• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead BH-5 or UTT...possible FIX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
question

the linked thread says that this fix is [mostly] for sticks that were killed by running clockgen and cpuz, which erased the sticks' spd's. that part i understand. would flashing the spd dump be at all related to bad addresses on the stick, or is this just to make a good stick that stopped working, work again? as an example, i've got 2 sticks that have to be replaced in my rig because they error out in memtest and lock up windows. if i flashed these sticks using that thaiphoon program, would that clear up the erroneous addresses? i'm pretty sure the answer is no, and that these are 2 totally unrelated problems, but i thought i should make sure before i toss the idea to the curb.

pejsaboy said:
the linked thread says that this fix is [mostly] for sticks that were killed by running clockgen and cpuz, which erased the sticks' spd's. that part i understand. would flashing the spd dump be at all related to bad addresses on the stick, or is this just to make a good stick that stopped working, work again? as an example, i've got 2 sticks that have to be replaced in my rig because they error out in memtest and lock up windows. if i flashed these sticks using that thaiphoon program, would that clear up the erroneous addresses? i'm pretty sure the answer is no, and that these are 2 totally unrelated problems, but i thought i should make sure before i toss the idea to the curb.

It really doesn't hurt to try it. If the memory isnt working right now to begin with, then just try it. People have had memtest errors go away from doing this. I myself gained 10 more mhz on my memory. There really isnt any risk in flashing your memory. It honestly takes ten seconds a stick.

wow ... all we need is a dump of current sticks timings (full) and a editor to play with ...

man i didnt even know you could flash ram ... i learn something new everyday

From XS.org, of course I've could get one from our main techs but he is busy guy so I didn't feel like disturb him :)

This is looking very weird, SPD reader shows that Trc and Trfc are at 0.00ns / value 0. Hmmh.

Joe Camel said:
that sucks Eldonko!!

how did your sticks die in the first place?
How? Its UTT-CH ;)

I flashed SPD in from a working Redline stick, but not all dead RAM can be fixed, some is just dead. :)

Eldonko said:
How? Its UTT-CH ;)

The story of UTT:

Scene #1: Two guys talking about ram.

First guy: "I've got some great running ram that does 275 at 2-2-2-5 timings when given only 3.6v. :)"

Second guy: Wow! That's simply awesome...what chips does it use...Winbond BH-5?"

First guy: "No, it uses something even better. It uses UTT CH die based chips."

Many times followed by Scenario #2":

First guy: "I had some great running ram that did 275 at 2-2-2-5 timings when given only 3.6v. But now it is dead. :("

New guy: Wow! That was simply awesome...what chips did it use...Winbond BH-5? And how did it die?"

First guy: "No, it used something even better. It used UTT CH die based chips. It died, well, because it used UTT CH die chips."

That pretty well sums up the whole UTT experience, doesn't it?

well I didn't fix any dead ram, but I did flash some kingston bh-5 pc3000 unmatched pair to kingston pc3200 and now it clocks about 20 mhz higher, I don't know if its the fact that their a matched spd now or what, but I'm not complaining :D

That is excellent news as the flashing of the PC3000's SPD to that of the PC3200 has always been my primary interest in this whole story.

toddm27,
where did you get the "dump" you flashed with?
from one of your own sticks or from the Extreme thread?

sorry i keep asking the same question, im just looking for patterns :)

Reefa_Madness,
ROFL that story line is DEAD on (pun intended)

except if i were "first guy", it would be "but i ran them @ 3.94v..." ;)

Joe Camel said:
toddm27,
where did you get the "dump" you flashed with?
from one of your own sticks or from the Extreme thread?

sorry i keep asking the same question, im just looking for patterns :)
I first saved both dumps, then flashed one of the sticks with the spd from the other, then I got the pc3200 kingston dump off of xs and flashed one, it showed up in cpu-z as pc3200, so I did the next it also shows up as 2-2-2-6 @200, flashed both and rocking ever since. :D :clap:

Hey guys I have some questions.

Is flashing the BIOS on the RAM only recommended if you have "dead" sticks?

Also, how can you tell if your RAM has had it's SPD settings erased by CPU-Z?

I wouldn't mine trying to flash the RAM in my sig, which is PC3200, with the Mushkin PC3500 dump on XS.

Would this be a worthy flash or would I be wasting my time?

OC/ingmaddog said:
Hey guys I have some questions.

Is flashing the BIOS on the RAM only recommended if you have "dead" sticks?

Also, how can you tell if your RAM has had it's SPD settings erased by CPU-Z?

I wouldn't mine trying to flash the RAM in my sig, which is PC3200, with the Mushkin PC3500 dump on XS.

Would this be a worthy flash or would I be wasting my time?
well your taking a chance flashing to a different kind of ram, I wouldn't say it is only recommended if you have dead sticks, some of the guys were recommending it if you have an unmatched pair. if the spd settings have been erased by cpu-z you'll have a hard time getting one or both sticks to boot in most systems. try flashing to one stick first and see if it takes it and acts normal still, open cpu-z after you flash it and check what it shows, if it takes do the second, I'd make a dump of your ram before you do it. if it goes bad, then flash the one you changed back and it should be normal hopefully. you never know until you try it :shrug:

toddm27 said:
if it goes bad, then flash the one you changed back and it should be normal hopefully. you never know until you try it :shrug:
and please document (take notes) on what procedure you did and the results so we can ALL learn from your experience :)

OC/ingmaddog said:
Guys it's only one stick of 512MB. ONE. Not two of 256. So would you still recommend I flash? Probably not I'm guessing...
as long as you've got a second stick of something to get you back into windows if it goes bad, if you read the xs posts, they talk about putting tape over all pins except the spd pins to get it to flash once dead and not working in boards, so it will boot, but you do need a second stick of something to get it to work, if it was me I would be hesitant about doing it without any backup memory, I did mine but I am also about to buy some more memory, so no major down time if it went wrong.

Joe Camel said:
Reefa_Madness,
ROFL that story line is DEAD on (pun intended)

except if i were "first guy", it would be "but i ran them @ 3.94v..." ;)

To be honest...there are two versions of that story.

Had I "told" the story over at XS, then I would have been more EXTREME and pulled a LastViking (like when he ran 300 with his bh-5) and used 4.03v, not 3.6v, like I did in the milder OCF version of the story. :D

Back