• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anti DRM overclockers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-maddog-

Any overclockers wishing to form a overclockers anti DRM group please state you interest here. DRM isn't where you can't burn a cd out of the file anymore. It allows people to physically look at, modify, and delete your files, shut down you computer, and watch what you're doing. Think you can just go around it? Pentium D already has Palladium software in it preloaded meaning you're comuter is physically against you.

A few articles written by myself and shelnutt2

Link to the forums in profile.

We a officialy cristened ADO by JigPu (thanx for the name)

Count as of Dukeman, our newest member: 183

Members:
-_{MoW}_-Assasi
=ACID RAIN=
>HyperlogiK<
3DFlyer
9mmCensor
AlabamaCajun
Alchemy1
alinosa
amazon10x
Anjow
Benvanz
Bigdogbmx
Blackmage
blueswitch
bobthemoo
Bullnettles
caincha
Captain Newbie
CCUABIDExORxDIE
Celeron_Phreak
Christoph
Chrome-
citronym
ckj
Commander_Kang
custom90gt
cV
Cyrix_2k
d94
daddyof2
Dan0512
dark_15
DeepScience
Defian
dicecca112
dippy_skoodlez
dlavrenz
Dreamstalker
Dubbedoutgeo27
DumbstixLars
Duneadan
dz_jad
enhanced
EvilCloudStrife
fateshammer
felinusz
FeuerFrei
Feydd
FlakMonkey
fordman
four4875
Francocomp
FudgeNuggets
GeckoBanzai
ghettocomp
gvblake22
harlam357
Hey_Its_Cole
infinitevalence
IWasHungry
JamminPotato
JasonDTM
jcw122
JFettig
Jimbob7
jnev_89
Joe Phantom
JTanczos
kayson
Khufu
kswaid
lilneel12
Lionsault_100
LoneWolf121188
-maddog-
MadSkillzMan
man_utd
ManicMike
ManOman
Mark620
massraptor
Max0r
mayerfan76
mdameron
mepis
metloaf
mewisemagic2
Midnight Dream
MRD
nahmus
NDX_WARLORD
Nexus Realized
NsOmNiA91130
obsolete
OCn00b
ocZer
OnDborder
orionlion82
overclucker
ozzlo
pejsaboy
Penguin4x4
primuslesler
Prodigious
PWatterson
Quailane
Radical
Randyman...
RedDragonXXX
remote_username
Remove
rseven
SatanSkin
ShadowClock59
Sheepeeshaun
shellshock
Shelnutt2
SinsFeelNatural
Sjaak
SniperXX
Soichiro
SolidxSnake
Son1990
soulfly1448
soundfx4
Spion
squasher
stereo555
subtotal
Super Nade
SuperDave1685
superdaveviii
synthetic_fenix
tae_moh
Tatuya
Tc3 Toad
telexen
tenchi86
the adam
ThePCGuy
TollhouseFrank
torin3
tsuehpsyde
Tyreal
Valk
veryhumid
White Runner
Who
WingsofGOD
xTrEmEoVrClOcKr
Zim2411
LxOxSxI
night8jim
brickout
n0aH
Hipcrostino
Arca_ex
JackNSally
OkydOky
Celada
shadowblade1
Maddog39
BloodbathMK
Encore2097
CPUonNO2
elec999
TerraPhantm
Just Some Dude
Max0r
thideras
Drinkyoghurt
Tserrof
secure
Fr3@k3r
ManOfKnight
mad_pc_man
spydeymon
Merlin7777
Shell
Banyan
raevien
zexmarquies01
Dukeman

*If you want to be added send me a pm

Helpful links:

Eff.org

http://www.againsttcpa.com/

aclu.org

The Following items have TCP implemented:

Many companies support it ie: AMD, IBM, Adobe, Intel, HP and more, but many signed on years ago. No big deal? Well they haven't left. Intel and IBM have been active though. Sony is the #1 danger, they are really pushing and are realing out software that harms us the consumer and is dangerous to our pc. I consider IBM the #2. They make pc with it active and are a major brand. Microsoft #3.

DO NOT BUY THESE ITEMS:
Pentium D has built in Palladium
Pentium 3 with fritz chip
IBM Thinkpad X30 (and other Thinkpad X models also I think)
SONY CD'S with copy protection

Below list by Andre Lorbach (http://www.againsttcpa.com)
Crusoe TM8500 Transmeta
The Crusoe processor TM8500 will have TCPA functions integrated. For all dummies out there ;), this is a full X86 compatible CPU which is used for small notebooks. All Crusoe chips are designed to save as much power as possible.
Information added by Andre Lorbach

PC21100 National
Another TCPA-Compliant Chip which has a Risc-Core that can be used to secure "hidden code and data" and to execute it.

AT97SC3201 Atmel More infos
This is a chip which is used to save 2048 Bit encryption keys and other "secure" data. It also can encrypt and decrypt with 2048 bit.

AMIBIOS8 American Megatrends
This is an extension modul for the AMIBIOS8. Because of the TCPA-Hardware check, the bootprocess approx 5 seconds longer.

Thinkpad X30, Netvista IBM
This notebook series from IBM has an TCPA compliant chip inbuilt. IBM calls it the "TCPA-compliant IBM Embedded Security Subsystem 2.0".

ST19XP1
A so called "Fritz" Chip similiar to that one from Atmel. I am sorry, but there are no further information's about this chip available.

SLD9630_TT_1.1 Infineon
Description will come soon.

Last edited:
The thing that annoys me is that we just can't choose not to use it or bypass it, there trying to make it illegal.

yeah well I'm against it, but there will be hacks, and if worse comes to worse, I use two computers, one for online without DRM, and one with it not online. I think its a lot of people freaking out for something that isn't gonna be that bad

dicecca112 said:
yeah well I'm against it, but there will be hacks, and if worse comes to worse, I use two computers, one for online without DRM, and one with it not online. I think its a lot of people freaking out for something that isn't gonna be that bad

Recently there have been bills in congress to make hollywood be allowed to hack pcs.

As long as the comp will load an OS, there will be work-arounds by using linux.

Quailane said:
As long as the comp will load an OS, there will be work-arounds by using linux.

It can be made to allow only one OS to load. Though some viruses can fry you motherboard and cpu. So one could be programmed to destroy the protection.

EFF.org great site. Some articles you should see:

Trusted Computing Group Helps Lock Down Mobile Phones

EFF Criticizes Plan for Restrictive New Cell Technology

San Francisco - The Trusted Computing Group (TCG), an industry consortium developing controversial computer security specifications, has released a wish list of applications of TCG technology to cell phone security. Unfortunately, much of this "security" aims to help cell phone carriers cement their control over their customers.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) attended TCG's announcement in San Francisco on Tuesday and criticized the proposals as steps in the wrong direction for the future of mobile communications.

"TCG is proudly offering to help cell phone carriers lock down your phone," said EFF Staff Technologist Seth Schoen. "The proposals described today aim to help your cell phone company decide who can publish software or media for your phone, whether you can load your own documents, and even whether you can switch carriers or resell your phone. These are not innovations that consumers will applaud."

TCG announced a set of eleven "use cases" that its members will discuss how to support with TCG technologies in cell phones. Among other applications, TCG suggested:

* "Device integrity" and "SIMlock/device personalization," which would prevent you from switching mobile carriers or reselling or donating your phone to someone else.

* "Platform integrity" and "software use" controls, which would let your cell phone company, not you, decide what software is allowed to run on your phone.

* "Digital rights management support" helps publishers, not you, control how you can use media on your cell phone.

TCG says these new "features" are all in the name of "security" - whether they are protecting against viruses or ensuring that users can't take their phones with them when they change carriers and can't use third-party applications that aren't provided by their carriers. But this security is not necessarily for consumers' benefit. In many cases, TCG's proposals offer "security" only against you, not for you, and the legitimate security benefits could be achieved without also locking down consumer choice. You won't see such consumer benefits as being able to change cell phone carriers easily or freely use the digital media you have purchased.

TCG's proposals for cell phones contrast with its work on security chips for personal computers. In the PC environment, TCG has taken pains to say that its technology is not specifically aimed at restricting users. But TCG is now explicitly offering to help restrict users.

"The cell phone industry hasn't yet realized that cell phones are little computers, and that users expect the same amount of choice about how to use their phones as they enjoy with their PCs and PDAs," Schoen added. "We should be working to make cell phones more like PCs rather than making PCs more like restricted cell phones. But today TCG has demonstrated its eagerness to assist carriers who wish to force more restrictions on consumers, rather than offer them more control and flexibility."

For TCG's announcements at the CTIA Wireless IT & Entertainment conference: https://www.trustedcomputinggroup.org/groups/mobile

For more on trusted computing on the PC: http://www.eff.org/Infrastructure/trusted_computing

Contacts:

Chris Palmer
Technology Manager
Electronic Frontier Foundation
[email protected]

Seth Schoen
Staff Technologist
[email protected]
Posted at 07:58 AM

September 28, 2005
FCC Mandate Forces 'Backdoors' in Broadband ISPs and VoIP

EFF and Others to Challenge Privacy-Invasive Rule

Washington, DC - The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) has issued a "First Report and Order" confirming its expansion of the Communications Assistance to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA) to the Internet. The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is planning to challenge the rule in court.

The new rule forces Internet broadband providers and "interconnected" Voice-over-IP (VoIP) providers to build backdoors into their networks to make it easier for law enforcement to listen in on private communications. EFF has argued against this expansion of CALEA in several rounds of comments to the FCC.

"A tech mandate requiring backdoors in the Internet endangers the privacy of innocent people, stifles innovation, and risks the Internet as a forum for free and open expression," said Kurt Opsahl, EFF staff attorney.

CALEA, a law passed in the early 1990s, required that all telephone providers build surveillance backdoors into their networks. Due to pressure from EFF and other privacy groups, Congress expressly exempted information services like broadband. But the new details released on September 23rd show that the FCC has decided to ignore Congress's decision to protect the Internet, instead forcing all "facilities-based" providers of any type of broadband Internet access service, as well as interconnected VoIP services, to make their networks wiretap-ready. According to the FCC, all VoIP communications on a given service must be wiretap-ready if the VoIP service offers the capability for users to connect calls with the public switched telephone network (PSTN), even those communications that do not involve the PSTN.

Practically, what this means is that the government will be asking broadband providers -- as well as companies that manufacture devices used for broadband communications -- to create new backdoors for surveillance, imperiling the privacy and security of citizens on the Internet. It also hobbles technical innovation by forcing companies involved in broadband to redesign their products to meet government requirements.

Acknowledging that the FCC is reaching beyond Congress's intention by expanding CALEA to the Internet, FCC Commissioner Michael J. Copps admitted that "[the] statute is undeniably stretched," and FCC Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy issued a plea that Congress revisit its decision to exempt the Internet, stating the "application of CALEA to these new services could be stymied for years" by litigation.

"The FCC's overreach is an attempt to overrule Congress's decision to exclude 'information services,'" said EFF Senior Staff Attorney Lee Tien. "By mandating backdoors in any service that has the capability to replace functions provided by a telephone, the FCC has stretched the statute to the breaking point."

Kurt Opsahl
Staff Attorney
[email protected]
Posted at 12:09 AM

Last edited:
as for the DRM.... there is already a software company out there 'hacking' your computer, and it's completely legit because you agree to it in order to play thier game! What game is this? World of Warcraft from Blizzard!

Thier software lets them onto your system so that they can see EVERYTHING you have running on the system in RAM. They claim this is just to stop hackers/cheaters (which it may well be innocently enough all it does). However, what this means is that all it takes is any company doing the same thing and gaining total control over your system if they want to. MS putting something similar into windows? Don't bet against it. Game manufactures starting to do this to prevent anything but players THEY want in the game? Its already happening.

However, you can't run to Linux and think you'll be safe. Whatever limits put on you by law isn't going to be 'legal' to get around by going to linux. Linux makers will still have to play nice to use stuff like HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, media files encrypted with DRM, etc. You will STILL have the same limits placed upon you, however, using linux or anything else to crack those limits will be made illegal, even though the limits themselves illegally disallow us to use what we rightfully bought and own.

I'm not against the idea of DRM.
I'm not against having a (reasonable) DRM system on my computer.
I'm not even against the DRM that you mention in your third sentance (since that is NOT DRM [i am against whatever it is though ;)])

I'm also not against those of you who want to shove M$/Hollywood/RIAA/whoever's idea of DRM back where it came from. While I can live with it, I can also certiatnly live without it :D

Best of luck to the ADO! :) (anti-DRM overclockers)
JigPu

TollhouseFrank said:
as for the DRM.... there is already a software company out there 'hacking' your computer, and it's completely legit because you agree to it in order to play thier game! What game is this? World of Warcraft from Blizzard!

Thier software lets them onto your system so that they can see EVERYTHING you have running on the system in RAM. They claim this is just to stop hackers/cheaters (which it may well be innocently enough all it does). However, what this means is that all it takes is any company doing the same thing and gaining total control over your system if they want to. MS putting something similar into windows? Don't bet against it. Game manufactures starting to do this to prevent anything but players THEY want in the game? Its already happening.

However, you can't run to Linux and think you'll be safe. Whatever limits put on you by law isn't going to be 'legal' to get around by going to linux. Linux makers will still have to play nice to use stuff like HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, media files encrypted with DRM, etc. You will STILL have the same limits placed upon you, however, using linux or anything else to crack those limits will be made illegal, even though the limits themselves illegally disallow us to use what we rightfully bought and own.

And we are against. Steps on for getting around it.

Required matereals : Screwdriver
1. Turn off your pc.
2. Take your screwdriver and shove it up your big fat ethernet port.
3. Turn on your computer.
4. Enjoy
5. Now for the fine print: By doing this you hereby acknowledge I nor ocforums.com no overclockers.com shall be held liable for any damages of any sort inflicted directly or indirectly.

lol, nice. Im all for using DRM to help protect groups and all, but not for the basis of controlling the user down to the T. DRM for music? Ok, you should get the music you have legally anyways. DRM for deciding what can and cannot run on YOUR computer? No.

Sign me up.

Midnight Dream said:
lol, nice. Im all for using DRM to help protect groups and all, but not for the basis of controlling the user down to the T. DRM for music? Ok, you should get the music you have legally anyways. DRM for deciding what can and cannot run on YOUR computer? No.

Sign me up.

DRM when requires a internet connection has stretched a toe over the line. When it controls your pc there's no tolerance.

Dug this out from one of my old posts on the pentium d: here

Last edited:
That would really suck if they implemented DRM on music. Some of us have huge, completely legal backups on our computer... what if we didn't rip over all the 'licensing' crap... what if we just used mp3 with no tags? Just the thought of re-ripping my collection gives me shivers. :(

Back