• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tortuga - Part 1 (Lots of Pictures!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krazed

Registered
Well I took the dive this week and decided to start on my WaterCooling rig.

Initially, I was just going to use my old crappy case and mod it to death... but I was looking at newegg at work today and the Antec P180 caught my eye. So, I went to the local computer shop and picked one up. On the way home, I got myself a heater core, and two red LED 120mm fans.

The drive home is 20 miles.. and I live near a walmart... which seemed to have gotten the best of me. So I also purchased myself a new Dremel tool kit (Old one broke)

Today was just like Christmas! :santa: (Pictures down below)

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

More pictures!

There's actually a fan ontop of this, would be another great place for a Rad.
case3.jpg

120mm fan on the back, great spot for yet another Rad!
case4.jpg

Inside view
case5.jpg

Closeup
case6.jpg

Inside case without drivebays
case7.jpg

And the last two pictures are after I cut the case front for my Radiator. I'll put a support at the end of the devider that I cut, and I'm going to put in a drivebay between where the power supply goes and the radiator. (You'll see!)

case8.jpg

core1.jpg

It wasnt too bad when you compare them to the Lian-Li cases. I picked it up for $160 in town, but I'd say its worth it when you look at all the little features you get. Though, after chopping it up I don't have those features anymore :D

160? You're serious???

I got them for 116 in ATL for one of my system. They're on sale for 119 now online as well. Oh well, I couldn't bring myself to do that to my P180, so I went ahead and bought the Gigabyte 3D aurora instead which ended up costing me more - 145 shipped. Hopefully I have time to assemble my blue system this weekend.

Keep us posted with the result :)

Ack... I was thinking of investing in a P180, but have a single heatercore and want to put it along with my pump in the lower area....

After your hacking, do you think one would be able to fit a single core (6 1/8" x 7 3/8" x 2") plus 1.25" depth for fan and shroud, fitting it vertical or horizontal with the barbs facing the power supply?

That case is really so nice. how big a fan fits in the bottom section there? id be curious to know if you coudl fit a BIX2 on its end down there and have air flow fromside to side through it.
Really looking forward to this one.

Yeah its a pretty sick case, I havent had time to do much else to it yet since I posted the pics of that night. (Lots of alcohol involved this weekend!) and I haven't gotten my Watercooling stuff in yet from DD, but it should be here tomorrow.

But, yes theres lots of room to put single (And double) Core's throughout the case with and without hacking the drive tray's. I'm just doing it the way I thought it would best fit so I could still have a drivetray in.

You'll see more pictures this week, I promise! And if you guys want, I'll also post a link to the progress on my project car this winter (68 Barracuda), and my buddies as well (69 RoadRunner) if you guys are interested in cars that is.

Oh yeah, and maybe pics of their new puppy too! She's SO damn cute! 5 week old Boxer... cutest thing ever.

Yes! Boxer puppy pictures! Get lots and make em good!

Oh man I just relived the days when our two boys were wee pups :D

Well I'm at work right now, and off the top of my head I can't remember what its for! I'll have to give you the number when I get home later today.

Also, I'll be posting more pictures tonight of some progress. I put together the WC system just to make sure it worked and I knew what I was doing when it came to leak testing. And boy, was it leaky! Figured out the proper way to clamp the hoses though and I'll have to take it all apart and cut the hoses again. I did it extra long.

First time WCing is interesting to say the least. I love it! and after my Dremel tool burst into flames, I'm loving air tools more then ever.

Ever used a cutoff wheel on a case? Cuts like butter!

yeah i canna wait to see more im getting that case the li lian is way to espensie but that case is just right lol

im watercooling mine too but i need all the parts first so far i have watercooling and memory casee is next then mb and cpu then power and gfx canna wait!

the p180 is sweet i think!

I have the same exact case and was mulling over in my head how I was going to do watercooling in it (my first time also)!!!!

Glad you are making all the headway and I can just edit your look :)

suineg said:
Glad you are making all the headway and I can just edit your look :)

Ohhh cheater! :D

Yeah, I'm having fun chopping up the case, I'm almost done (I think) and will be putting it back together this weekend hopefully.

Thanks for all the comments and whatnot, very appreciated!

Oh by the way! Here's the HeaterCore I'm using right now. It's napa # 660 3026

Link: Napa Heater Core

For those interested I had to use a 3/8" to 1/2" flared adapter to screw and solder in, then a 1/2" hose barb to screw into that. (Couldnt find a double ended barb thats 3/8 to 1/2 unfortunately :( ) So beware!

There's also a post on here about a wonderful list of Heater Core's.

Link: Master Heater Core List

Back