• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIG warning about 144/146/148 Opterons

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TankGuys

Tankguys head hitman
Hey all... I wanted to give you a heads up. I am still not 100% sure if this is true or not, I'm working to confirm...

I've been hearing some talk from a few sources that AMD is going to stop selling the 939 opterons through the retail/distribution channels. Word is that they don't want these things being used for anything other than server sets, and they will only be shipping to System Integrators from now on. If that's true, it's going to be well neigh impossible to find them anymore.

Again, I'm not positive yet, and as I find more I'll update this thread. I just wanted to warn you guys, in case anyone is on the fence and can't decide... buy now if you can.

And no, I don't have anymore right this second (though I may get one last shipment). I'm talking about buying them anywhere you can.

TankGuys said:
Hey all... I wanted to give you a heads up. I am still not 100% sure if this is true or not, I'm working to confirm...

I've been hearing some talk from a few sources that AMD is going to stop selling the 939 opterons through the retail/distribution channels. Word is that they don't want these things being used for anything other than server sets, and they will only be shipping to System Integrators from now on. If that's true, it's going to be well neigh impossible to find them anymore.

Again, I'm not positive yet, and as I find more I'll update this thread. I just wanted to warn you guys, in case anyone is on the fence and can't decide... buy now if you can.

And no, I don't have anymore right this second (though I may get one last shipment). I'm talking about buying them anywhere you can.

Wow I just ordered a 146 today for $200
No selling outside of classifieds.! 1st and last warning! krag

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought a brand new 165. Damn I'm happy I jumped on it before christmas.
Although this may sound really lame; these processors were amazing; and for a little while in the computer world you actually got what you payed for. And it goes back....

they are the least expensive chip to have 1 meg L2 cache, the only other that has it is the san diego line from the 3700 up to the fx-57.

144 can be had for about $150-$160 at a good price, 1.8ghz and they overclock great, lots of price gouging going on though.

I paid $190 for a 146 today, hope it OC's...

I don't get it, aren't we, the enthusiasts, only a portion of their market? By buying Opterons are we really causing them to lose so much money?

bri1: They also have twice the cache of a 3200.

What happens if my opty were to go bad and I have it on warranty? I know I wouldn't be able to get my warranty fulfilled with the retailers, and instead it would have to go through amd?

Arent we not supposed to talk about sales here?

Sounds like something they would do. Then again, they are already barely available...in canada at least

I hope this isn't true.

I am glad I have a 146 already, this just blows away my POS 3500+

Lol.

I hope it IS true. That way I can sell my opty 146 for a lot of $$$ once retail distribution stops.

Hehe, sorry for being such a jerk.

I just don't really see why. Selling these to retailers is only making AMD more money. Why limit them to just by our server w/ AMD opteron processor?

I would find it hillarious if any company was gonna limit thier market, on one of thier hottest selling items... just to maintain a niche market...

Kunaak said:
I would find it hillarious if any company was gonna limit thier market, on one of thier hottest selling items... just to maintain a niche market...

I agree... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm still not positive about this, I'm trying to confirm it elsewhere. My AMD rep is impossible to get ahold of, so I'm trying to get info elsewhere. When I know more I'll let you guys know.

I'm hoping it's not true, but I guess we'll see...

Back