• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must be a folding box!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver

Senior Citizen (aka old fart)
Nothing special. Wife wants the comps up and to appease the commander I have been constructing this folding box. Should look like a piece of furniture of sorts while proving to be functional. Premium wood (home depots cheapest stuff - 98 cent) was used in its construction. I am by no means a carpenter and am doing the best I can with the experience and tools available. Pics that follow are pretty self explanatory and hopefully will serve all that have requested to see it either in public or by e-mail. I shall post as the work progresses towards completion. And with no further ado, the pics.

Attachments

• case1.JPG
    case1.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 361
The door already stained and lacquered w/ ceo QC check.

Attachments

• case5.JPG
    case5.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 346
And a closer look at one pane of the door.

Attachments

• case6.JPG
    case6.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 345
Run down on it. Cross air flow sucking air out of the case. Reason, less noise and equalized pressure across the filter face. Fans are located so as to supply air flow across ram, heat sink and mofsets as well as aid in pulling air out of case at heatsink exit. Psu will aid in hd cooling. Filters are standard furnace 16 x 20 from first layer to top layer. Not visible in the pics is the right side hold down for the filters. Left side hold down is fixed. Case is on casters. All fan grills are black and will be installed at the end. Black grills are intended to tone down the function of the case as it is in the living room. Filters are on the right side as the case will be located on the right side of the room and this obscures them from view. Given the surface area and number of fans the living room should be pretty dust free. Filters are cheap, readily available in a number of flavors and easily changed out not to mention allowing for tremendous filter surface area. Each layer slides out for servicing. Each layer will have a momentary switch located on the individual boards layer in order to further eaze layer slide out access. Case without caster is 72" tall with layers at 7". I presently have 6 boxes folding with 2 on standby for the new case. One will stay in the boys room so the case will start with 7 layers occupied leaving room for 3 folders. Fans are all 28db due to the potential for extreme noise and I will adjust this accordingly. One does not generally sleep in the livingroom but one does desire to watch tv. I do need to drop another breaker/outlet or two to support the power requirements of the case. Cost will be just under $100 completed. Mostly due to hardware, stain and lacquer. Sanded the case with 60 grit today, installed the glass panes in the door and did a little more filler work. Tommorow, temperature dependant, I will sand 150, 220 and possibly stain. If it is too cold then the case may be on hold till the next warmish day. Take Care one and all.

:clap: lookin' good :thup:

Are you planning 1 layer per shelf? Lots of layers!

:beer: :beer:

Yes on the one layer per. I have however sized them so that I think dual micros and or larger mobos could be installed on each layer as the need arises. After all, a case should be designed so as to accomadate (sp) 40Ghz of folding power, No? :clap:

What, only 10 shelves & 10 Powersupplies (500 watts each).
BTW what are you going to feed that with...5000 watts is close to 42 amps...

Mark620 said:
What, only 10 shelves & 10 Powersupplies (500 watts each).
BTW what are you going to feed that with...5000 watts is close to 42 amps...

Been getting away with 380s on some of them. At any rate am dropping two lines from the fuse box. Does kind of explain why some might be a little upset about work load distribution.

Ah heck, double post. :)

:drool::eek::drool:

WOW

EXCELLENT work!!!

thats going to be one beautiful electric heater/air purifier!! :)

PS keep an eye out for bowing from the front of the sides; as the weight builds up, the side posts may start to deflect, you might want a cross-brace somewhere near the middle for support. although, with as little weight as there is, this might not become a problem.
(i build filing cabinets @ work, 50+ lbs per drawer x7 drawers...10x computers arnt going to come to more than 1x drawer)

Can't really see it but each corner is 2 - 1 x 2's butted like an L. Hopefully that will aid in preventing bowing. Would not have been a big deal during construction to have tied the rail supports on a middle layer together for added support. Could have done it on the same plane and in line with a door pane support so as to hide it. Alas, retrospect....I shall hopefull be fine though given weight will not be that extreme. Psu's are designed to be mounted to the exterior skin further distributing the weight. Worst part is that I have really no wood working experience so am shooting from the hip. I was very dissapointed with the finish on the door after the first two coats of lacquer so not knowing what to do I sanded lightly (w/220 grit) the lacquer which made it look horrible then added two more coats of lacquer and what do you know, looks darn near professional. Must be the folding cause keeping a guiding hand on me. :)

Oh Joe, its going to the garage in the summer. I will not pay another year of heating the house to cool it during the summer. Now in the winter it is a nice heating system keeping the livingroom, dining room and kitchen rather comfortable and not adding a great deal to the heating bill (heater hardly ever comes on). Summer will be another story. Speaking of which how about a roughly 9 x 9 room (sons) with summer room temps of 85f possible being cooled by a evap system located outside with sealed rad and 120 fan or two blowing into room with intake for the 120's located in the room? Seems it ought to be able to handle a 8 to 10c drop in the room and making the room comfortable at a cost of very little. Just a thought. Then there is the solar hot water heater I'll probable take on this year. One thing a time, stay focused, folding box first or it will not get finished. :)

Last edited:
You could throw in a couple of "L" bracket on the inside of those 2-1x2's to help the bow effect. (just incase)

Very nice Silver.

Back