• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My 3000 Winnie at 2.7GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rseven

Well, I have always wondered what this Winnie would do if I pulled out the stops and now I know, 2.7GHz, 9x300 1.6 vcore (temps hit 56c Priming!) Ram at 166 divider 2.5-3-3-7 1t 2.85vdimm. I really haven't gone crazy testing it's stability as I do not plan to run it at these settings. I did run a 16m Super Pi and an hour of Prime95 all without a problem. My hunch is it's very stable, but I can't and won't bother to prove it. The new 1.9 bios made a big difference in that I was unable to boot at 9x300 prior. Also, Supershanks should me a thread that suggested that upping the GPU core also ups the chipset core. I don't know this is true and I have seen it before, but I upped it to 1.55t anyway knowing it would do no harm as my case and gpu are well cooled.
Now, I'm going back to the mundane 9x282 clock in my sig, but it's nice to know what this chip can do when pushed. Doesn't look like I'll get a Venice any time soon.

So ur saying when u increase the AGP voltage in BIOS the chipset voltage is raised also?
Did u notice any improvement from this?

BTW nice clocks, If my winnie could do 2.7 I would of never gotten a veince either :p

MoPMatrix said:
So ur saying when u increase the AGP voltage in BIOS the chipset voltage is raised also?
Did u notice any improvement from this?

BTW nice clocks, If my winnie could do 2.7 I would of never gotten a veince either :p
Yes, MoPMatrix, I was very lucky with my Winnie. Niot long after I got it the OC's started to decline. As for increasing the gpu voltage to increse the chipset voltage, I have no idea if this is true. My quess is that it's another urban myth, but I really don't know for sure. I really don't know if it had any impact on the OC.

I'm running with 1.55v rather than 1.50v AGP on my 754 i don't get quite the same stability if I run @ stock. It's not that it creates a big deal temp wise. But given no other access to chipset voltage, it may be the tweak that does.

I've not got the patience to run prime for 12hours use OCCT - new program for testing stability

Supershanks, careful with OCCT it's idea of stability is a bit weak. It had me stble when I failed Super Pi and Prime95.

Not had a glitch on anything running any setup that's passed OCCT.
Running the 270 x 9 24/7
I find SP2004 better than prime.

rseven said:
Now, I'm going back to the mundane 9x282 clock in my sig, but it's nice to know what this chip can do when pushed. Doesn't look like I'll get a Venice any time soon.

Very nice! I think that any time you can get a 50% overclock you have to feel like your money was well spent. You might get a few more MHz and a few more frames out of some games and such, but day to day you would be hard pressed to notice any kind of significant improvement by going over to Venice.

Granted, if you were buying new today, then a Venice core chip would be the way to go.

For me, I have an add'l reason to stay with the Winnies...I would then have to go out and find a new avatar to replace my Winchester box label. I don't believe that I would like a gondola as my avatar and that is what I think of when I here "Venice".

If you all are getting 50% out of the 3000, would it be possible to see 35-40% from a 3500? I have'nt decided which core I'm going with venice or sandy and possible 3700 but if I can get nice oc with little or no vcore messing then the 3500 will do. Heat is not a problem and PSU in this rig is solid. I'm tempted to swap out the P4 for the A64 and go mostly Athlon. (Thanks to Harlam357 and his mind blowing XP ocs).

AlabamaCajun said:
If you all are getting 50% out of the 3000, would it be possible to see 35-40% from a 3500? I have'nt decided which core I'm going with venice or sandy and possible 3700 but if I can get nice oc with little or no vcore messing then the 3500 will do. Heat is not a problem and PSU in this rig is solid. I'm tempted to swap out the P4 for the A64 and go mostly Athlon. (Thanks to Harlam357 and his mind blowing XP ocs).
Overclocks are a crap shoot. You never know what you'll get. I figure the best bang for the buck is the 3000 Venice at $120 oem.
http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=A64-3000BP
The Sandy's seem to have more isses with the nf3 boards and frankly, it's a heck of a lot more money for a bigger cache. The X2's look really gret, but they still sell for a premium. I just built a 4400 X2 system for my bro tonight, but I haven't had a chance to put it through it's paces. Hmmm...I wonder if he'd know if I swapped cpu's? LOL

Reefa_Madness said:
Probably not...quick switch'm now before he comes to pick it up!
Hehe! I'ts a good thing I'm an honest man....well sort of honest. I get to play with this for a week as he is moving and obviously doesn't need the movers touching it. In the mean time I'll will have fun riding in my gondola. :)

Back