• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Project=It's a Cane Thing (56K WARNING!!!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TekeTorvo

This will be my first Computer Mod, but will probably be on-going. I have the Thermaltake Xaser III V1000A.

After MUCH thinking, I have decided to go with the Miami Hurricane Theme. The rest of the world may see Jacksonville Florida as the home of the Jaguars, if you live here you know we could get 5 more NFL tems, and this would still be a College Football town.

Disasembleing this beast was a chore in itself. No computer case should have this many parts, but the quality of the materials is awesome. Heavy gauge through-out, which explains why this thing weights so much.

165927.jpg

161059.jpg

161114.jpg

I used Red primer because it killed the bare metal, and black color, better than the white primer would have, and then I used white primer so as to not change the final color coat from what it should be.

I let my wife talk me into filling the case side where it say's "Thermaltake", and that has turned into a real pain trying to get it to look clean. Maybe tomorrow I can start the final coat on at least some of this project.

I never did like the way the side fans looked. Also, I want the side fan to be 120mm, and cool directly to the Prosessor, through a tunnel. I would have had to have half the 120mm fan in metal, and half in the glass, (plastic).

Sooo, a cutting we shall go.

2005_0607_202547.jpg

I moved the handle to the bottom. looking at the picture, it looks like the handle is into the Thermaltake letters, but it really did turn out pretty good. The camera is angled. Doesn't matter anyways, it is getting filled in now.

Looking for some ideas for the front where the;

T
H
E
R
M
A
L
T
A
K
E

is that is backlit. I have though about putting LED's in the existing plexi-glass, and etching in;

H
U
R
R
I
C
A
N
E
S

But I'm not sure how that will turn out, and I don't want to mess up this piece of plexi glass to find out I didn't like it.

I had a major set back today. I had the front, and both case sides painted with a final coat, and it looked sweet. I decided to add a Laquer clear coat, and...well...clear coat doesn't always end up clear. It was foggy in some places, and others looked great. I am a Construction Superintendent by trade, so my Quality Control standards are pretty high, and this was unacceptable. Thats when things got REALLY bad. I sanded off the gloss, and primered again. The primer cracked everywhere the gloss was even slightly still there. I ended up scrapeing that piece to bare metal, and starting over.

No pictures today, because I am slightly embarrased, because after that one piece, I found I can just sand as much of the gloss off, and recoat it with a gloss paint, and it didn't crack like the flat primer did.

On a positive note, the "Thermaltake" that was on the side, is completely filled in, with not a single blemish. I also feel the need to mention the primer I used. This Primer is the best stuff on the planet. It will fills huge cracks, and it takes ALOT to make this stuff run, meaning you can spray it on THICK.

RedDragonXXX said:
Go Jaguars, can't wait for the season to begin :attn:

Lot of people from Jacksonville on these forums and I'm one of them.
Wow...yet another guy from the local area! w00t. What part are you from TekeTorvo?

Although I call myself a Southside guy most of my life, My family and myself live on the Westside.

Nothing wrong with being a perfectionist. I'm sure you'll get the paint adhesion issues worked out. Nice job so far...keep us posted!

Back