• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Takes Over Maxtor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Compared to regular companies they're both giants ;) But yeah, untill now i wasn't really aware that seagate is actually three times as big as maxtor.

Its sort of like when Palm absorbed the BeOS people. They took a few bits of technology from them, and then threw the rest out cause it was junk :D. Well that is interesting.

More news from the NY times
Link-a-dink

The deal is supposed to be complete in the second half of 2006. I did not realize that Seagate was the lagest hard drive manufacturer. Number 2 being Western Digital, followed by Maxtor in third.

And her is an article at Techworld about the buyout.

wow, this is huge, now I wonder if Seagate will start to fix the performance and reliability issues that have stemmed with Maxtor drives recently.

I have used maxtor Hard drives for over 2 years and I never seen a performance or reliability issue with them.
From 80 gig IDE DM9's to 250 gig sata DM10's some of the best performing drives on the market and great prices also.

Janus67 said:
wow, this is huge, now I wonder if Seagate will start to fix the performance and reliability issues that have stemmed with Maxtor drives recently.

Reciently? lmao...... :D

I hope Seagate fixes every single Maxtor drive!!

(I've had bad luck with any Maxie I've owned)

remove hdd guts - throw away - replace w/ seagate guts close hdd / resell.

:santa:

fortunately i have yet to get a bad really bad drive from any of the companies, although my brother had a few WD caviars fail. (back when the 6.4's were just coming out, a few 2's and 4's were crapping themselves)

All my hard drives in my entire life have been maxtors and only one has crapped out on me.

I just bought a western digital and thats my first hard drive from a different manufacturer. It was heavy. haha.

So if my maxtor craps out... who do i contact to get it RMAed?

WarriorII said:
Reciently? lmao...... :D

I hope Seagate fixes every single Maxtor drive!!

(I've had bad luck with any Maxie I've owned)

remove hdd guts - throw away - replace w/ seagate guts close hdd / resell.

:santa:
lol true, recently as in the past 10 years :p

For a long while our company used strictly Western Digital drives, however as of late, and do to the 5 year warranty, we've switched to Seagate only. We've been using Seagate for the last 3 years now and have had zero issues so far. I had good luck personally with Maxtor, WD, and Seagate, even Samsung (back in the 20GB days). In the grand scheme of things we didn't have many issues at all.

- Jim

More power to Seagate, I love Seagate...5 Year Warrenties=All Your Base are Belong to Seagate!

Back