• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Storm vs Apogee real world results:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MassiveOverkill

Well, I'm going down the road to pick up an Apogee to see if it performs any better than my Storm. I was going to return my Storm for exchange, but I was told the Storm is now discontinued so I'm SOL. I'll place it in the For Sale section later. I'll post back hopefully before tonight to let you know my results.

Just the fact knowing my Apogee will never get clogged is a major deciding factor in my decision. I'll be sure to check for the burs I've been reading about and remove them before install. My theory is the extra flow is going to help me out. Actually I'll probably hold onto the Storm and wait until all the retailer's stock is out, then I should be able to recoup my costs.

Last edited:
I'm not going to change my overclock until after the test. It will take awhile to bleed and initial results will have to bear in mind that I'm using Shin Etsu, which takes awhile to cure.

I just bought one of these today. I'll be waiting to see what results you get as well. BTW are you going to post initial results and then results after the Shin has had time to cure?

be carefull this will be a hard test seeing how other factors will be involved

*fans on the radiator still working as good as when you had the storm?
*pump working as good also?
*use artic silver and if yes was it the same ammont?
*is the temperature in your room the same?

many factors but the artic silver seems to affect it the most

Well she's alot lighter than the Storm. I'm trying to warm her up to reach operating temps to do my test. Here are some pics in the meantime:

Surgery about to be performed:

WaterSurgery.jpg

Fine example of Swiftech's poor workmanship:

Burr.jpg

More examples:

flash.jpg

MoreFlash.jpg

Having the O-ring seal to this surface left me uneasy so I lapped it with fine steel wool and washed the block up:

CrapMachining.jpg

She sits lower than the Storm, and with the Apogee you don't re-use your stock mounting bracket (you still re-use the back plate):

SideBySide.jpg

Offset difference:

BlocksTopShot.jpg

bri1 said:
be carefull this will be a hard test seeing how other factors will be involved

*fans on the radiator still working as good as when you had the storm?
*pump working as good also?
*use artic silver and if yes was it the same ammont?
*is the temperature in your room the same?

many factors but the artic silver seems to affect it the most

Everything is brand new on this rig.

For the before and after test AC was set at 76F. Case cover was removed and radiator fan set to full blast. Computer case was in the exact same position as it was before.

Same applications running at startup (my default) for idle test.

For idle, I first load the system with RTHDRIBL until the water temp maxes out, then I'll shut down RTHDRIBLE and wait until temps stabilize.

veryhumid said:
i'd say this is real world, and very accurate. The new block doesn't perform that much better "real world," but you don't have to clean out the little cups of the storm.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/sidewindercomputers/apogeetest.html

nvm lol but you saying its about the same performance because is so ill buy it and save myself the 10 bucks not to mention since im using a vid block 2 it would make for betta flow

I just got an Apogee myself last Friday. It seems to be performing quite well. I paired it with a BIXIII & 3 Panaflo M1As and a MPC655. I have 35C idle and 40C load with a P4 550 3.4ghz at stock speeds.

GearShift3r

I don't like AS. I use Shin Etsu.........that's what I'm using before and after. Shin Etsu before only had 2-3 days to cure.

Here's my before data:

Idle temps for CPU/GPU/water were 39/38/28C

Running RTHDRIBLE, my load temps were 48/43/30C

Under Prime95, my load temps were 51/41/30C

I ran this until the temps maxed out, which only took about 10 minutes, but waited another 5 just to make sure.

These results are without letting Shin Etsu cure, or at least cure to the same point as the before tests:

Idle temps for CPU/GPU/water were 40/38/28C

Running RTHDRIBLE, my load temps were 48/43/30

Running Prime95 my load temps were 51/40/30C

One thing I noticed is that the water in my reservoir churns up alot more now, obviously due to increase flow. I put my case cover back on and I'm running my fan at respectable levels. It seems I can run my fans lower now, but I'll do some more testing.

Even if they perform the same, the Apogee wins because you don't have to worry about jets clogging, and you've got better overall flow in your system to boot.

For someone with a really big rad and/or a really high flow pump, who knows, the Storm could perform better.

Back