• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Netdimes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
Another distributed computing project? YES!!!!

The DIMES project(Distributed Internet MEasurements & Simulations) is an Israeli research initiative that aims to map the Internet. That's a pretty big task but they seem to have found a great way to do it. Like Seti@Home, they use volunteer computers to do their job (so if you want to help - you're welcome ), and it's working great. For example, they have a map of over 1,250,000 routers - the biggest one of all the other research labs, and we're basically talking about two programmers here, and not even enough money to keep all the data they are collecting...

Sounds like fun, eh? If that has you interested, then go to thier website and get thier client! (i just downloaded it and am installing it while i'm typing this up). It DOES require Java Runtime Envirement 1.4 to operate.

http://www.netdimes.org/data.php

I have gone ahead and created a new team for this in case you all want to join. it is www.OCForums.com

it can be downloaded here:

http://www.netdimes.org/download.html

I'm going to leave this running for a while and see how it works. Seeing as how this is apparently a very new program, there are likely some bugs to work out. Also, thier forums are still in the early stages, so any learning/help you can give would likely be appreciated!

small update.

This is slightly different from most other DC apps i've used. You sign up each client under your name, but each client has to have a slightly different name (it defaults each new client by adding a number to it... like TollhouseFrank_1, TollhouseFrank_2...)...... even though you can change it to whatever you want. I currently have 2 clients up and running! I hope to see some others join in!

(and no, i haven't quit F@H... i'm letting it run alongside F@H as it isn't technically a 'constant' program like F@H or BOINC...)

anotehr small update....

Team/User/Country stats can be seen here:

http://www.netdimes.org/data.php

oh yes, and to sign up, you sign up through the program itself. It's very simple. IF you do need help though, gimme a PM or explain it here in this thread, and i'll try my best to help.

Last edited:
and for those that are interested... currently ocforums is ranked 719th in the world... LOL

Oh yes, this program (so far in my testing) has yet to interfer with F@H. If this holds true, then it looks like some of us can finally run 2 DC projects at once that DOES NOT require BOINC to run. (heck... it'd give those BOINCERS another DC program to run! LOL)

Last edited:
sounds interesting...at first i was like wth is thf doin', but when i realized that it doesn't interfere with F@H, I might just put'er on my main rig to try out.

those i'm not sure about. I think some of them haven't been fully implemented yet.

Also, the stats/points server has been down a day or 2... but all results are still good from what i was told there on the Netdimes forums.

Also... i think ghettocomp missed joinin' the team by 3 letters....

remember everyone that joins.... when it asks for what team to join, just type in:

www.OCForums.com

so, if I read right. Ghetto, being the sole user on his team, has a higher rank than the www......
heh.
the starts server was down? is that why the score is 0?

While interesting, compared with folding and SETI it seems like a really big waste of time and resources that could be used for better things.

Feydd said:
While interesting, compared with folding and SETI it seems like a really big waste of time and resources that could be used for better things.

LOL.

I'm doin' it cause it is interesting. ANd besides.... i'm only losing oabut.... 10-15 PPD on my A64 from F@H... not too bad at all.

Oh yes... appears the stats are startin gto work again. I'm showing quite a bit of work turned in now for both my borgs.

It seems strange to me. Somehow I still don't Trust the motives. I want to
see more Stats and accomplishments with this. Also, there may be networks
that rely on not being completely visible to the internet, and besides some
webcrawlers might have more information available. They might have to pay
for it, but it is there.

How EXACTLY does our processors help map the internet? Sounds fishy to me.

And can we like, view the map somewhere? Tha'd be cool.

Frank you may want to mention it doesn't take up CPU resources, it just takes up internet bandwidth (very little), and memory (kinda big)

jcw122 said:
Frank you may want to mention it doesn't take up CPU resources, it just takes up internet bandwidth (very little), and memory (kinda big)
It does take up CPU resources. I installed it to check it out and when it's working it uses 15-30% CPU.

Stryfe said:
It does take up CPU resources. I installed it to check it out and when it's working it uses 15-30% CPU.

Javaw.exe? I keep seeing 0%, but 20,000k memory usage.

Not bad.

yeah.... when i installed it... it took about 10% of my F@H power... but that's not too bad at all. I"m sure it'd take even less if i had it set to send out a packet every 2 minutes instead of every 15 seconds...

Back