• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7800 GT temps (SLI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stefong2

Registered
Hello I've got 2 GT's in SLI. And am getting idle temps at 44-47 degrees Celcious. I just wanted to kow if this is normal for SLI and why? I mean the two cards are actually different 1 is XFX with a Zalman copper HS/F and the other is EVGA with stock HS/F (getting the same Zalman soon..) In any event I just thought that maybe these temps are too high and will be effecting my overclock. So before I overclock I need to know if these temps are correct. (I'm using the NVidia temp detector in the display settings. If anyone has info I'd really appreciate it. :)

depending on the board you are using it tends to turn the space in between the cards into an oven. with an older SLI board you didnt have a lot of room between the cards, i had to take off the back support of my bottom zalman just to get the upper card to fit. are your temps like that on 1 card or both?

my temps are like that for both. Are these too high? I've got an Asus A8n SLI mobo which has plenty of room in between.

Make sure the sinks are properly seated? make sure you have a good TIM in there also, I use AS5 on my GPUs with no ill effects.

My top one idles at 50c. The bottom at 47c.

That's on the A8N32 which has two regular PCI slots in between the two PCI-X slots.

One of the regular slots has a Soundblaster X-Fi. And the case fans are kinda low CFM, so the case airflow is a bit weak.

I have two of the NV Silencer Rev.3's on order from Newegg. I'm hoping that the rear exhaust set up will help with overall case temps - even if they don't lower the card temps much. Assuming they fit. :confused:

I got one of those exhaust fans on the way as well. I sure as hell hope it can fit between the cards. Mine may idle low but they reach high temps quickly under load. While benching I have to take the side panel off, heh.

stefong2 said:
Hello I've got 2 GT's in SLI. And am getting idle temps at 44-47 degrees Celcious. I just wanted to kow if this is normal for SLI and why? I mean the two cards are actually different 1 is XFX with a Zalman copper HS/F and the other is EVGA with stock HS/F (getting the same Zalman soon..) In any event I just thought that maybe these temps are too high and will be effecting my overclock. So before I overclock I need to know if these temps are correct. (I'm using the NVidia temp detector in the display settings. If anyone has info I'd really appreciate it. :)

My 6800XT modded to a 6800GT runs about 47-51c idle... your cards are significantly faster, so I'd say 44-47c is a great idle range. With that being said, you might consider an upgrade in cooling for both cards: not because they nessicarily need it right now, but it's a safer bet considering both cards together will generate significantly more ambient heat than a solo card. The NV Silencer is about $35 after shipping (so $70 for both cards) and directs the air outside of the case, which will help all-around.

If you're not up to spending another $70 on top of what I'm guessing was a good $500-$600 on your video cards, then at least pick up some AS5/Ceramique and replace the stock thermal conducting solution with that.

dbett said:
I have two of the NV Silencer Rev.3's on order from Newegg. I'm hoping that the rear exhaust set up will help with overall case temps - even if they don't lower the card temps much.

In the reviews I've seen the Rev 3's tend to lower idle temps by anywhere from 13-20c, and I believe load temps were about the same reduction, as compared to stock cooling.

You guys let me know how are your temps after putting in the REv's I'd be interested if seeing they live up to thier rep.

MeatTheEB said:
In the reviews I've seen the Rev 3's tend to lower idle temps by anywhere from 13-20c, and I believe load temps were about the same reduction, as compared to stock cooling.

That would be nice.

But as I said, my hope is that I can get lower case and motherboard temperatures.

well i put my friends 7800gt and they were runing at around 34c on my card and 35c on his but the ambiant temps were around 33c

I'm just going to obviously try to improve the ambeint temp. of my case and that should inturn give me a decresase in temps for my two GPU's thanks to all who replied.!

FYI.

I got my two NV Silencer 5 Rev. 3's from UPS and installed them last night.

They fit - even with the X-Fi soundcard sitting in between!

And they help the temps a lot. The following temps are under video load from running 3dMark05 multiple times in a row. I have two BFG 7800GT OCs. And am running an X2 4400+ at Auto everything in bios and with the stock HS. The case has pretty good airflow but I'm running all Nexus 80mm fans (two rear exhaust, one lower front intake and a side panel intake blowing on the PCI slots).

Before:
MB-47
CPU-47

After:
MB-40
CPU-44

I don't have my notes with the GPU temps right now (I'll post them later along with picts of the rather crowded case). But IIRC, the GPU temps went down around 5 degrees (more on the lower card than on the top card).

And the better thing is that all the temps remain the same even when I oc'd the cards - right now just at "optimal" settings of about 445 and 1.8. Before oc'ing the cards really jacked all the temps up.

Two problems with the install though:

1. The fan on the upper card initially didn't turn. :eek: After looking a bit more closely, I realized that the X-Fi was touching the hump on top of the fan (which faces down in the case). Luckily I was able to cut a little piece of rubber gasket I had lying around and jam it between the X-Fi and the clear plastic edge around the fan. That gives it enough clearance to now turn freely. :clap:

2. But even with that clearance, the X-Fi is still long enough that the last inch and half covers the air intake area on the upper NV Silencer. The result seems to be somewhat higher temps (about 5+ more than the lower card). But the temps are still lower than with the stock cooler so I'm not that worried about it.

Oh yeah and the screws on the stock cooler on one of the video cards were REALLY tight. I almost stripped them trying to get them off, but in the end it worked.

So all in all I'm happy with the addition.

I have 2 XFX 7800 GTs on an Asus A8n-Sli, so there's plenty of room in between the cards. Mine idle around 36-37C and get to around 56-58C after extremely high load(Around 3 hours of Quake 4). Mine are both stock (No aftermarket fan). But i do have 3 case fans on the side of my rig and one PCI slot duel-fan that blows directly on the upper card. 47C sounds a little high for idle(but doesn't sound like it will do any harm) ,but thats about where mine was before I added the 2 extra case fans on the side. I think the side fans really help to get some of that hot air out between the 2 cards.

I posted this over in the Asus MB section, but here's the picture of both NV Silencer coolers installed. The arrow shows the little piece of rubber I had to jam in between the top cooler and the X-Fi. Wish the X-Fi wasn't so long...

slicoolers.jpg

Last edited:
damn, i wish that i could fit a PCIe soundcard between mine... The new Venus should be able to do it, but tyhe Expert with two Silencers makes it impossible...

oh well.. the lower chipset temps, GPU temps, and overall case temps are worth it! I also changed out my chipset HSF, so that lowered all the temps even further... good times!

paleh0rse said:
damn, i wish that i could fit a PCIe soundcard between mine... The new Venus should be able to do it, but tyhe Expert with two Silencers makes it impossible...
I think the Venus has the same spacing as the Expert. The only difference between them is aluminum capacitors, better compatibility with TCCD RAM, and a black box. . . .You can take a look here, if you haven't already.

Back