• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Iwill DH800 versus Asus NCCH-DL review, using same components

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dustybyrd

DH800 Positives:

-adjustable vcore in bios up to 1.6v (so i can lower the vcore w/ a quick reboot if it's a hot day)--ncch-dl has no vcore adjustment, but you can pin mod for more voltage

-easy temperature / voltage monitoring in windows, w/o using cpu resources (the ncch-dl temp monitoring uses 5-10% of cpu resources and you can’t use clockgen at the same time)

-easier to install heatsinks (backplate is screwed into board instead of taped, and it fits in only one way, so no weird aligning to get it in)

-better placement of 24pin power connector (at top, instead of bottom for ncch-dl)

-max of 2.9v for VDIMM, versus 2.8v on the ncch-dl

-can boot at 201+mhz fsb with high mulitplier xeons (2.66-3.2ghz xeons)...you can only use 2.4ghz or slower to boot at 200mhz+ on the ncch-dl

-higher max fsb, if you can get it stable (the ncch-dl only goes to 233mhz)

DH800 Negatives:

-costs more, and it's even worse if you want more than the 2-port RAID

-doesn't restart properly, must use reset button after shutdown from a restart

-no onboard 4-port promise RAID, ncch-dl has 2-port intel and 4-port promise SATA RAID—DH800 does have 2-port Adaptec RAID

-almost no clearance between bottom cpu heatsink and agp video card, so using a VGA-silencer cooler for 9700pro was not possible

-had to pin mod the sockets with two pins per socket in order to boot at 200mhz fsb

-manual really, really sucks...very little important, basic information (like fsb jumper settings--i had to use 2cpu.com to get the jumpers correct)

-doesn't report actual VDIMM, no sensor for it

Other comments:

-exactly the same overclock with the same cpus at 1.6v for both...3.5ghz (4x prime95 stable), will benchmark at 3.57ghz max for both, but not prime95 stable

-at precisely 200mhz fsb, windows runs at 100mhz fsb, for half the final clock speed, even though the post speed is correct (doesn't really matter though since at 201+mhz, the final speeds are correct in windows)---this can be a benefit (only on rev. 1.0), in that you can boot at 201+mhz with higher multipler cpus, like the 3-3.2ghz xeons

-DH800 will not run cas 2,3,2,5 in windows, even when set in the bios, unless you force it with Tw865 program or use 166mhz jumper settings....instead the memory runs at cas 2.5,3,2,5, even though the spd ratings for the RAM are indeed 2,3,2,5---however, benchmarks (PCmark2004, Video encoding, SuperPi) were the same for both dh800 and ncch-dl

-haven't tested final highest fsb speed yet, will test and report later…note that if you can get it stable, the DH800 has the option of higher than 233mhz fsb, which is the limit of the NCCH-DL

So the decision over which board is best for you...is up to you :)

Last edited:
Still sounds like the real winner on the Xeon boards is the PC-DL..I am glad i did not go DH-800 cause I considered it..Being cheap saved me again LMAO..

The problem with the pc-dl, is no pci-x slots, (which to some is very important), and no native support for 64bit, of which lets face it, is the future.

Actually ya can flash bios for 64 bit support .. And ya no PCI X .. However from an overclockers stand point the PC-DL owns the Xeon ....

Yes,1 can flash for 64bit support, but the Vrm's more than likely would cook under the extra load, not quite a real solution there.
I disagree with the pc-dl "Owning" anything, my 2x2.4 D1 stepping chips will run at 222fsb on this board, were it a set of better MO's I am sure it would match or beat the speed you achieved, and thats without physical mods other than U-Wire mods.
I think however, that for the overall, the PC-DL is a good board, tho there are good and bad boards amongst the 3 in question.

for a dual xeon budget machine, there really is no beating the pc-dl...and you don't sacrifice that many accoutrements...two separate RAID options (that the Iwill doesn't have anyway), pci-X slots, and real 64bit support...

you do have be willing to do some or a lot of modding to get it to run well or great, respectively...which really shouldn't be a hindrance (i mean, we are overclockers :D ), but it is more work and greater risk for damage.

i am currently using 3 hard drives in one pci-x slot...and in a 33mhz pci slot, i would be severely hindered...

with the advent of dual core and the lack of intel producing cpu's exceeding 4ghz, a dual 64bit nocona will be an excellent performer (on par with dual core Extreme Edition) for several years...and 64bit may be necessary soon for the new windows...

where is (are) the threads showing someone got noconas to work properly with the 64bit beta windows? not that i don't believe you, but this should be posted for those interested...though i can't imagine what the temp on the single VRM would be with dual noconas without some special, heavy cooling...it's already known that the one VRM begins to cook when overclocking prestonias

veryhumid said:
has anyone found that the chipset voltage on the ncch-dl can stabilize an overclock? is there a risk of over-volting it?

with very good case airflow and / or a small 40mm fan on the heatsink, you can easily up the voltage on the chipset...

several people have claimed increased stability with increase vcore on the chipset...Big Lar, myself, and...?

i used 1.7v and a 40mm fan

i was just trying to figure out how pik4chu mounted his fan on. I actually have a whole nb-1 around, but the passive one on the asus seems pretty hot, I think it will help to cool it. Can i maybe zip tie it to the 4 loops in the motherboard?

also do you know anything about the +1.5/1.25V measurement? I found it in the asus utility and mine was above the first highmark that is set so the alarm icon keeps flashing. it's at 1.68 right now :eh?:

I have a 40mm fan on my NB, and have the voltage max'd, 1.8 I believe.
I personally have never installed the asus utility here, so i am of no help there.
I must stress tho, that Anyone who overclocks on the NCCH-DL, should have some damn fine air movement across the NB/VRM's, or you will have probs.

Well on my NCCH-DL I can get upto 233FSB easily with a single CPU, with both CPU's it's another story! Right now I'm at 3.45Ghz 216FSB, anything higher will get a BSOD sooner or later. The system is always fully loaded running F@H btw.

Last edited:
MaStA said:
How does the Patriot PDC22G6400LLK ram overclock?

Thanks,
Jared

you might find more in the storage and memory section...but in any case, they don't overclock well at the tight 4,4,4,12,4 timings that i run them at...maybe a few mhz...

i haven't really pushed them past 400mhz, because i use the memory divider that allows me to hit 15x320, giving me 4.8ghz (the temp, voltage acceptable limit of my chip) with 400mhz (800 effective) memory speed

dustybyrd said:
you might find more in the storage and memory section...but in any case, they don't overclock well at the tight 4,4,4,12,4 timings that i run them at...maybe a few mhz...

i haven't really pushed them past 400mhz, because i use the memory divider that allows me to hit 15x320, giving me 4.8ghz (the temp, voltage acceptable limit of my chip) with 400mhz (800 effective) memory speed

Thank you for responding. I decided that I am going to call UPS when Newegg ships the ram and get them to turn the package around back to Newegg for a refund. Newegg won't cancel the order...so they can just eat their shipping charges. Anyhow ZZF has Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 for $199.99 after a $40 rebate http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80061-9&ps=ho4. These things clock very well from the review here http://eclipseoc.com/index.php?id=1,65,0,0,1,0

I originally bought the open box Patriot for $205.XX, but I figured I can get better clocking ram, $5 cheaper AR, and I won't have to worry about Patriot ever honoring the warranty on a open box purchased set of ram.

Jared

Back