• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Anime Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maxvla

For those of you looking for an anime home on O/C this is your official destination. Please keep all anime discussion in this thread.

Attention: Spoilers present in this thread. Tread at your own risk!

The aim of this thread is to discuss recent anime and those still in production or upcoming, keeping the discussion fresh and interesting. Please leave discussion of aging animes to history unless it relates to current topics.

Here's what i'm currently watching and my thoughts:

Naruto: Seriously, nothing but filler as long as i can remember, but i got hooked and must continue watching. Very minor character building during this arc which is supposed to continue for 18 more weeks, sigh.... I hope they at least improve the filler to give people more than 1 spell they use every time they fight, e.g. rasengan, chidori, etc. I remember the 4th using several spells in his fight with orochimaru and it was very interesting! The same spells over and over for 160+ episodes is getting old. I'm losing interest but still manage to watch it before the next week's episode comes out. At least they are developing Sakura so she won't be quite as completely useless as she has been this entire show.

Bleach: Who's not watching this?!?!? WOW is all i can say. If action anime is what you want this is exactly what you've been looking for. It took a bit to get me hooked on Bleach but i'm glad i stuck with it as right now its better than naruto has ever been. If you haven't watched this I highly recommend it.

Black Cat: An experiment on my part. So far up to ep 7 has been released afaik and it's a bit disjointed, but i'm willing to give it some time as the main character is of the type i usually identify with very easily. hopefully my investment will pay off later on as Bleach has for me.

Blood+: A very promising new anime based on a flop movie in Japan. I've watched up to 7 and 8 is coming out very soon if not already. there is so much i want to know about Saya and how she is connected to these creatures. It has a bit of a 'buffy the vampire slayer' feel to it but done in a way thats not cheap american thriller theater. I love the dr jekyl and mr hide aspect of saya right now and can't wait for her to be able to fully control her power. i can understand her brother's position this early but the time they spend pointing out his feelings is a bit much and i'm ready for them to get past it. I'm not sure how i feel about the anti american military sentiment plastered throughout this anime, but for now i'm ignoring it as much as i can. I'm hooked already which is pretty amazing as even naruto took me 15-20 eps before i couldn't wait for the next episode. I can't recommend this yet, but I like it so far.

thats all i'm watching for now, if anyone has some suggestions i'm all for trying new things.

Maxvla

Hmm . . . I guess I'm about the only person in the whole world not watching Naruto or Bleach. I tried them on, and they just didn't appeal to me all that much :-/

I have been watching Blood+, however. I purchased Blood: The Last Vampire on a whim about 3 years ago, 'cause the box said 'from the director of Ghost in the Shell'. When I was browsing the ANN and saw it, I thought I'd try it on for size. I was quite impressed. The animation quality is fantastic for a TV show based on a rather crummy one-shot 45 minute OAV. Disturbing creatures and apealing character design make it stand out. Good voice acting make the show all that much easier to digest, and the fight sequences are very good, if not a bit gory. Viewer discression very much advised ;)

The other most recent thing I've been watching has been Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid. It's good in the same way that the first one was good; top notch character designs, mech designs, and voice acting all tied into an attractive package. Now, we'll just have to see if they release more omake stuff like Fumoffu?. That made the first series, imo. :)

Max, what is considered recent here? I've got stuff from 8 months ago that many people probably haven't seen. I've also got old stuff that people probably haven't seen, either that they might like to hear about.

for instance... lets leave Evangelion behind... stuff that has been done for years and discussed more than Clinton's oval office activities.

Oni i too have been watching TSR but i'm only up to episode 8 which was a real shocker with the captain/sousoke scene in her office. i'm not sure where this is headed but it doesn't feel like the original series at all. animation of course is top notch as is voice acting, but the story just doesn't feel like its going anywhere good. there are only 13 episodes in this complete series afaik which is pretty short i felt considering the first one was what 26 eps?

One other thing i'd like to point out about Blood+ is that people DIE! Yes! I am so sick of people getting mortally wounded in other animes but give them 20 minutes and they are back to full power ready to fill in the arc holes when the writers have a block. This is my main complaint about Bleach, but besides that I love it.

I can certainly understand not watching Naruto, but what is it about Bleach that you don't like? Perhaps you aren't as much of an action anime fan as i am. some of these action animes don't have much story but i can accept that and just enjoy the action. same as american action blockbusters, terrible acting/story/music... pretty much everything but good action and effects. they aren't mind blowing life changing animes but its a nice little shot of action for 20 minutes a week I enjoy.

For me?

Witch Hunter Robin - If you dont' watch from episode 1, then you will be hopelessly lost. Its a great anime IMO. If you like magic (not like D&D, but imagine it sort of as X-Men set inside of a Soap Opera)

Hellsing - Another great one that doesn't get enough credit. If you love undead/horror movies, then check out this anime. Not for the kiddies though.

Samurai Deeper Kyo - Just obtained episodes 1-26, and will watch them soon. From what I can tell, it is a mix of Rurouni Kenshin and Yu-Yu Hakusho. Looks to be very promising.

Yu Yu Hakusho - For those tired of DBZ, but wanting a great action series based around crazy powers, go for this one! I finally managed to collect EVERY episode (uncut american) and have watched it all the way through. The story line starts to clutter in the last 15 or so episodes, but I think that is because they tried to stuff 60+episodes worth of material into those last 15 or so episodes. On the whole, a VERY good anime series worth watching the whole way through.

Witch Hunter Robin sounds interesting. A different avenue than i usually like.

i never could get into rurouni kenshin so if Samurai Deeper Kyo is similar i most likely won't enjoy it.

Crazy powers are fun. Yu Yu Hakusho might be worth a trial.

Naruto's dragging on too much now. He does all these little missions that are quite useless, ranging from the life saving curry to the imposter Lee and Gai. They probably should show a tad more of Sakura's training, mainly because people want to finally see her do something other then save fish.

Bleach's getting more and more exciting. In the way this is going, would the show end once they get back to the real world with Rukia? Because by that time, Ichigo would pretty much be as strong as the first captain, if not stronger.

Any idea on the next Gundam series? Some of them are pretty lame, but I've only watch Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed, both original and destiny ones. What's after Seed?

Watching Jungle wa itsumo hale nochi guu. I was put out by it first but it's hilarious once you get into it. Seen and liked the little samauri champloo that i've seen. But i usually read manga instead, yakitate japan is hilarious, and hajime no ippo is a fantastic boxing manga (even if you don't like boxing). I've read bleach up to chapter 190 or so, and seen some naruto (100 eps) but I never really got into either.

darksparkz said:
Naruto's dragging on too much now. He does all these little missions that are quite useless, ranging from the life saving curry to the imposter Lee and Gai. They probably should show a tad more of Sakura's training, mainly because people want to finally see her do something other then save fish.

Bleach's getting more and more exciting. In the way this is going, would the show end once they get back to the real world with Rukia? Because by that time, Ichigo would pretty much be as strong as the first captain, if not stronger.

Any idea on the next Gundam series? Some of them are pretty lame, but I've only watch Gundam Wing and Gundam Seed, both original and destiny ones. What's after Seed?

i also have been wondering what will happen to bleach after they save rukia.

i watched gundam wing this last summer start to finish and was left with a 'so what?' impression. not sure i would watch further iterations of this series.

All and all I enjoy shows like:

Trigun = A super human type guy(actually a plant) goes around in a desert world and using a gun tries to save people wthout killing anyone.
Cowboy Bebop - Bounty Hunters basically go around and try to well get bounties
Alexander the Great = Vagually based on the real ruler, has a good story and can get your hurt pumping at how great a ruler he was.
Full Metal Alchemist = Alchemist trying to find a way to restore human bodies, though often get mized up in other things
Samuri Champloo = Samuri pretty much go around trying to find some guy and often get into trouble
Tenchi Muyo = Geeky guy finds out about some powers he has and starts to be loved by all these girls from around space. (well like 3)

Generally these all have what I consider the best stories, and also all seem to have some decent fight. Well Tenchi dosnt and full metal was not grat but still have some.

Lets see, I am a huge Full metal panic fan, and I am waiting for second raid to finish dling, and yes its unlicensced still, so completely legal.

On my desk I have bolth Chrono Crusade, and DNAngel. And after I am done with those, I am going to probably hit Ruorni Kenshin.

But I need get my hands on some Bleach, sounds like my kind of style.

I am also watching Naruto too, not too far in, so far just got to the second season, but enjoying it a good deal so far.

Trigun was probably the first anime i really got into. Great series.

Cowboy Bebop was great, as was Hellsing. FMA was incredible. I liked Yu Yu, Bleach is great.

FLCL (Fooly Cooly) was ****ing HILARIOUS.

Beck was a great anime as well, that was the latest series I've finished. I really wanna get the mangas soon.

Evangelion was weird as HELL. I didn't really get it (most people don't with one watch through the series).

Naruto is getting repetitive. Kenshin is good, but i personally liked the first OVA's better. More bloody :D

I know i'm forgetting lots of anime here, but these are the ones I can think about.

Man, I wish i had Vash's aim in CS HAHA

I've never seen Naruto or Bleach either. Bleach looks good and I'll definitely keep an eye out for it when I go back home for break (may or may not be working this winter so I'll probably have a fair amount of free time). I'll try and find Witch Hunter Robin as well; been meaning to see that for awhile. I don't have a TV or tuner card, so most of what I've seen is on DVD.

I've been too busy to do any real anime watching as of late (graduating in May--w00t :D ).

Death Note seems like it could be interesting when/if it comes over here (reading the manga currently).

Most of anime I've seen and enjoyed has been already mentioned, however I have to add that Hellsing is one of my favourite ones :D Too bad that there were only 13 episodes :/

Berserk is pretty cool too. Some situations are boring / stupid, but overally it's really enjoyable.
These are not series, but also worth seeing in my opinion: Ghost in the Shell (1 and 2), Akira, Metropolis. Gunnm (also known as Battle Angel Alita) was pretty interesting, but there were only 2 episdes, before it got canceled...

Ven0m said:
Ghost in the Shell (1 and 2)

IMO, Dreamworks really, really dropped the ball on Innocence. Crappy subtitles and no dubbing. Lackluster DVD extras etc. I know for a fact that they can get all the original english voice cast save for Mimi Woods (she seems to have fallen off of the world or something :-/), so there was no reason to not have an english voice cast. The subtitles were closer to hearing-impaired closed captions than subtitles.

With a little luck, maybe somebody like Manga Entertainment will pick it up. Then we'll get a quality release.

Guys... managed to watch half of Samurai Deeper Kyo today. It is VERY good, or at least I think so. Story is sometimes convoluted, and it does not always make sense. However, It is VERY funny at times, and is similar to InuYasha in presentation, but done by the artists who did the Samurai X movies(or at least the styling is the same).

Again, i'm, just 13 episodes into a 26 episode series (i hope a new season comes out). It is well worth the effort to get it.

Am currently in the process of trying to acquire Bleach. My brothers have the complete Naruto series subbed and I'll be borrowing it from them soon to watch all the way through.

*fixed :D *

Last edited:
Back