• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who says that two raptors arent better than one? Part 2

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
--This article is also published on the main OC home page here: http://www.overclockers.com/articles1297/index03.asp --

Who says that two Raptors arent better than one? PART 2.

Previously in part 1 of this article, I explained in a more general and non technical aspect that I had gained a very sizable performance increase when switching from one single raptor drive to two drives in Raid 0. This increase was notable in almost every aspect of PC usage. I ran some synthetic benchmarking tests including HDTach 3.0 and IOMeter and discovered that there was a double in synthetic performance increase when switching to the raid array and my random access time had remained the same. I appreciate all of the e-mail feedback that I have received on my part 1 article and this part 2 is based on a lot of the information and testing that many of you requested that I do. One of the main issues was the synthetic testing that was done in Part 1 of the article. We all know that synthetic benchmarks for HDD's mean little in comparison to how the actual drives perform in real world usage in a single user environment. Most synthetic benchmark apps are tailored for server level I/O's and although in my part 1 you saw a double in average sustained read, in actuality that may make the raid array look significantly better in a single user environment then it really was. Based on that, I decided to rip apart the array and start testing from scratch using an old fashioned stop watch timing technique. Again, this comparison is between a single WD74 Raptor vs. dual WD74 Raptors in Raid 0 with 16k striping.

Preliminary System Specifications:

CPU: AMD Athlon X2 4800+ (2.4ghz)
Motherboard: Asus A8N-Sli Premium
Video Card: ATI X1900 XT
Memory: Corsair XMS 2 Gigabytes PC3200 (DDR400)
Power Supply: Silverstone Zeus ST56ZF

Testing Procedure:

The actual timer used was a Casio hand held stop watch. The testing procedure was done exactly the same for both setups. I had all testing tools and applications on a WD2500 250 Gig Serial ata II hard drive left installed in the system. First off, the Windows XP Professional with SP2 operating system was installed on the drive/s. Immediately into the operating system, the Nforce4 motherboard drivers were installed. Direct X 9.0c was installed, Athlon Dual Core Processor Drivers and XP Dual Core Hotfix were all installed, sound card drivers and finally the catalyst video card drivers. The rest of my testing applications were then installed and all of my read/write rar, zip, avi, and jpg files were copied over from the WD2500 to the current setup. Immediately following final copies and installs the setup was defragged twice and the system was restarted and prepared for initial testing. Again, this was repeated exactly the same on the single drive and on the dual raid drives.

*Please Note* This article was completed using a hand held stop watch timer and although my results are very close to being dead on, you always have to factor in a slim margin of error. Especially when it is physically impossible for the human brain to make completely accurate timings. My results are as close as humanly possible.

Loading Results:

windowsxp.JPG

Windows XP bootup was where the raid array really displayed a dramatic increase in loading performance as I stated in Part 1 of the article. These times were measured over a span of 10 shutdowns and startups between application benchmarking on both of the setups. The average over a span of 10 bootups and shutdowns was recorded into the data field and chart that you see above you.

apploading.JPG

For the application loading tests I had freshly restarted the computer before each application load. Photoshop obviously displayed the most dramatic increase in loading time over the rest of the applications but the raid array proved to definitely increase the snappy feeling of application and file loads. The stop watch was clicked on as soon as the program was double clicked from the desktop and clicked off as soon as the application ceased loading. Each application was timed, and the PC was restarted twice to get two seperate readings. The reading you see on the chart is the average reading of the two on both setups.

gameload.JPG

Gaming load testing was generally completed the same way as previous application load testing except for the fact that only one timed reading was taken from each game. The raid array, to my suprise shaved off more than just a few seconds on these games. 10 Seconds off of a game load is rather significant in my eyes. Again, I was not expecting these kind of gains from the raid array. The games were timed from the first level loading screen and the computer was re-booted between each game. One timed reading was taken from each game on each setup.

falcon.JPG

Falcon 4.0 Allied Force was chosen for its heavy loading impact on any gaming rig. I took one reading from loading the game from the windows xp desktop and I took my second reading loading the Flight Training Takeoff level. The same procedure was used on the raid array. Again, you are looking at one timed reading from this game on each setup.

Last edited:
File System Results:

readwrite.JPG

For the file copy read/write test, four individual AVI video files were present on the setups after our initial copy from the WD2500. The files lay dormant on the drive until the testing. Each file was simply copied/duplicated directly from its folder on the same drive to the windows xp desktop. One reading was taken and the computer was re-booted in preparation for the following file size. The process was repeated until all 4 avi files were timed. As you can see, especially with a larger file the raid array performs significantly better.

fileintensive.JPG

The file copy intensive test was just as the title explains. A folder containing 4.31 GB of mixed graphic images, video files, and executables of all different file sizes was simply copied/duplicated from its dormant folder on the raptor/raptor raid drives to the windows xp desktop. One time measurement was taken. As you can see, with a file intensive task the raid array obviously performs much better than the single drive.

winrarextract.JPG

The Winrar extraction test was taken using a rar file that had a compressed amount of jpg picture files. The file had 271MB of compressed images. The test was timing how long it took for the computer to extract these jpgs from the rar file. Three timing measurements were taken and the computer was re-booted between each extraction. You are viewing the average extraction time between the three runs.

hddinstall.JPG

The installation to drive (from drive) test was timing how long it took to install 3D Mark 2003 from an executable form on the desktop of the single drive and raid setup. The raid array improved executable installation time dramatically. Only one timed reading was necessary on this test. The timing was started as soon as the OK button was depressed in the setup program and was finished after all of the progress bars had come to 100% and finished.

Synthetic Benchmarking Applications:

pcmark05.JPG

PCMark 2005 is a program that measures the complete performance of every aspect of your computer. As per the software developer: PCMark®05 is everything you need to reliably and easily measure the performance of your PC and determine its strengths and weaknesses. (www.futuremark.com) Measuring the performance of my PC with the single Raptor installed netted a score of 5876 marks. By simply installing the Raptor Raid 0 array I increased my PC Mark score to 6235. If you are familiar with futuremark and this benchmarking tool, you will know that a gain of almost 400 pcmarks is extremely substantial from simply adding a raid array.

pcmark05complete.JPG

The total time to complete the PCMark05 benchmark was taken from start to finish and only one reading was necessary. The raid array knocked off a full minute on the benchmark vs. the single raptor.

sandraindex.JPG

Sisoft Sandra is another synthetic benchmarking application for measuring hard drive performance. The comparison is between the Drive Index Rating as per this software. Almost a 50% improvement was netted from the raid array over the single drive. The benchmark was completed one time on each setup and the results are displayed in the chart.

sandracomplete.JPG

One measurment was taken for the above chart. This test measured how long it took the computer to complete the Sisoft Sandra Filesystem "Drive Index" test. The test was simply timed from start to finish.

Last edited:
hdtachspeed.JPG

HDTach3.0 is another synthetic file system benchmarking application. You are viewing the results of the average sustained read betweem the two raptor setups. Its no secret the raid array doubles sustained transfer rate in these synthetic benchies.

hdtachms.JPG

Here you see the unchanged Random Access time between the two setups.

PLACEBO TESTING:

The following testing was done for a placebo effect. I wanted to see if a raid array had any positive or negative effect at all on software during highly dependent ram/cpu priority situations. *edited for John G* :) The placebo effect being the test looking for a gain from the raid array and expecting a gain, but not realizing that gain. In a sense taking the drug and not receiving the benefits of it.
gameFPS.JPG

The gaming Frames Per Second measurement displays both the single drive and the raid array performing exactly the same in general gaming. For testing, each game was set @ 1024 X 768 with 4XAF. Softshadows was disabled in FEAR. The built in FPS measurement tool was used for recording FEAR benchmarks and the HOC Quake 4 tools were used to record FPS for Quake 4.

Last edited:
cdrom.JPG

This is a placebo test measuring how long it takes a CDROM drive to install Pinnacle Studio 9 to the test rig. As everyone would be expecting there is very little to no noticeable difference in install speed between the raid array and the single drive. The CDROM drive is the bottleneck or "placebo" in this testing so to speak.

3dmark05.JPG

As per the manufacturer: By combining high quality 3D tests, CPU tests, feature tests, image quality tools, and much more, 3DMark05 is a premium benchmark for evaluating the latest generation of gaming hardware.(www.futuremark.com) 3DMark05 is one of the synthetic benchies that is known to be heavily dependent on the video card, rather than the CPU and RAM. For obvious reasons this software was also chosen to be part of the placebo effect for this article. As you can see, the scores remained exactly the same from a single drive to a raid array.

compress.JPG

Our last placebo test is heavily dependent on the processor and ram. I simply compressed 512MB of jpg picture files into a RAR file using Winrar by Rarsoft, Inc.(www.rarsoft.com) Only one measurement was necessary. Timing was simple and measured from start to finish of compression. The last placebo test definitely holds true as the hard disk should have little to no effect on compression time.

Conclusion:
As you can see, using my individual PC components including processor, motherboard, and on board raid controller: two raptors in raid was definitely worth the money for me personally. Timed data concluded only what I already believed to be true about how much better the raid array was performing on my computer vs. the single raptor. When I was reading my feedback about Part 1 of this article a member sent me an e-mail a week or two ago and pointed out that in a Raid 0 configuration especially, any minor difference in motherboard, processor, or raid controller, including the way you actually setup the striping on your array is going to give you completely different results than myself or anyone else for that matter. That is a great point, and although it is a simple a statement as it sounds it is vastly important to the end results in this article and should definitely play a part in your own consideration of building a raid setup for yourself. This part 2 article gave me a completely different outlook on raid and whether or not it really should be for the desktop user. Factoring in failure possibility of the array and monetary capability of the majority of America I really dont recommend a raid array for the average desktop user. But there is a catch to that last statement: As stated previously in Part 1, I recommend "RAID for the desktop user that wants the maximum possible performance squeezed out of his machine - the overclocker, the hardware fanatic, the geek." That is exactly where I stand on this subject. As far as a single raptor vs. a raptor raid setup. There is now currently no doubt in my mind that two 74G Raptors in Raid 0 perform much better in a single user environment than the individual 74G Raptor. Be prepared in the coming months for a Part 3, I plan on introducing the new 150 Gig Raptor X into the mix.

Kind regards,

Dominick V. Strippoli (AKA Dominick32)

good job. i love the review.

Personally i could never go raptors... believe me i would like to, but in canada they cost $50-$100 more after conversion, and i can't afford to spend that... after reading this i'd love to go raptors if the price dropped :)

ajrettke said:
STICKY!!
awesome job!

Thanks a lot AJ.
I appreciate the kind words. Believe me when I tell you a lot of time consuming hard work went into this review. I finally feel a sense of relief that its finished. lol

Dom

boris_37 said:
good job. i love the review.

Personally i could never go raptors... believe me i would like to, but in canada they cost $50-$100 more after conversion, and i can't afford to spend that... after reading this i'd love to go raptors if the price dropped :)

Thanks Boris. I appreciate the feedback. :thup:

Dom

Interesting information... As would be expected, boot and loading times and big file transfers are the main improvement. So, we have a basis of talking about what we get for the cost, etc.

Also, I wouldn't really call that last section "Placebo"....that would be more like someone setting up the system with unknown drive configuration, giving it to someone who didn't know, then they give it to you to hold the stopwatch...then record the results without any idea whether the system you just benched was RAID or not. They're just some more benchmarks that illustrate things that the RAID did not improve.

John G said:
Interesting information... As would be expected, boot and loading times and big file transfers are the main improvement. So, we have a basis of talking about what we get for the cost, etc.

Also, I wouldn't really call that last section "Placebo"....that would be more like someone setting up the system with unknown drive configuration, giving it to someone who didn't know, then they give it to you to hold the stopwatch...then record the results without any idea whether the system you just benched was RAID or not. They're just some more benchmarks that illustrate things that the RAID did not improve.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess in my own wording I am using the term placebo as the odd test out. Consider the placebo tests as the tests that were thrown in the mix (blind) thinking that they were going to see some improvement from the raid array (taking the drug) and not realizing any effect. :santa: hehe

Dom

Nice job :)

One additional test I would recommend (but, seeing as you've probably destroyed your testing rig, it's probably too late), would be the "copying lots of small files" test.. take hundreds of thousands of <1 kilobyte text files in a mixed directory structure, and copy them somewhere else on disk. This is one of the most devistating things for a filesystem, and makes the filesystem and disk work very hard... updating the MFT, writing the tiny file, updating the MFT, writing the tiny file, etc.

These files would be so tiny that they wouldn't be striped across the RAID (wouldn't hit the end of a 16k block), so the RAID should give very little performance increase when reading or writing. This is more of a situation that a mail server or caching proxy will run into though.

su root said:
Nice job :)

One additional test I would recommend (but, seeing as you've probably destroyed your testing rig, it's probably too late), would be the "copying lots of small files" test.. take hundreds of thousands of <1 kilobyte text files in a mixed directory structure, and copy them somewhere else on disk. This is one of the most devistating things for a filesystem, and makes the filesystem and disk work very hard... updating the MFT, writing the tiny file, updating the MFT, writing the tiny file, etc.

These files would be so tiny that they wouldn't be striped across the RAID (wouldn't hit the end of a 16k block), so the RAID should give very little performance increase when reading or writing. This is more of a situation that a mail server or caching proxy will run into though.

Thanks for the comments on my article. Do you think running that test you mention would benefit a single user environment? hehe :santa:
PS- My test setup is toast. No more reviewing for me until I get a pair of 150 gig Raptor X's.
Dom

The only situations I can think of that would warrant copying large numbers of tiny files would be backing up email in some horrid fashion, or backing up an installed version of Ghost Recon + Island Thunder + Desert Combat (= about 2gb of tiny files), besides that, I doubt many users will run into something like that... they're more likely to run into backing up a bundle of vacation photos, or other larger files.

Back