• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

F@H Spotlight #5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TollhouseFrank

Senior Headphone Guru
This is the 5th in the series of T32 Spotlights! I'll continue to interview members when given a chance. The interviews will appear in a spotlight every now and then as long as the nominations keep coming in! For how to go about nominating a fellow folder, please go to THIS THREAD. To see the ever growing list of who has been interviewed and the expected date of the next spotlight, please go to THIS THREAD.

This time, I have something special for you all. No, it's not exploding donkey special, it isn't horrible puns and jokes that work on adult AND child level. This day, I bring you someone who in the seas of F@H has no equal. He is powered by his lager of choice and stops for no cluster no matter how large. Today I bring you the meanest, crudest, rudest, drunkest pirate out there........ (and also a slight bit on the crazy side)

Nahmus

When did you join the Team?

I joined in April 2002

If there was something recent that you did that you wanted your fellow teammembers to know about, what would it be?

I would love to tell everybody that I have finally won tons of cash, Bought my own pirate ship and would be stopping by different ports of call to pickup other team32 members. We would then sail around the carribean borging and creating mayhem. Hopefully to such an extent that Disney opens up a new ride Borgers of the Carribean!! Hopefully Ed McMahon can find my house this year. I put up bigger house numbers... just in case

What is your EOC (extremeoverclockers) stats link?

Dis Be Me

And what about the whereabouts of your pirate holdings?

I live in New Jersey. I'm about 6 blocks from the beach an hour from NYC. The town is very quiet in the winter and filled with drunk college kids all summer.

How did you initially hear about F@H?

My mom was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer. There is no cure and its pretty aggressive. Patients usually die within a year, my mom made 13 mos. I felt pretty helpless and wanted to do something. I started researching cancer on the the internet, ran across the F@H project. Looking down the team list I saw Overclockers.com and it sounded interesting. I stopped into the forums and liked it here. I started folding a week later.

**note... He gets very serious at this part. After what he says, All i can say dude is I feel for ya as I've been there, almost had to deal with that but that is for another post on another day)

after starting, why do you continue to Fold?

So somebody someday doesen't have to loose someone they love. Plus the smacktalk is always fun on the team.

What do you do for a living?

I used to be a SysAdmin but the company went out of business due to PURE STUPIDITY! I ran about 200 workstations in different offices. Once the company went under I went independent. I've been on my own for 4 years. I'm trying to specialize on the network security side of things but i can run cable, design storage solutions, performance tune systems and databases. Unix admin plus tons of other geeky stuff

What do you do for fun?

Jetski (the standup ones, not these floating 4 person sea couches that i see all summer long) I like riding the big waves that come along with storms but my local coastguard outpost seems to have a problem with this.

Is there anything special you do in your spare time that you really enjoy?

Jetski in the summer. Gaming (Everquest and FPS) Work on my house in the winter. Wander NYC.

Time to spill your guts. What are the stats of your main folding rig? Why is it your fave? What all do you use the rig for?

My main gaming rig is way overdue for an upgrade. Its an overclocked XP2100. Once a few more customers pay me I'll be doing a major overhaul. Im my home office I have 2 dully Xeon rigs, a P4 2.8, another AMDxp2600 and another one that Is under repair at the moment.

Do you have a Borg-Farm? If so, how many computers, and what are they?

My borgs in number and type depending on where I'm working and what kind of permission I get.

What are your future goals? What do you most want to accomplish with your life?

To be successful as an independent contracter so I can stay out of corporate america. I like to be able to plan my work around life and not the other way around.

If there is something you want to tell the team, then spill your guts! What have I missed in my questions that could help the team learn more about you and who you are?

I would just like to thank the team for endless entertainment late at night when i'm stuck imaging servers. Thios whole forum is very entertaining.

Nice to meet you neighbor. I'm also about 10 minutes from the beach and an hour from NYC.
Fold on!

Great to meet you captain (salutes). :welcome:

Corp life can be a challenge at time (what employment isn't) ... as you can tell by the time of my post from my home office ... I am lucky enough to have a fair degree of flexibilty. :D

FOLD ON me matey! :beer: :beer:

yeah id never go to work for anyone else unless they broke out the big bucks. Working for yourself is so much nicer. :)

Thanks guys. Glad to be part of the team. Feel free to stop by the Pirate ship for Rum and cokes, Bikini plank walking (this is always a little disturbing when a guy has to go) and just general mayhem!

Just to give you an idea on how corporate america and myself clash at moments...

Our company was really big on LONG...BORING conference calls. I started a Buzzword Bingo league.
For those of you not familiar with this awsome office sport its really easy to start. just go to each department and collect the free "department specific" magazines that are always there. Pick out some of the industry buzzwords and create bingo sheets. We had an awsome excel template that someone whipped up. Add about 50-100 words and have the sheets randomly generated. 2 rounds per hour call, 20.00 to get in. your sheet is e-mailed to you.
Now all you have to do is pay attention. Mark off your sheets as someone says the words. If you get bingo you write down the time and who was speaking. At the end of the meeting you e-mail your bingo time. It was great fun till some new player actually said BINGO during the call. Needless to say that was the end of that.

We also set up out backup ATM pipe as our own NJ vs CA quake tournament server. We told management that we were conducting performance tuning tests.

nahmus said:
Thanks guys. Glad to be part of the team. Feel free to stop by the Pirate ship for Rum and cokes, Bikini plank walking (this is always a little disturbing when a guy has to go) and just general mayhem!
yes, You, well, Capt & coke is one of my fav and in fact, I just had one tonight!! tks for the drink!! :beer:

landshark,
Am i correct in assuming that your name is from the Saturday Night Live skit?

oh and your welcome for the drink... Oh my the shot glass gnomes just hit you with a marker... guess you're not just having 1 tonight :)

Great Interview: It's always interesting to see other people that got tired of Big Corp. I got out of it in the Early ninties and it was worth it but it became 24/7 then an offer popped up with some nice bennies but since 2000 most of that has dried up. This is a great group and all the poking and jabbing just makes it more interesting. Fold-On!

"Bingo"

WarriorII said:
I'm a little slow at reading these. :-/

Well done THF !

Great to meet (?) you Nahmus!!

Fold On !

:attn:

nothin' wrong with it! That is why (david i assume) stickied the thread with all the spotlights in it! Just go there and catch up when ya need to!

Back