• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sick of Spending $$$ on Silenx Fans, Help me find Fans as Quiet, for less money.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Time4aMassiveOC

ok guys so im always seeing people talk about how this fan or that fan undervolts to a low noise level. but im not interested in that.

im interested in finding fans that run as quiet as silenx fans at full speed (off molex) without breaking the bank.

people such as silversink sam have reccomended adda fans since they are what silenx takes and modifys but they've never provided a link where i could buy one.

so if anyone knows of anyplace to buy fans that are as quiet as silenx fans running full bore off the molex. id be happy to get a link.

dont bother telling me about which fans undervolt well, save it for another thread that is concerning that.

Time4aMassiveOC said:
ok guys so im always seeing people talk about how this fan or that fan undervolts to a low noise level. but im not interested in that.

im interested in finding fans that run as quiet as silenx fans at full speed (off molex) without breaking the bank.

people such as silversink sam have reccomended adda fans since they are what silenx takes and modifys but they've never provided a link where i could buy one.

so if anyone knows of anyplace to buy fans that are as quiet as silenx fans running full bore off the molex. id be happy to get a link.

dont bother telling me about which fans undervolt well, save it for another thread that is concerning that.

google is good

http://www.mouser.com/?No=175&Ne=101&handler=data.listcategory&N=350

a few 120mm fans from adda listed.

edit: narrow the search by typing adda and whatever else you want in the part search.

im primarily looking for 120mm fans that are as quiet as silenx. however 92mm and 80mm are important too so please drop links to quiet fans of all those sizes.

i take it yate loons D12SL-12 model
and the rebranded nexus D12SL-12 model

are both highly recommended as "quiet" fans 120mm picks?

i followed the given link to adda fans and couldnt find any anywhere near the specs of silenx. http://www.addausa.com/specifications/ac_fans.pdf
as you can see thier quietest 120mm adda fan only goes to 36dba

though i will add these to the list for comparison

so, thusfar. these are the fans i have on my list to buy for comparison in cfm and and noise testing with a noise tester and cfm tester.

all the fans i will buy to begin with will be the lowest noise models in 120mm size for enthusiasts who want the most airflow with the least noise.

panaflo
delta
thermaltake
silenx
yate loon D12SL-12 model
nexus D12SL-12
adda
papst 4412 F/2GLLL
sanyo denki 24dba model 109R1212T1H122

if you have a brand and model in mind feel free to provide a link to where i can buy it, and the specs (cfm dba) on it.

i will be updateing the list with model numbers of the quietest model ive found per brand. if anyone has better ones share a link please.

Last edited:
120mm Papst models are the 4412 series. 4412 F/2GL is the fastest, rated at 26dBA and about 55 CFM. F/2GLL and F/2GLLL are slower and quieter.

There's only one Nexus 120 (although it comes in either orange or black/white), and it's a slower version of the Yate Loon D12SL-12. Other sizes of Nexus branded fans come from other manufacturers. I believe that the Nexus 92mm is a derivative of a Dynatron fan.

AcoustiFans are interesting but expensive (like Papst). The 120mm is rated at 24.7 dBA and 56.3 CFM, but since it's a ball-bearing fan, I'd wonder about the low noise spec. That brand is also available in other sizes and the pics suggest that they are also rebranded versions of other manufaturers:

http://www.acoustiproducts.com/en/acoustifan_dustproof.asp

I would take forum users' experiences over a manufacturer's noise rating. Each manufacturer takes noise measurements differently, and a lot of them (like SilenX) fudge the numbers a lot. Thermaltake is also one of the worst in this regard.

Look for fans from reputable manufacturers like Adda, Panaflo (at least for the 80mm fans - the L1A is great), Yate Loon, and Sanyo Denki, and you really can't go wrong.

i take it yate loons D12SL-12 model
and the rebranded nexus D12SL-12 model

are both highly recommended as "quiet" fans 120mm picks?
Definitely.
i followed the given link to adda fans and couldnt find any anywhere near the specs of silenx. http://www.addausa.com/specifications/ac_fans.pdf
as you can see thier quietest adda fan only goes to 36dba
I see a lot of fans that go lower than that. Could you be more specific?

I don't know what CFM to dBA they run. Like I said, those numbers really can't be used to compare fans between various manufacturers. I do know that Sanyo Denki makes a very high quality fan.

You can find them on ebay, or try the froogle search for them. They can be a little tough to locate. The classifieds are another good place.

No, to my knowledge the Nexus 120mm's are as quiet as you're going to get at 12V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back