced with a black one that matches the case.

The BT did a good job of keeping my P4 cooler than most other things did and I liked the four screw retention. It seems to be doing fine on the 3700+, but I have to admit I'm not a fan of the two screw retention method that must be used. But, believe me, I made sure that BOTH screws on the retention bar were nutted down firmly. Before replacing the Maxtor, I fitted it with its new Zalman heatpipe cooler, which wasn't too difficult. I saw some reviews on Newegg where some people said they had trouble attaching the ground wire, but I didn't see any problem. It also has vibration damping, and I can barely hear the thing now. But because the cooler essentially makes the drive wider now, I had to move it upward to one of the 5.25" bays. So now, if I remove one of the bay covers, there is the Hard Drive for all to see. At least it looks cool now with the new thing on there.

Pic34_HDDcooler.jpg

Then I sort of sloppily redid the PSU wires and all the drive cables (aka, rats nest) just so I could put the rig back at my desk and start installing some software and benchmarks and stuff. Final wire management will come later.

Pic35_somanywires.jpg
Pic36_Wires1.jpg

I also wanted to go into BIOS and make any changes I wanted/needed. There are still some things in there I don't understand (and a few I've since been advised to never touch), but I looked over the things I do get, and made any necessary changes. I tried an overclock, but did it backward and ended up with a CPU speed of 800Mhz. Way down from 2.2Ghz stock speed. Oops. I didn't realize the multiplier was already set at the highest level (x11), and changed it to x4. I thought it started at x1 and went up from there. 200Mhz FSB x4....well, let's just say I was confused.

I still have not downloaded any firmware or a BIOS update, or run that many bench tests yet, but I can tell you what score I got in 3DMark05. I ran the test a first time, and just before it was going to give me my score, the program hit a glitch and it had to shut down. That irritated me a little bit. I ran the test again a little while later and that time, I got my score: 7,419 3D Marks on stock 470/1100 speed. That's almost twice the score I could get on my AGP 6800GT.
Pic65_1st3DMarkScore.jpg

I did not look at the CPU marks. I'll have to run it again and see what that number might be. Pre-Case-Mod, the CPU was running pretty cool on idle at 33-35°C, and due in part to the mod, which I will address later, it idles at 30-31°C, and will even dip to 29°C if I turn up the fans. Again, more on mods later. It loads @38°C, which I have seen as tested on “FarCry” and “Roller Coaster Tycoon 3”. And the GPU, pre-mod idled @46°C. Post-mod, it is running even cooler than it did at first @42°C idle, and as high as 57-61°C on loads tested with RCT3 and FarCry. FarCry definitely makes it run hotter. The PSU seems to dip a little bit on the main rails, but so far it has not seemed to matter much. I have not tried any OC's yet, but I may try to bump it up a Mhz or two, just to see what it's about. I also don't know if that would be the way I'd always run it, because TBH, I can't afford to replace stuff if I burn it out. I tried an OC - the right way this time - and I thought what I would get would be a 2.4Ghz OC (to go for the speed of the 4000+, which is the CPU I was going get originally). The system said "Nope! Not gon'do it!" So I had to go back and reset to default speed. I think I went too high. I'm gonna have to mess around with it and take smaller steps I guess. I ran Registry Mechanic, and it found about 60+ errors, so I got that cleaned up and all nice and shiny. I also had to do a defrag after installing FarCry, which apparently did a real number on the system.

Case Mod -

I began the first part of my case mod the weekend following the completion of the system build. March 4th…A Saturday… Day off…. Nice day…. Nice day to cut a hole in my case. Nice day to get a mild sunburn while I do it. Oh well…

So it begins with taking my case (which now weighs 42.5 pounds...it's gained a little, and may gain a bit more if I get the Zalman VF700-Cu) outside onto the deck and setting it on the table for near total disassembly. Since I am going to start with the blowhole mod, emptying the case seemed prudent.

Pic37_PreSurgery.jpg
Pic38_PreDisassemble.jpg
Pic39_Rigguts.jpg

I unhooked everything, removed the drives, board (with BT attached), and everything else except the front/rear case fans. I am replacing them anyway, so who cares if they get messed up? I place all the stuff under the table on a large cardboard box and cover it all with a big plastic trash bag for protection. I know leaving this stuff outside isn’t the best thing, but I don’t want the cats messing anything up either. I chose the lesser of two evils.

Pic40_Protect.jpg

Nice work man! I like the sky blue color on the ram heatspreader. show pics from afar so we can see the whole rig. show results from oc'ing asap!

Edit: you shoulda put the cats under the bag! j/k

I start by covering the top of the case with tape so I can mark all the needed holes for the 120mm UV fan that will - if I don't screw this up - reside there on a permanent basis.

Pic41_PreMod.jpg
Pic42_Topholemeasure.jpg

I also marked the panel for what I have planned for it, but I'm doing that at a later time, and you'll soon understand why. After checking the position of the fan to be sure it’s centered, and making the proper cut lines/hole marks, I pick up my Black and Decker version of a dremmel and pray (I literally did pray for success).
Pic43_Topholeplan.jpg
Pic45_PanelPlan.jpg
Pic46_Herewego.jpg

I put the tool, with drill bit in place over one of the screw hole marks, knowing that once I begin, there's no going back. Kind of like a tattoo, I guess.

Anyway, I fire up the drill and begin the first hole. It actually took longer than I thought it would just to drill a hole through, but it’s steel, so what else should I expect? I made it through, and went to the second screw mark, and so on, until there are now four holes to secure the fan with. But the carbide cutting bit is not as wide as the screws I’ll be using, so I have to use the tool to make the holes a tad bit bigger by making slow, swirling motions until I’m sure the screws will go through.

Now all I need to do is open up the hole for the fan. So I began in the center of the marked hole space, and worked my way toward the edge. In retrospect, I should have started closer to the edge than I did. Then, when I finally started getting closer to the edge line, I moved the tool (slowly) along the line until finally a circular piece of steel fell into the case. It took over two hours for this one hole, (about 2 ½ hours) but I made it through. I had to stop periodically to let the tool cool off a bit, plus the cutting was just slow and not always as smooth as I would've liked. The tool would jump out of the cut line sometimes or get kind of jerky. But I did get the hole cut out, and then it was just grinding the edges out a little farther toward the marked edges and using my fan grill as a guide to make sure that no metal could be seen through the grill. Well, I think I got pretty close. I don't see anything I shouldn't see. Because the grill isn’t a perfect circle on the inside, it gave me a little leeway for the hole itself. I admit, the hole itself isn’t perfectly round and smooth, but you can’t really tell anyway.

Pic47_Halfway.jpg
Pic48_Almostthere.jpg
Pic49_FinishHole.jpg
Pic50_FinishHole2.jpg

I should have done this before I did the top hole…but didn’t for some reason – I took the front panel off, not just so I could work on the front fans, but I wanted to try to fix the loose USB/FW port that is loose and just hangs in the front of the case. The clips that hold the small board in place are loose, and I tried to make it fit properly, but it still comes loose. I might have to go back in there with some superglue or something.

Then it is on to the front and rear fans. I wanted to replace the 80mm's with 92's. I was going to cut out the case grills, but I decided not to right now. I'd already done enough cutting for the day, and I'm not sure it'll make much difference. What I really wanted to do was put 2x 120mm fans in the back, and at one point I thought it would work, but there just isn’t enough room - it has to be 92’s. Anyway, I cheated a little bit on the installation. At least, at first. I screwed both the front fans in just by lining up a couple of screw holes with existing case holes, and made the screws tight against the case wall. I started to do the same thing with the rear fans, but then it became clear that I would have drill some holes for these. So, the rear fans I did not really cheat on.

Pic51_Fancheat.jpg
Pic52_Fancheat2.jpg
Pic53_Fancheat3.jpg
Pic54_Fancheat4.jpg

Now that I have the “new” case fans installed, and the top hole mod completed, I take everything inside for reassembly – because it’s getting dark outside by now. I am actually going to have to replace one of the rear fans, because I broke a wire lead by accident. I had two fans hooked together in the same header because I had put them in my “old” system once just to see how they’d look in there, and running them off one board lead. When I pulled the 7V wire out, the lead broke off. What can I say? Anyway, I start by attaching the top fan/grill to the case, which goes like you’d expect. I ordered some push pins, but went with screws. I decided screws looked better.

Pic55_Frominside.jpg
Pic56_Blowholeabove.jpg
Pic57_Tripleblade2.jpg
Pic58_Tripleblade.jpg
Pic59_CoolHuh.jpg

Then the PSU goes in and I separate the cables I’ll need from the ones I won’t need (like the SATA power lines…for now, and the extra PCIe line). The unneeded lines get neatly (?) tucked on top of the PSU to keep them out of the way.

Pic61_Finalwiremgt.jpg

Then the opticals go in, and I run into a small issue of the DVD drive not going into the case all the way. It’s because I wanted that drive to be in the top most bay (just because…), but it was hitting on the newly mounted fan. Fortunately, my CDRW is a little bit shorter, so I put that drive on top and the DVD below it, where ironically, it’s always been. The RW drive is still right on the fan and not quite flush with the outside edges of the drive bays, but no where near as bad as the other one would have been.

Then the new Windmill controller goes in, and I hook it up with the power line and all the fan lines, despite the lack of an instruction sheet. I guess it wasn’t as hard as it looked. I get all the fans hooked up, and in the case of the front fans which have separate power lines for the UV lights, had to find additional molexes. Then the board goes in and gets hooked up for power, and the video card.
Pic64_Windmill.jpg

Then all I need to do is wire management. I placed the power lines behind things and under and on top of things to keep the case as open as possible for good airflow, which I think I was able to achieve. Despite all the lines coming out of the PSU, if you look through the top hole, you can’t really see any of the wires, except the lines to the controller from the rear fans.
I also chose to use standard IDE ribbons for the opticals and hdd, because the ones the came with the board, while compact and colorful, really just get in the way. I have the new one for the floppy in there, but it doesn’t take up as much room, and I can hide most of it. And because of the placement of the opticals and hdd, using the newer cables and trying to hide them isn’t going to work.

When all this was said and done, I hooked the new “MegaRig” back up at my desk and fired it up. I already knew one fan was out, but apparently so was one of the front ones and the top one. The lights were on, but not the fans, plus the Windmill was yelling alarms all the time. And I hadn’t fully read the “manual” for the controller, so I couldn’t figure out how to make it do what it does (I’ve since fixed that issue). Plus, I noticed in SmartGaurdian that the chipset fan was not running at all and its temp was at 59°C. I restarted a couple of times, and thought I heard the fan come on then go off, but I can’t be sure. This, of course has me concerned. Well, by this point, I had worked on this portion of the project for almost 11 hours, so I decided to put it down until the next day.

Next day, I take it into the next room, go into the case and power it up (no monitor). I found that the top fan has a loose connection to its controller lead, and so does the front fan that was not working. I had to put the top fan onto another lead (it’s now fan #7 instead of #1) but the other one was just loose. So now, all available fans are running, lights and all, and the controller has stopped whining at me. I guess if a lead comes loose, the controller lets you know, plus the actual display shows you something is wrong.
Then onto the chipset fan – simple problem, there were a few molex wires caught between the fan and the video card, preventing it from spinning. Get the wires out of there and now the fan works fine, and the chipset now runs a decent 45°C with it’s fan set at a tolerable level.

So…there it is. “MegaRig” is now up and running, and so far seems to be stable, despite the dips on the PSU rails (+5V= 4.91V, +12V= 11.71V, +3.3V= 3.29V, +1.5V= 1.47V). I am going take time to run a few bench tests, and see what kind of numbers I get. The CPU is good @1.36V and the memory on 2.68V. I tried going into BIOS to change the voltage to 1.4V, but the voltage is still showing in BIOS and in windows @1.36V. Maybe I’m not doing it right. But other than the panel mod, getting some case lights later on, replacing the one fan and going back into the case and putting in the controller sensors for the hdd, CPU and board, and possibly getting a better, quieter cooling solution for the GPU (most likely Zalman VF700), I am done for the time being. Later, I plan to add a nice X-Fi sound card and at least one SATA drive…or two.
Some nice blue anodized screws for the back.
Pic63_Anodized.jpg

Pic62_Finalwiremgt2.jpg

Wow... nice work.

For future refernce, picking up a hole saw from home depot makes cutting fan holes simple. I only bought on hole bit... a 3" one for wood and metal, works for 80MM, but you can easily move up to a ~5" for a 120 :) It reduces hole cutting time to about... 2 minutes for metal cases, and 20-30 seconds for wood :)

Is you new cooling system running much cooler? Your temps seem really high especially since you are only running 2.2GHz? I realize coming from an intel you might think them low, but really they seem about 10-15C too high.

thedragon7786 said:
and this is your first mod?

Um...yes. This is the very first time I've ever done anything like this, be it the build itself or the mod. I built another rig a while back, but more of a bare bones thing. This is all custom by me :cool:

Neur0mancer said:
Wow... nice work.

For future refernce, picking up a hole saw from home depot makes cutting fan holes simple. I only bought on hole bit... a 3" one for wood and metal, works for 80MM, but you can easily move up to a ~5" for a 120 It reduces hole cutting time to about... 2 minutes for metal cases, and 20-30 seconds for wood

Is you new cooling system running much cooler? Your temps seem really high especially since you are only running 2.2GHz? I realize coming from an intel you might think them low, but really they seem about 10-15C too high.

Thank you. I thought about getting a hole saw, but for some reason I thought it might be too difficult to use and control. Not that the tool I have is easy to control, but it seemed like it would get the job done. I've been trying to think of a faster way that I could cut the panel, because I'm basically gonna cut most of it out.

As far as the temps, they are a few degrees cooler since I did the mod, but on average, the CPU hovers around 30°C, maybe 31°. If I turn up all the fans, it may dip to 29°. I am going to be putting two 120mm fans on the panel, so that may help. I have the overall cooling design set up for getting rid of as much heat as possible. In through the bottom front, out the back, out the top, in by the video card, and I haven't decided yet if the upper panel fan will blow in or out. Plus I am replacing one of the rear fans (92mm) so that will produce more airflow out the back.

You are right, I am used to much higher temps that I had on my Intel 3.2. I couldn't really get any lower than about 40-41°C or so. So getting down to 30° is a real treat. And the GPU is nice @42° as opposed to 50+ idle on my 6800GT.

Electron Chaser said:
Very nice!! especially for being your first mod. Well Done.

I have to admit that I went into the mod part almost as nervous as I'd be if I were going to get a tattoo...once begun, you can't go back. But I just went to it, and it was like, what will be will be and I just hoped for something that would at least be passable.

I just hope my panel turns out to be a passable mod.

Back