• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project Mini Rig (56k Beware!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

itshondo

I went to buy a cpu from a guy and it was inside this Gateway Essential 800C. No Hard drive installed, he let me take the whole box for $10.00. I installed a Western Digital 80 GB 8mb cache drive to liven things up.

The built in graphics w/n play a DVD without stuttering, so I installed a eVga FX 5500 PCI Graphics card in one of the 2 PCI slots available.

(I also installed the BLACK Liteon Combo Dive & Floppy, you'll see why in a few)

Last edited:
It had an 800 Mhz P3 when I got it, and of course, I wanted more power. After Googling all the info I could, I found that the Intel i810E chipset will support up to a 1 ghz Coppermine CPU So I went to a shop and bought a used P3 1000/133/256 CPU. While I was there, the shop owner gave me a Thermaltake Golden Orb- FREEBIE!

I also installed a 60mm fan (7 volt modded) at the back of the case, as the only ventalation was the power supply blowing in over the CPU HSF.

Here's the Orb installed on the 1000-

Last edited:
Another view-

I bought a pack of replacement silicone feet for the case at Home Depot.

Last edited:
From Above

Now this is not a heavy duty mod, just an easy, good looking finish anyone can do to a boring case.

Now my Mini Rig is all set for a dual boot Win XP/Xandros!

Using it for?

Basically I wanted a small, cheap rig that I could learn Linux on.

Very nice job on the refinishing job. You gave that box a new life. You just gave me an idea....I have been thinking or a while now about building a small PC just about that size to use as a DVR PC next to my TV....I will look for one of those small cases. Thanks! :cool:

The Gateway model is a Gateway Flexatx Essential 800C.

It will support up to 512 mb PC133 Ram, and P3 processors up to 1ghz and Celerons to !.1 Ghz- no support for Tualatins.

Has integrated video, but I chose to go PCI Graphics (about 3500 3dMarks- 2001)

Has only 2 PCI slots (low profile) -I have a Linksys Ethernet card in one and the FX5500 in the other).

Total 5 USB Ports, 3 in the back, 2 in front.

No PS-2 for mouse/keyboard, I use 1 rear USB port with my KVM switch.

Recommend a fast IDE hard Drive with 8 mb cache.

Bios is very simple, no overclocking at all, but allows you to choose your video adapter at least.

Known issues I googled- the big one seems to be bad/buldging capacitors, easily replaced by many. Also, the PSU is only 90 watts, but runs my rig fine. Newegg carries 2 Fortron Source PSUs as replacements, I may pick one up (180 & 200 watt).

This rig runs Win XP SP-2 with all the update fine. Linux too.

Neat little rig.

Last edited:
Nice work, brotha. The paint looks great.

What's next, an Atari 5200?

Nice work, as always.

Last edited:
Thumdar is my brother.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS YA CODGE!

Last edited:
Back