• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flags/Option Setting For Different CPU's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

the garynator

Chief folding_monkey
Per member request, here is the beta of the thread :D :

Disclaimer! Read Before Posting!:
This thread was not intended to be an end-all solution for what to run on a given CPU. It is intended to help guide *most* new users onto the correct path. We could debate forever and never get anywhere. It's generalizing and YES, some machines are safe to run other things on, but again, this is assuming the worst about a given machine and not knowing everything about the machine.
If you have a legitimate correction let me know.

CPU and Folding at Home Flag/Option Matching.
**Thread under construction**

What Flags/Console are best for my machine?
This is not ment to be strictly followed, it's ment to point people in the right
direction, feel free to set whatever options/flags to whatever you want/feel would be best.

Every machine running should have the -verbosity 9 flag set. It makes it far easier to diagnose problems if the maximum amount of data is written to the log.

Non-Brand/Type Specific CPU's:

Not Listed:

Flags:
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=no
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

1ghz+
Less than 512mb RAM;
Any type of SSE or 3DNow!

Flags:
  • -forceasm
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=no
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

1ghz+
256mb+ but less than 512mb RAM;
Any type of SSE or 3DNow!

Flags:
  • -advmethods
  • -forceasm
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=no
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

Intel CPU's:

Pentium M, 1ghz+ Celeron(D/M), 1ghz+ Pentium III, Pentium 4, Pentium D
256mb+ but less than 512mb:

Flags:
  • -advmethods
  • -forceasm
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=no
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

Pentium M, 2.0ghz+ Celeron(D), Pentium 4, Pentium D
512mb or more RAM:

Flags:
  • -advmethods
  • -forceasm
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=yes
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

AMD CPU's:

Turion 64, 1ghz+ Duron, Sempron 2500+ or higher, 1ghz+ Athlon(xp), Athlon 64, Athlon 64X2, Athlon FX
256mb+ but less than 512mb:

Flags:
  • -advmethods
  • -forceasm
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=no
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

Turion 64, Sempron 2800+ or higher, 1.2ghz+ Athlon(xp), Athlon 64, Athlon 64X2, Athlon FX
512mb or more RAM:

Flags:
  • -advmethods
  • -forceasm
  • -local
options:
  • bigpackets=yes
  • ignoredeadlines=no
    **Notebooks Only**
  • [power]battery=yes

Links and other sources related to Flags/Options:

Wedo's Ultimate FAH Install Guide said:
Here is your guide to the flags:

• -local
    Used with multiple cpu rigs (dually, HT, quad cpus etc) to set up FAH as one client per one cpu. If this flag isn't used on a dually and two instances are running, your rig will show up as running at 50% in task manager as both instances will split the processing power of one cpu leaving the other to sit at idle.

• -service
    Sets FAH as a service. Very important flag that will tell your rig to use srvany.exe to run FAH4Console.exe as a service instead of running the client in the console window. Thereby keeping your rig folding even when no one is logged on.

• -forceSSE
    Forces SSE use for AMD's. P4's do not need this flag, but it doesn't hurt so it's including in most automated FAH installs like the One-Click.

• -forceasm
    Forces the use of 3DNow and SSE. In some instances, if a power failure occured, your computer locks up (not due to FAH), or your kid brother kicks over your tower, FAH will restart in a form of "safe mode" that doesn't use 3DNow/SSE. This will cause your machine to fold much slower so this flag forces the higher setting on no matter how the client was turned off previously.

• -advmethods
    The gromacs flag. This flag tells FAH to only seek out Gromacs (a type of protein) from the Stanford servers. Gromacs used to be the end-all-be-all of point production. However, recent changes to the point value for Tinkers have made this flag counter-productive on AMD rigs.

• -verbosity 9
    Gives you the uber update in your log files. More info will be written in case your having issues or are just interested in what FAH is doing.

note: the -forcesse is not supported by version 5.xx of the folding@home client

Future Updates:
  • Add SMP
  • Get new versions of the one click, with settings already in them for each different cpu type
  • Finish this thing...

Let me know if there is anything I'm missing, or you would like to change. Also thoughts would be appreciated.

Last edited:
dropadrop said:
What does -local do?

the garynator said:
Wedo's Ultimate FAH Install Guide said:
  • -local
    Used with multiple cpu rigs (dually, HT, quad cpus etc) to set up FAH as one client per one cpu. If this flag isn't used on a dually and two instances are running, your rig will show up as running at 50% in task manager as both instances will split the processing power of one cpu leaving the other to sit at idle.

I believe the -local flag is used to ensure that the console uses only its local directory (ie the one that the console.exe is located in) for configuration. Only needed if running more than 1 instance but good practice to always include it in case you add another instance later.

Here is a link to the stanford description -> http://folding.stanford.edu/console-userguide.html

yes ... but i always use -local even when i only run 1 instance. It doesn't hurt, and when you put on a second instance like i did recently to partially compensate for loss of qmds on all my p4 ht rigs, it helps avoid (my) mistakes.

:eek: yes ... i did forget on a few to change machineid!

pscout said:
yes ... but i always use -local even when i only run 1 instance. It doesn't hurt, and when you put on a second instance like i did recently to partially compensate for loss of qmds on all my p4 ht rigs, it helps avoid (my) mistakes.

:eek: yes ... i did forget on a few to change machineid!

yes, it never hurts to have the -local flag on. :D

Every macnine running should have the -verbosity 9 flag set. It makes it far easier to diagnose problems if the maximum amount of data is written to the log.

I wonder how detrimental it is to have bigpackets turned on on every machine. If you only have 256mb of ram, you wont get bigpackets with it on or off, since you only get them if you meet minimum requirements. Great guide gary. This should at least be added to the main sticky.

Thanks guys.
dwschoon, to my knowledge, there are only a few big packets that check for ram, such as qmd's and possibly double gromacs. Can anyone confirm this?

thats strange.....on a InCrease install on my macs it runs the -forceasm flag..., but i sure that mac's dont run 3dnow or sse

i will have to investigate
lee

Back