• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some 955XE benchmarks at 6GHz+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crotale

I invited Kinc and Incido for some benching with Intel's 955XE and ATI's X1900XTX. We also fixed some 30 litres or so of LN2 to make it a little more interesting.

Spec:
Intel 955XE - Mousepot + LN2 (-140C)
ATI Radeon X1900XTX - Natrium Single Stage (-45C)
Asus P5WD2 - vcore, vdimm, vdroop
Corsair 5400UL
OCZ 520W

The first day, we tested how much the graphics card could handle when it comes to cooling. Chefnr1 container and LN2 for the graphics card and a single stage unit for the CPU. The card managed -50C which was quite ideal for the single stage cooler for the next day.

(Click on the images to show bigger versions)

For day two we mounted the single stage compressor to the graphics card with temperatures at around -45C and a Mousepot to the CPU with LN2. We benchmark 3DMark2001 and 3DMark05 at 6300MHz and 3DMark03 at 6200MHz

You all know that the 955XE, as well as the X1900XTX, draws a lot of current and it definitely doesn't get any better when they are heavily overclocked. We measure a power input of over 700W into the OCZ 520W PSU during the Mother Nature test in 3DMark03.

Results:

3DMark2001: 50079

3DMark03: 27111

3DMark05: 15004

3DMark06: 8194

Sorry, no 7GHz or 100% OC this time :(

crotale said:
Sorry, no 7GHz or 100% OC this time :(
I'm getting the thumbnails when I click, so I can't read what clock you are at now, but you may well hit the 7GHz with a stronger power supply. If the OCZ520 is drawing 700W, it's outputing something like 616W... almost surely its limit.

any way you could get larger pics? when you click on them there still really small :(

good stuff though.

:drool:
need i say more?
buy ya..grab a beefer psu, perhaps he 1k pcp&c? :D

That's a whole lotta cooling :) Run a SPi next time...I'd love to see one on a Presler that fast...great 3D scores!

Nice jon Crotale.

Can you tell me if you get better results with the metal ground plane under the mobo.?

I'm running on top of the cardboard box and suspect a metal ground plane tied in by the mounting holes could improve things.

Have the same PSU here and suspect this is my limitation, but you pushed it a lot further on the same supply, so it should be enough for meager 570 @ 4.7GHz

EDIT: Also noticed you are using the EZPlug connecter next to the 28pin. Was this done for a reason, maybe to pull some current from the other 12 volt rail??

i can't understand how it went so far with that power supply. 700 even from a 80% effecient psu unit is 560 watts (right?), when that is rated at 520. what did the 12V rail look like?

veryhumid said:
i can't understand how it went so far with that power supply. 700 even from a 80% effecient psu unit is 560 watts (right?), when that is rated at 520. what did the 12V rail look like?
Xbit labs test the PS520 at 88% efficient at full load. This indicates an actual output approaching 616W (as noted earlier).

crotale said:
We tried a OCZ600W unit put it tripped the over current protection much earlier. We think the problem is that the 600W model has two 12v rails and that we overloaded the one for the CPU.

It's not easy to find a powerful PSU with only one rail :(
The jury is still out on that one. It's either because the OCZ600 is junk or that it is dual rail. It's hard to test the dual-rail hypothesis because it clearly is junk when compared to the PS520.

Zippy has a model that has a 45A 12V rail (single). I would highly recommend that for these endeavors.

Back