• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NAKED 3500 Venice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Joe Camel

Senior Camel Kicker
ive been wanting to do this for a long time, but never had the balz to do it.... till now. ("thanks" DFI...)
with the 2x sided blade, it was CAKE!!

3500 Venice:

pict02572qg.jpg

im blow'n away just how thick this thing is!! (.094")

pict02595gs.jpg

now lets see how well the Storm G5 *REALLY* works...:attn:

Last edited:
I've read about people getting as much as 5 degr. c. temp drops after removing the heatspreader. Please post your before and after temps.

DaWiper said:
I've read about people getting as much as 5 degr. c. temp drops after removing the heatspreader. Please post your before and after temps.
that would be nice

the problem with people who go right to a64 and take the heatspreader off, they dont know how tight is too tigh, and can crack a core. but DAMN that die is tiny! even compaired to a s754 newark dies. those IHS's can make such bad contact it can kill a chip ocing capabilities.

ive been having a REAL bad time with my rig latley....BSOD from CD boot

as of right now, its not posting but i had this problem yesterday (when the IHS was still on) so its clearing CMOS for a while.

i *REALLY* dont think i screwed up the CPU :crossfingers:

i was getting 25C (idle) on STOCK settings (IHS on)...its in the basement with an AC unit (in addition to central air) so its like 67F down there :cool:

this is the loop cooling it:

pict02419pf.jpg

Last edited:
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
the problem with people who go right to a64 and take the heatspreader off, they dont know how tight is too tigh, and can crack a core. but DAMN that die is tiny! even compaired to a s754 newark dies. those IHS's can make such bad contact it can kill a chip ocing capabilities.
ya, with the (stupid) 939 setup's only having the 2 mounting screws, its *NOT* a very secure feeling / mount!

Joe Camel said:
ya, with the (stupid) 939 setup's only having the 2 mounting screws, its *NOT* a very secure feeling / mount!

i totally agree with you, my chaintech board has 6 mounting holes, the 2 traditional a64 ones, and then 4 other holes. I wonder if they line up with the AXP holes. That is one VERY clean looking loop, ilike the shroud you made for that Rad. And it doesnt look like you damaged that CPU, if you did, youd see a cut in a transistor, which i didnt see, so i say your in the clear. how hard was doing that? i really wanna try it, but like you said earlier, i havent had the balz to do it either.

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
Well, If someone remove the heatspreader they should also be aware that they need more pressure on the HS to make good contact.
As far as I can from the pictures I've seen until now is that the core isn't that much smaller than a AXP core.
But it's still small and probably easy to crack, maybe even easier to crack than the axp core due to the mounting bracket system on 754/939 :shrug:.

DaWiper said:
Well, If someone remove the heatspreader they should also be aware that they need more pressure on the HS to make good contact.
As far as I can from the pictures I've seen until now is that the core isn't that much smaller than a AXP core.
But it's still small and probably easy to crack, maybe even easier to crack than the axp core due to the mounting bracket system on 754/939 :shrug:.

nope, other way around...(sorta..i know where your comming from)

simple example: if the springs put 4 lbs of weight/pressure on a CPU thats 1in square then that puts 4lb/square in. now lets say the IHS = 4 square in... then it works out to 1lb/square in.

since in "reality" ;) the ratio of CPU die to IHS is WAY bigger, you need to put even LESS pressure on the die to get what you got with the IHS on.

BUT: the only way to have a "stable" mount with only 2x holes is to crank them sucka's down!! its tricky!!

got it to boot ONCE... :rolleyes: and she idled @ 23C. then i changed the chipset fan to go 100% @ 26C in BIOS, F10,...3 lights...no beeps...do all the reboot "tricks"...3 lights...no beeps...

this is on a DFI Ultra D (NF4) mobo (that i HAVE used the BIOS with the over volt bug and probly did run +126% with boot V @ 1.5 :bang head im back to 3/10 now but.....) so ya, thats why i stripped it, its probly on its death bed anyway :cry:

Last edited:
CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
i totally agree with you, my chaintech board has 6 mounting holes, the 2 traditional a64 ones, and then 4 other holes. I wonder if they line up with the AXP holes. That is one VERY clean looking loop, ilike the shroud you made for that Rad. And it doesnt look like you damaged that CPU, if you did, youd see a cut in a transistor, which i didnt see, so i say your in the clear. how hard was doing that? i really wanna try it, but like you said earlier, i havent had the balz to do it either.
TOTALLY easy!!

the blade is SOOO THIN, it literally slides under the IHS (in the gap of the "glue" on the one side) and then its sorta like cutting Tygon tube with a dull blade...sorta

you need to put some force behind it and try to keep the blade FLAT to the CPU PCB (you *can* shave into it if your sloppy!)

i taped off the blade for my protection and to "mark" about how deep i thought i should/could go...probly went too thin the first few cuts, i ended up going around 3+ times

after that it lifted right off

edit:
well, that killed enough CMOS clear time...lets try again :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that.
I get your point. Cuz of the smaller core less pressure is needed to make contact/crush it. My thoughts was that due to the lower height of the cpu without the heatspreader you would need tighter springs to get enough pressure. I guess there is a fine limit between to much and to little.

DaWiper said:
Sorry to hear that.
I get your point. Cuz of the smaller core less pressure is needed to make contact/crush it. My thoughts was that due to the lower height of the cpu without the heatspreader you would need tighter springs to get enough pressure. I guess there is a fine limit between to much and to little.
:bang head :bang head TOTALLY true...i didnt even think of that since i knew i was NOT going to be putting my XP-90 on this thing...there is NO WAY to mount that thing without tipping it (under pressure) on this dinky lil thing!!

I removd mine along time ago and it was the best thing that i ever did in my lifetime. My temps went down like almost 6 degrees and clocks went up about 80 mhz.
Also removing the heatspreader fixed the jumping temps problem.

My advice is to take it off. Its scary doin it but its well worth it.
Jsut be careful the core is soo soo soo delicate. I cracked off 2 corners already off my core.

(EDIT: @Joe Camel's last post)
I know. I have one myself. I currently see no way of mounting the xp90 without tipping it. That maneuver crushed ALOT of AXP cores. I dont have the guts(or the money) to try it right now. I probably will though.

chris64 said:
Jsut be careful the core is soo soo soo delicate. I cracked off 2 corners already off my core.

You are lucky that it's still alive.... Not everybody gets away with a broken core. :)

I cracked off a little piece of the corner, too, trying to get a xp-120 on it. I had to change my underwear after that little stunt.

Skeen said:
I cracked off a little piece of the corner, too, trying to get a xp-120 on it. I had to change my underwear after that little stunt.

I know the feeling. I've only cracked a core once. Then I cracked two corners just to be sure :D Luckily a forum member advised me to do good cleaning of the cpu and apply ordinary non conductive tim and test it once more. It worked! It was a great feeling.

heres a pic:
crushc.jpg

Back